2006 Ford F350 Powerstroke Towing Capacity - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2023, 09:16 PM   #1

Arizona
Exclamation 2006 Ford F350 Powerstroke Towing Capacity

Hey all,

Looking for thoughts, opinions, and recommendations on if this will be fine, and if I need to change something. I have a 2006 Ford F350 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed 6.0L powerstroke SRW. I just purchased a 2013 Dutchman Voltage 3950 Series (42 ft triple axle). I have a 6" lift with brand new 37" tires. I also have airbags and a gooseneck hitch installed. Am I safe hauling this heavy of a trailer with this type of tires? (Tires are 10 ply). Also, is my truck safely rated for hauling this type of trailer? Everywhere I search on the internet gives me a different answer. Thanks in advance!

GriffinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:09 PM   #2

Illinois
A lifted truck with big tires is not suited for towing such a large trailer. You will run into handling issues regardless if the truck has capacity or not. That big of a lift will set the trailer nose high, which pushes weight rearward and cause it to be unstable.

The trailer has a GVWR of 19,000 pounds and @ 20% pin weight is 3800 on the truck. So in this situation, were it a stock truck, I would first go weigh the truck with whatever and whoever you plan to have in the truck during trips and subtract that from the post GVWR on the drivers side pillar. You should have at least 4,000 pounds left over if you wish to tow that trailer.

Seriously though, that trailed is DRW rated, I would not try pulling it with a SRW. Even with my 450 I would be bumping up against the GVWR with that trailer fully loaded for the road.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:12 PM   #3

Illinois
Here is a potential outcome of too much trailer on a lifted truck, though this was an F250, the differences between it and an F350 are so minor they are considered the same truck with a different badge. The issue happened trying to avoid a left turner and driving over the speed limit on a fast yellow intersection.

Old 11-11-2023, 09:15 PM   #4

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinR View Post
Hey all,

Looking for thoughts, opinions, and recommendations on if this will be fine, and if I need to change something. I have a 2006 Ford F350 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed 6.0L powerstroke SRW. I just purchased a 2013 Dutchman Voltage 3950 Series (42 ft triple axle). I have a 6" lift with brand new 37" tires. I also have airbags and a gooseneck hitch installed. Am I safe hauling this heavy of a trailer with this type of tires? (Tires are 10 ply). Also, is my truck safely rated for hauling this type of trailer? Everywhere I search on the internet gives me a different answer. Thanks in advance!
Look on the drivers side door jamb. It will give you the manufacturer’s rating as it was built,based on a driver/no passengers or cargo. Any weight you added after the factory has to be added. All the people,pets and gear,also.
Pugapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:24 PM   #5

North Carolina
Okay, with everything you've mentioned in your post, you will also need the rear end ratio and GVWR...... Then you can find the precise manufacturer's rated towing capacity. I've used thecartowing.com.....just use your year, model, format, etc....seems the only Rear end is 3.73, unless that's been changed. Also, acdii is correct that aftermarket lift and wheels/tire very much affect towing capacity and dynamics, and usually *not* in a good way. Looks like your truck would have been gonna be between 14500 and 14900, before any modifications......YMMV
Itlldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:10 PM   #6

Illinois
I dug a bit more. Ford usually has towing guides, but couldn't find one for a 2006, what I did find did not impress me at all.

First, the trailer in question
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2013-...n-3950-tr16680

UVW is 14,568 pounds. That is the out of the factory before batteries and propane weight.

2006 F350 Supercab SRW Towing capacity https://towratings.net/detail/2006/f...y+supercab+4wd

12,500 pounds, so technically it can't tow that trailer, period.