Coleman 300tq - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #1

Oregon
Coleman 300tq

I am interested in any feedback on the Coleman 300tq Toy Hauler. I have owned several bumper pull Toy Haulers and to be honest it's the price that draws me to the 300tq. I am done paying 40k+ for a Toy Hauler of this size.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #2

Kentucky
Welcome...
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #3

Florida
I have the Coleman CTS 16 FB a lot smaller than what you are looking at, but there are only two of us and three chihuahuas. ours is built pretty well, wooden trusses and studs, aluminum siding and it pleases us, I did a few mods to "make it my own"
Old 03-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #4

Colorado
I bought a Coleman 300TQ back in October. It's a very nice trailer with a lot of bang for your buck. I was in the same boat as you. I'm not going to pay $40k+ for a trailer that I will pull around and camp with during the warm months.

So I did some shopping and I am very pleased with my purchase. I ended up haggling mine down to right at $18k because of the time of year I bought it and having ties with the GM of one of the Camping Worlds here in Colorado.

If you can handle a trailer with out some of the fancy/convenient stuff like the others have then this is a great trailer.
Casper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

Oregon
I did buy a 2017 300tq Toy Hauler. I have to admit it was the price that got me there msrp 33.4k on sale for 23.4k. I compared the features to my last Toy Hauler a 30WR Work and Play which when I bought it new in 2011 was priced well but I had to drive over 1000 miles to get that price. That same trailer today in a 30WRS here on the west coast msrp is over 50k. Almost half the price. The W&P has FRP siding and where the Coleman has aluminum. The Coleman has a heated sealed underbelly the W&P did not. Coleman wired for 3 tv's the W&P wasn't. The Coleman has a electric bed in the Garage the W&P did not (but I think it was a option). Niether one has a generator but I carry my own.

I have only had the Coleman 300tq for two weeks and have not even used it yet but I think it will be a good fit.

I think they are selling well one dealer I was looking at had two now they don't have any!

Since I got the 300tq I added a electric tongue jack, Door grab handles, step carpeting, sewer and ladder storage.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I did buy a 2017 300tq Toy Hauler. I have to admit it was the price that got me there msrp 33.4k on sale for 23.4k. I compared the features to my last Toy Hauler a 30WR Work and Play which when I bought it new in 2011 was priced well but I had to drive over 1000 miles to get that price. That same trailer today in a 30WRS here on the west coast msrp is over 50k. Almost half the price. The W&P has FRP siding and where the Coleman has aluminum. The Coleman has a heated sealed underbelly the W&P did not. Coleman wired for 3 tv's the W&P wasn't. The Coleman has a electric bed in the Garage the W&P did not (but I think it was a option). Niether one has a generator but I carry my own.

I have only had the Coleman 300tq for two weeks and have not even used it yet but I think it will be a good fit.

I think they are selling well one dealer I was looking at had two now they don't have any!

Since I got the 300tq I added a electric tongue jack, Door grab handles, step carpeting, sewer and ladder storage.

Thanks for your comments.
I also added the electric tongue jack, extremely nice upgrade.

Where did you get your door handles and what did you do for sewer and ladder storage? I am just getting into this trailer form a pop-up so I'm still trying to figure things out.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Oregon
Double Post
Old 03-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Oregon
I got the handles from Camping World

I did the vinyl fence post mod for the sewer and ladder storage and painted them black.
I put the ladder storage to the left of the rear steps and put locks on it so it won't walk away.

I put the sewer hose storage to the left of the front steps. The access is from the left side of the trailer.

I also added a second battery with power cutoff switch.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 AM   #9

Texas
How did you mount your sewer hose storage? I bought a valterrra ez hose storage but fixed mounting brackets don't match up with frame.
Ndsumcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 AM   #10

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndsumcamping View Post
How did you mount your sewer hose storage? I bought a valterrra ez hose storage but fixed mounting brackets don't match up with frame.
I did the vinyl fence post mod. From Home Depot or Lowes get the 5 1/2" X 8' vinyl fence post. I cut mine just a little less than the width of the trailer. You will need to end caps. One end cap will be screwed on permanent the other end I just use a small bungee with eyelet screwed in center of cap and holes drilled in the fest post for the bungee hooks. You will also need 4 5" L brackets and 1/4" x 1/2" carriage bolts for mounting L brackets.

In this pic I only used one L bracket per end but later put two on each end for added rigidity.

This holds a 15' and a 10' Dominator sewer hose or one 20'

I did two of these one for the sewer hose and one for a 7' folding A frame ladder. For the ladder I used latches instead of bungee because it cost alot more. I painted them both satin black to look better under the trailer.

Ladder storage
Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #11

Colorado
I am adding a second battery as well. What did you use to hang the fence posts? Also, what ladder did you put in there?

I was also considering moving the front stabilizer jacks to the upper frame just behind where the A-frame connects to it. Just for extra ground clearance. I have a feeling I am going to rip those off pretty quick.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #12

Oregon
On the vinyl fence post they sell them in 4" and 5" you want the bigger 5". Plus you want to get the end caps. One end is sealed off with a cap and screws and the other some use a hasp or lock of some kind or a bungee cord system. I used 5" L brackets with short 1/4" carriage bolts. bolting the L brackets to the fence post and to the bottom lip of the I frame of the trailer.
Ladder is sold in 6' and 7' you want the 7 foot.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...FRBEfgodRJQJHA
Old 02-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #13

Michigan
Sofa Bed Comfort

We've just purchased a new 300TQ and have started planning some trips. My question is if we bring my brother and sister in law along with us, what is the comfort level of the sofa beds in the garage? Has anyone added any padding or done any modifications to this? We are new camping altogether so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Holzjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #14

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzjw View Post
We've just purchased a new 300TQ and have started planning some trips. My question is if we bring my brother and sister in law along with us, what is the comfort level of the sofa beds in the garage? Has anyone added any padding or done any modifications to this? We are new camping altogether so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
We added a mattress topper from Costco to the front queen bed which works out well.

For the garage although I have never slept back there I have laid down on the fold down couches to watch TV. I am 6' and they are a little short But if you sleep with your legs bent it would be a doable. They would be better for kids. It's too bad they did not have the two couches meet each other when folded down into the bed position.

I assume you have the Happijac drop down bed in the garage? I have climbed up there to try it out but have not slept on it. The mattress seems firm but better than sleeping on the ground if you know what I mean.

I did replace the vinyl trim on the front of the Happijac bed, it was made out of cardboard and did not seem it would hold up at all. I removed the vinyl and used a 1/2" piece of pine. I covered the pine with the vinyl and it looks just the same but much stronger..

I have done alot of mods to our 300tq
You can scrool down though this link to see some of them.
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...q-5206-19.html

Have fun with your new trailer!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzjw View Post
Depends on how much you like your relatives.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #16

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Depends on how much you like your relatives.
No way would I ever invite someone to stay in our camper that I didn't like. That being said I want to make sure they are comfortable.
Holzjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #17

Colorado
That's pretty nice. Thanks for all of the info.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #18

Oregon
Casper did you mount a TV in your entertainment center bedroom or garage. I was wondering what size tv you used and what you ran into when you mounted the tv mounts as far as backing plates?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:14 AM   #19

Indiana
Dan in Indiana here.....we got our 300 a month ago. I mounted a 24" TV in the entertainment cabinet. I also mounted a 32" in the garage. I ignored the recommended location in the garage. I mounted it under the garage cabinet, ran the wires thru the cabinet, then thru a cap to the plug ins. All works and travels well
finsgm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #20

Oregon
Welcome to the forum. Post some pics when you get a chance...