Coleman 300tq - Page 14 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #261

Illinois
I wouldn't diamond plate. Slippery. I've heard some people put down Linex or similar type of bed liner with success.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #262

Wisconsin
New Guy here

Hi everyone.

Long time camper here, over the last 30 or so years we went from tents, to pops ups, to trailers, to class A diesels, and now back to the toy hauler. We recently purchased a 2016 250TQ Coleman that was only used 4 times by a retired couple, it is like brand new.

We haven't had a chance to use the trailer yet but I am sure we will love it.

I have been going through this complete thread, and I must say I was thrilled to find it because I was actually having a hard time finding someplace that covered or discussed the Coleman toy haulers. I am sure I will pick some brains on this site.

QUESTION: This is a large toy hauler thread, should I leave my post here? or should I start an new one? This is the only thread I found that specifically dealt with Keystone / Coleman light weight toy haulers so I thought I would just add to it.

Jim and Linda

SE Wisconsin

jim53066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:40 AM   #263
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim53066 View Post
Hi everyone.

Long time camper here, over the last 30 or so years we went from tents, to pops ups, to trailers, to class A diesels, and now back to the toy hauler. We recently purchased a 2016 250TQ Coleman that was only used 4 times by a retired couple, it is like brand new.

We haven't had a chance to use the trailer yet but I am sure we will love it.

I have been going through this complete thread, and I must say I was thrilled to find it because I was actually having a hard time finding someplace that covered or discussed the Coleman toy haulers. I am sure I will pick some brains on this site.

QUESTION: This is a large toy hauler thread, should I leave my post here? or should I start an new one? This is the only thread I found that specifically dealt with Keystone / Coleman light weight toy haulers so I thought I would just add to it.

Jim and Linda

SE Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums! You may want to start a new thread in the Toy Hauler section for your specific unit, that way your questions and answers will all be in one place.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #264

Florida
Welcome to the forum Jim!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #265

Alabama
Pick up my 2019 300TQ on the 27th. What are y’all pulling yours with?
kschlais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #266

Washington
GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (6.2 V8 engine). So far good, but I think I'm eating my brakes very quickly. Will need to do maintenance to both RV and truck. Speed-wise no problems at all. Sometimes when the highway is bumpy, the truck gets very bumpy inside - which is annoying but I can live with it. I use equalizer sway bars and no sway at all...just a "godzilla" noise when I do a close turn
lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 PM   #267

Alabama
I’m in a 16 Silverado 1500 5.3.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #268

Alabama
Do any of you have a cover for the trailer? If so how do you get it on?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 AM   #269

Washington
Drum brakes maintenance

Any experience with drum brakes maintenance/replacement? it's as easy as doing it in a car or there are some special things to keep in mind?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #270

Oregon
Why do you think your eating your brakes?

Have you weighed your trailer for tongue weight when loaded? It could have something to do with the bouncing. You might try air bags on the truck....
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #271

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowsky View Post
Any experience with drum brakes maintenance/replacement? it's as easy as doing it in a car or there are some special things to keep in mind?

Thanks
Im assuming you have a Coleman 300tq? The drum brakes are totally different than car brakes because they work electrically with a magnet. Once a year I pull the wheels off my trailer and inspect the brakes and magnet wear. You can adjust your brake shoes.

I also pull the drum seals and clean and re pack the bearings. Install new drum seals.

There are youtube videos that show you how to do trailer brakes and bearings.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #272

Washington
Because after they get hot the braking is not progressive. It breaks, let’s say, the first 30% of the power ok and then nothing happens until I push hard the brake pedal (~80%) and it blocks the wheels.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #273

Oregon
Sounds like your brake controller is not working or adjusted properly.
Your controller should be proportional the faster you slow down the more voltage is applied.

I use a prodigy 3. You can see the voltage as it's applied...
Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #274

Washington
Have a 2018 GMC Sierra with the trailer package where I can adjust everything . I’m pretty sure is not that as it only happens when breaks get hot
Old 01-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #275

Alabama
Quote:
Have a 2018 GMC Sierra with the trailer package where I can adjust everything . I’m pretty sure is not that as it only happens when breaks get hot

Are you riding the brakes? Why are they getting hot?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #276

Oregon
I was wondering that also. I tow right at around 10,000 lbs and my brakes don't get hot. I got in the habit of using a infared temperature gun (harbor freight) and check the tires and wheels on the truck and trailer during rest brakes. Was thinking it might show a low tire or potential brake or bearing failure.. So far in two years my temps are all the same.

I would also suggest that you set your brake controller real tight one time and use the manual brake on the controller and see if all wheels lock up... Maybe all your trailer brakes aren't working ie broken wires or ????
Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #277

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschlais View Post
Are you riding the brakes? Why are they getting hot?
I meant that it happens after I get into traffic for example. Accelerate/brake often in a short period of time (vs for example when you are in the highway at 60 for a long time and then you break....not “hot”)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #278

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I was wondering that also. I tow right at around 10,000 lbs and my brakes don't get hot. I got in the habit of using a infared temperature gun (harbor freight) and check the tires and wheels on the truck and trailer during rest brakes. Was thinking it might show a low tire or potential brake or bearing failure.. So far in two years my temps are all the same.

I would also suggest that you set your brake controller real tight one time and use the manual brake on the controller and see if all wheels lock up... Maybe all your trailer brakes aren't working ie broken wires or ????
They do work, have tried that. Nice idea the temp gun!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #279

Illinois
Quote:

Well, there's the problem right there!

All kidding aside, the shoes could be glazed, which causes them to fade a bit at certain temps. Usually when brakes start to fade from heat, they smoke, and then NO braking. I would pull the drums on all four (if you have brakes on all four) and give them all a once over. Give the shoes a light sanding with 80 grit to break the glaze. Take a look under the magnets and clean them up with sandpaper of there is rust.

If all looks good, then suspect that the magnets are failing.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #280

Washington
Thanks!!