Coleman 300tq - Page 5 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #81

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
I have been thinking about building something to bridge the gap as well. I was thinking of doing it the same way with table legs and a board. Then I might cover all of it with a 2 or 3 inch memory foam mattress topper. An air mattress would work great too as stated above. It's usually just my kids sleeping back there so comfort isn't too important to them yet.

I think what's more important to me right now is replacing the mattress up front. I think I would be better just pulling it and sleeping on the board beneath it. Any of you guys replace that one yet? Is it just a standard short queen 60"x75"? I forgot to measure when I had it out.
For the main bed I purchased a mattress extension from Amazon that goes at the head of the bed plus I bought a memory foam mattress topper from Costco. I don't have any complaints.

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #82

Maine
Quote:
I have been thinking about building something to bridge the gap as well. I was thinking of doing it the same way with table legs and a board. Then I might cover all of it with a 2 or 3 inch memory foam mattress topper. An air mattress would work great too as stated above. It's usually just my kids sleeping back there so comfort isn't too important to them yet.

I think what's more important to me right now is replacing the mattress up front. I think I would be better just pulling it and sleeping on the board beneath it. Any of you guys replace that one yet? Is it just a standard short queen 60"x75"? I forgot to measure when I had it out.
I do agree that the mattress sucks. We purchased a 4" memory foam pad to put on top. Since it's just my wife and I, the back will be my mancave when the bike isn't in there

Buddy Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #83

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
For the main bed I purchased a mattress extension from Amazon that goes at the head of the bed plus I bought a memory foam mattress topper from Costco. I don't have any complaints.
I haven't measured the bed yet either. Did you get the extension to make it the same as a standard mattress? We were just talking about sheets and need to measure, not sure if it's a queen or double.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #84

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmurdock View Post
I haven't measured the bed yet either. Did you get the extension to make it the same as a standard mattress? We were just talking about sheets and need to measure, not sure if it's a queen or double.
We purchased the bed extenders,, and they work like they claim.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #85

New Hampshire
We did get out and measure everything, the front bed is a standard short queen of 60x75 and the rear bed is standard queen of 60x80. We decided against the mattress extender for now. We're both side/stomach sleepers, and I prefer my feet to hang off the end when on my stomach. The bed extender would put it right against the wall so this wouldn't be possible. We'll find out in the future if we change our mind LOL. Also ordered a mattress topper for the rear bed.

Decided against doing anything to bridge the gap between the rear sofas for the time being. I hadn't realized you could get the bunk to come so far down making it a reasonable primary bed there. I was thinking you'd have to climb into it, making it something we wouldn't want to use for friends. So until a big group trip with friends, we'll leave the sofas as 2 beds instead of 1.

Also noticed the ridiculous faux leather trim piece on the edge of the upper bunk rail. I'm wondering if our was mounted upside down, or did they seriously make this stupid flimsy trim that would not work with the ladder. Our trim piece screws in at the bottom edge and extends up to the hight of the mattress. Looks good that way, but completely un-functional. First it would bend and break out of the way with the first person sleeping up there, just the blankets would bend it away. Second, the ladder can't hook the edge with it. Simple answer is to pop the screw covers and flip it over, ASSUMING the screw holes are the same. We shall see next time I'm working on it.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:28 AM   #86

Oregon
Your right about the rear bed trim piece. When I got on the bed in the lowest position, I thought this will break off. I think I will replace it with wood trim.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #87

Maine
Anyone think about drilling lower holes for the rear top bunk?
Old 06-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #88

Oregon
I think the pins are only to prevent the bed from dropping when you don't want it to. You can pull the pins and lower the bed anywhere on the track and sleep on it without being pinned.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #89

Maine
A nicer mattress on that would make sense . No matter how you bridge the gap on the back couches, it still won't be comfortable.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #90

New Hampshire
If I remember correctly from the manual, the pins for the bunk is not needed or intended to hold it up while people are sleeping on it. It sounded like a positive lock in the motor that wouldn't allow it to come down. I think a chain would have to break, and one wouldn't drop it. Although having them in place near whatever level you put it at can't be a bad thing as a positive backup. There are holes at the bottom, and near the top, but you're right, you could certainly add more if you planned to use it at various places.

Agreed on the comfort of turning the sofas into one bed. Although as twins I can't imaging they're very comfortable either. Obviously they're geared more towards the kids. Now that I realized the top bunk comes all the way down, I'm in no rush to bridge it and make a single bed below. We'd only use it for that rare occasion when we have a 3rd couple joining us.

We just ordered a 3 inch memory foam topper for the top bunk. Once we have it, I wanted to try the top bunk pad, along with the mattress pad on the lower bunk. just to see how it works. That pad is so stiff, if might help smooth out some of the bumps. This may turn into one of those "thoughts" that never comes to be anyway LOL
Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #91

Maine
The back couches aren't long enough to sleep an adult on them. I am 6' and my legs hung off at the knees
Old 06-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #92

Colorado
I am still debating on just removing the rear two lower beds. This would take away using the table back there but I don't think I would use it anyway. This would open up more room for my toys and then I could throw an air mattress on the floor for an extra bed.

I don't know, so many different options. I think I'm just going to have to go camping more to figure it out.
Casper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #93

Maine
Quote:
I am still debating on just removing the rear two lower beds. This would take away using the table back there but I don't think I would use it anyway. This would open up more room for my toys and then I could throw an air mattress on the floor for an extra bed.

I don't know, so many different options. I think I'm just going to have to go camping more to figure it out.
I'll leave the back bunk area the way it is. Nobody will be sleeping there since it is usually just me & my wife
Old 06-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #94

Oregon
Just curious if you guys have checked the gasket in the upper corner of your ramp for a tight seal. I could see daylight coming through the left hand corner of mine. I have since fixed it but it would have been a leak for sure. Plus I needed to put a extra bead of silicone along the top molding...
Old 06-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #95

Maine
Quote:
Just curious if you guys have checked the gasket in the upper corner of your ramp for a tight seal. I could see daylight coming through the left hand corner of mine. I have since fixed it but it would have been a leak for sure. Plus I needed to put a extra bead of silicone along the top molding...

I did check mine and saw no leaks. I did have to tighten the nuts that attach the locking mechanism to the rear of the camper. They were all finger tight.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #96

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Seymour View Post
Anyone think about drilling lower holes for the rear top bunk?
I drilled holes between top stop and lower stop. This was because when some is using that room we can put cloths and blankets, and I can still use the dinette. I also replaced sleeping pad with a real mattress it is a California Queen.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #97

New Hampshire
Quote:
I did check mine before picking it up from the dealer after reading your post about it. No gaps on mine either.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #98

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Seymour View Post
I did check mine and saw no leaks. I did have to tighten the nuts that attach the locking mechanism to the rear of the camper. They were all finger tight.
I also have no gaps in my seals but I did have to tighten the locking mechanisms. They were less than finger tight on mine.

Have any of you seen the new 2018 300TQ's? They have a full sized rear door. If I would have known they were going to change that I may have waited. I got a smoking deal on mine but if I ever have the need to haul a side by side then it really limits me there. Oh well. I still really enjoy this trailer compared to my pop-up.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #99

New Hampshire
Quote:
Have any of you seen the new 2018 300TQ's? They have a full sized rear door. If I would have known they were going to change that I may have waited.
There was only one left at the dealer when I saw it, so didn't see a 2018. Where I just got this 2 weeks ago, I might have waited as well. I've yet to load the bikes in, but with 2 full size bikes, I thought it might be a little weird getting them in through the narrower door. I know there's room to pull forward, then back into place. But I wondered if getting the rear of the bikes away from center might be a bit tough. Although, I would imaging the construction of the trailer itself is stronger with the narrow door. Should make for less twisting in the rear.

Speaking of there being only one left at the dealer... I had searched a 500 miles radius of Camping World's stock 3 weeks before we bought ours. There were 3-4 at each dealer, which I believe was 5 dealers total. When we got ours, we got the last one in that same 500 miles search. And luckily, it was the dealer closest to us So I'm guessing this is a popular model. It really did seem to fill a hole in the toy hauler market. You either got smaller with the toy area in the living room, or much bigger and more $$$ to get a true garage in back like we have. It's certainly what drew us to this model over anything else.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #100

Colorado
I've had our 4 dirt bikes in the back already and it wasn't too hard to situate them in there. Full size road bikes would be a different story I think. I'm not sure on the construction stand point if it would be more sturdy but that extra room would be nice. I can work with this one but would have been nice to have that option for the future.

I pulled the last one from around my area back in October as well. I would have preferred a shorter one and wasn't worried about the separate garage area. My wife on the other hand wanted the garage area because of the fumes. I figured since she was going to let me buy one that I would let her have what she wanted! The price, space, and garage is what sold us on it.