Show off your Mods - Page 47 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #921

Texas
Level Up Control Panel Relocation

I've made several mods to our V4000, but relocating the Level Up control panel is by far my favorite. I have chronic neck issues and ducking my head into the basement to see the control panel was becoming the worst part of setting up and breaking down. To solve the problem, I moved the control panel to a plastic enclosure mounted to a small TV swing arm mount. Now I can pull the control panel out of the basement without ducking and can easily operate it while watching the jacks and trailer.
Copy my example at your own risk.
I bought the Serpac brand plastic enclosure at Fry’s, the TV mount on Amazon and miscellaneous hardware at Lowe’s. I disconnected the AC power and the battery, then removed the Level Up control panel and bezel and finally disconnected the connector at the back of the control panel. I lined up the Level Up bezel with the Serpac plastic enclosure, marked the mounting holes, drilled them and eyeballed where I would need to trim the plastic enclosure so that the Level Up bezel would fit. I used a Dremel to make the cut out in the plastic enclosure. I drilled holes in the back of the plastic enclosure and mounted it to the TV swing arm. I test assembled everything on the kitchen table then installed the TV mount in the basement. There is a 1” x 2” “stud” behind the basement wall just inside of the curb side basement door that is substantial enough to support the weight of the mount and control panel. There is just enough room for the basement door strut to clear everything when the door is closed. There is about 4 feet of slack in the control panel cable, I added another layer of “split loom” plastic to the cable to protect it, I then fished the cable through a hole I drilled in the Serpac plastic enclosure, then through the Level Up Bezel and plugged it into the control panel. I tie wrapped the cable to the TV swing arm with plenty of slack so that it doesn’t get pinched or bound. I reconnected the battery and tested.
It has been a few weeks since the mod and so far so good, I adjusted the tension on the TV swing arm mount so that it pulls out easily, but doesn’t seem to move at all while on the road.

If anyone wants more pictures of any of the parts PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0296.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	3880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0298.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	3881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0294.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3882  

Old 03-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #922

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefinger View Post
I've made several mods to our V4000, but relocating the Level Up control panel is by far my favorite. I have chronic neck issues and ducking my head into the basement to see the control panel was becoming the worst part of setting up and breaking down. To solve the problem, I moved the control panel to a plastic enclosure mounted to a small TV swing arm mount. Now I can pull the control panel out of the basement without ducking and can easily operate it while watching the jacks and trailer.
I bought the Serpac brand plastic enclosure at Fry’s, the TV mount on Amazon and miscellaneous hardware at Lowe’s. I disconnected the AC power and the battery, then removed the Level Up control panel and bezel and finally disconnected the connector at the back of the control panel. I lined up the Level Up bezel with the Serpac plastic enclosure, marked the mounting holes, drilled them and eyeballed where I would need to trim the plastic enclosure so that the Level Up bezel would fit. I used a Dremel to make the cut out in the plastic enclosure. I drilled holes in the back of the plastic enclosure and mounted it to the TV swing arm. I test assembled everything on the kitchen table then installed the TV mount in the basement. There is a 1” x 2” “stud” behind the basement wall just inside of the curb side basement door that is substantial enough to support the weight of the mount and control panel. There is just enough room for the basement door strut to clear everything when the door is closed. There is about 4 feet of slack in the control panel cable, I added another layer of “split loom” plastic to the cable to protect it, I then fished the cable through a hole I drilled in the Serpac plastic enclosure, then through the Level Up Bezel and plugged it into the control panel. I tie wrapped the cable to the TV swing arm with plenty of slack so that it doesn’t get pinched or bound. I reconnected the battery and tested.
It has been a few weeks since the mod and so far so good, I adjusted the tension on the TV swing arm mount so that it pulls out easily, but doesn’t seem to move at all while on the road.

I love it!! Great idea!! There isn't even a light in the area close to my level up controls.....yet.

Congrats!!

Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #923

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefinger View Post

Very nice. I've been wanting to relocate mine for awhile now. Not sure where yet, but I like this idea!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #924

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Very nice. I've been wanting to relocate mine for awhile now. Not sure where yet, but I like this idea!

Now that is slick!!! And useful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #925

California
Awning & Step LED

In an effort is "keep up with the Joneses" I just had to have LEDs under the awning and steps as my 3200 was lacking in both areas. The step lights were the easiest....cut the wires from the OEM orange marker lights, connect to the LED strip and viola let there be light.

The awning lights a bit more involved. Feed wire down the front awning arm. Drilled a hole through the wall next to the awning power (at the bottom of the arm). Wire was then feed through the LPG compartment to the batteries in the front compartment . The wireless LED controller (UHF) lives in the front compartment and still has great coverage (30+ ft so far).

(not sure why the awning pics a horizontal....the arms are vertical I swear)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170526_155946.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	4170   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_155639.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	4171   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_214950.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	4172  
Edewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #926

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edewing View Post
In an effort is "keep up with the Joneses" I just had to have LEDs under the awning and steps as my 3200 was lacking in both areas. The step lights were the easiest....cut the wires from the OEM orange marker lights, connect to the LED strip and viola let there be light.
Eris, got to have the blue step LED's. Source please!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #927

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
"Aspect LED" single color (blue) IP68 waterproof. I bought the 16' roll and cut to length.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #928

Texas
Thanks Eric

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #929

Texas
Quote:

The awning lights a bit more involved. Feed wire down the front awning arm. Drilled a hole through the wall next to the awning power (at the bottom of the arm). Wire was then feed through the LPG compartment to the batteries in the front compartment . The wireless LED controller (UHF) lives in the front compartment and still has great coverage (30+ ft so far).

(not sure why the awning pics a horizontal....the arms are vertical I swear)
I have a very manual and pain in the butt set-up for awning led's. I really like your set-up. Which lights did you go with and how are they attached?
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:13 PM   #930
Site Team

North Carolina
For awning lights I like the Boogey Lights, not the cheapest, but you can't beat the quality and the available options. I haven't ordered mine yet, but I have a couple of buddies that are using them and love them.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #931

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Believe it or not, Walmart sells a two pack of Blue LED lights perfect for this in the auto department.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:38 AM   #932

Texas
Quote:
Believe it or not, Walmart sells a two pack of Blue LED lights perfect for this in the auto department.
That's super thanks Don

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2017, 04:46 AM   #933

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
I have a very manual and pain in the butt set-up for awning led's. I really like your set-up. Which lights did you go with and how are they attached?
I used a RGB strip for 12V which I attached with a silicone adhesive....which is holding amazingly well. I chose the fully water proof strip (IP 68) which is entirely encased in a silicone type material which 3M double stick tape will not stick to (tried it).

I used four 18G wires (power, red, green, blue) for the connection which barely fit behind the awning bracket. If you were looking to use a RGBW (has white lights also) there will be an additional wire which in order to fit you would need a lesser gauge wire maybe 20G to make it fit. Electrical is not my strongest area so I would ask (or maybe someone else could chime in) on the safest gauge wire for a 16' strip....I know they don't draw much.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:52 AM   #934

California
Quote:
That was the first place I checked....but in our little town that wasn't happening. So I went to the store next door named "The Internet" (very busy place in our neck of the woods) where the selection was unreal.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #935

Michigan
Serpac enclosure

Which model Serpac did you use? There are literally tons on their webpage!

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #936

Michigan
added these under the couches to hang Bikes

Gives me more room on the floor!.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/786689...57681626793553
Pinshootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #937

Arizona
Quote:
That was the first place I checked....but in our little town that wasn't happening. So I went to the store next door named "The Internet" (very busy place in our neck of the woods) where the selection was unreal.
Went to walmart the other day, and picked up the two pack of Blue LED's they had two types on display, I went with the brighter ones.

Removed the old orange puck lights and installed the strips under each set of steps, took about 15 minutes total.

Huge improvement for the understep lighting!

Gear
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #938

Michigan
JT Strongarm kit finally installed! Was VERY easy...

Will see how they perform next weekend at MIS.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:35 AM   #939

Arizona
Added a couple decals to my Ramp Door.

Name:	Ramp Door.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	4203
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #940

Michigan
Got the Curt hutch installed. Pretty beefy and doubles as skid plates. Had to move the license plate over to clear it