Air conditioners, the vent ducts are not working!!! - Page 4 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #61

California
I had not even considered removing lights as a assist for the AC system. As far as whether Dutchmen understands the numbers is, in my opinion, all based on the recommended design guidelines provided by Dometic. If they (Dutchmen) can be found to not have followed recommended practices, then I expect they will have to respond. I would, at that point, think Dometic would also have an opinion as it relates to warrantee coverages.

Jrb5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #62

California
I plan to do the same borescope investigation with my coach. I need to make sure there are not any gaping holes in the duct runs also. Very interested to see you pics.

Jrb5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #63

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrb5678 View Post
I plan to do the same borescope investigation with my coach. I need to make sure there are not any gaping holes in the duct runs also. Very interested to see you pics.
Still waiting to get my rig back so that i can do the borescope nd chck out their work/repair on the ductwork.

it just dont make sense the way things are plumbed/designed. I just dont see why I have 8 ceiling intake ducted vents and just the one main discharge vent under the air unit itself. perhaps I will draw a diagram and include it
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #64

Indiana
I have just ordered a Dometic Penguin low profile and it will be installed in the bedroom. This will be installed on Tuesday of next week .
I will not be connecting it to the existing duct work........don't want to have to pull lights in the living room to get air .

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #65

British Columbia
Is the Dometic Penguin also a heat pump?
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #66

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Is the Dometic Penguin also a heat pump?
The 15k Penguin I bought (owner installed) was not HP capable, I think at the time we wanted the upgrade in cooling and went with it vs this:

Products - Dometic

There isnt a lot of options to add a second AC unit that is compatable with the upgraded thermostat, other options are available if you order the interface card for the AC unit but I didnt want any more of a headache during installation. The data cable, power cable and temperature probe were all in the ceiling (kitchen area) when I did the install.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #67

British Columbia
Thanks...
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #68

California
Just an update. I was able to speak to an application engineer at Dometic today. He has provided the technical information I was looking for regarding the design of the "Quiet Zone" ducted air system. In addition, he will provide the basic design and installation details of their "unique air divider" system at the base of the AC unit. I will then have all needed details as well as the minimum physical and performance related design specs for the entire system including the negative (return) and positive (pressure) duct sizing requirements. I will need a vaned anemometer to test the air flow coming out of each duct and the return as well as a borescope to record and document the actual interior of my entire system. It will probably be about a month before I will have my analysis completed.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #69

New Mexico
Thanks for the update and all of the work, I hope this will in the short future help those of us with that system.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #70

Indiana
jrb5678,

I certainly appreciate the update and all the effort, as 72mach has stated.

Thanks for sharing.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 07-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #71

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrb5678 View Post
Just an update. I was able to speak to an application engineer at Dometic today. He has provided the technical information I was looking for regarding the design of the "Quiet Zone" ducted air system. In addition, he will provide the basic design and installation details of their "unique air divider" system at the base of the AC unit. I will then have all needed details as well as the minimum physical and performance related design specs for the entire system including the negative (return) and positive (pressure) duct sizing requirements. I will need a vaned anemometer to test the air flow coming out of each duct and the return as well as a borescope to record and document the actual interior of my entire system. It will probably be about a month before I will have my analysis completed.
am still waiting for my rig it has been a month now. I have the borescope and a small hand held anemometer. now to get it back so that I can check it out to see if it works anybetter.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #72

New York
Jim thanks for being "our investigator" on the poor a/c problems some of us are having!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #73

Indiana
I have just had a 13.5k btu Dometic air conditioner installed in our bedroom. Operates just as good as the units in my other 5th wheels of the past.

During its stay in the repair shop, the techs discovered that the original 15K btu air conditioner creates condensation on the ceiling while it is operating. Instead of a steady flow of water draining, on the roof, from the air conditioner it dumps the water on the roof.

The tech believes that there is not near enough intake. He also, believes that the there is a considerable amount of air loss in the air vents due to the duct work not being connected properly or under designed. The blow by is ending up in the cavity between the ceiling and the roof. He laughed when he pulled one of the light fixtures down and cold air was pushing through.

At this point my unit is out of warranty and we have not had 90 degree and humid until this year. I did not need the air conditioner last year with the weather that we had. This year is a different story. I do not expect one 15k btu air conditioner to cool my whole unit. Although, I do expect the air conditioner to work correctly in some capacity.

I don't expect Dutchmen to do something for me under warranty. Although, I will let them know what the tech has commented.

I will be scheduling to have this work done. I definitely want it straightened out.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 07-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #74

New York
Dave & Patty ~ keep us posted on Dutchmen's comments or lack thereof!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #75

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
The blow by is ending up in the cavity between the ceiling and the roof. He laughed when he pulled one of the light fixtures down and cold air was pushing through.

Very interesting considering some of us have noted that on this forum. I sincerely hope Dutchmen steps up to the plate and addresses this soon. I am going to take the trailer in to the local CW next week for a HOST of issues so they will have it over the weekend to diagnose and try to get authorizations to repair the myriad of issues, rest assured one of them will be the rear AC unit flow. Thanks for the update and if I learn anything new after we pick it back up I will post it up.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #76

Indiana
I have emailed my past warranty contact at Dutchmen. I have mentioned my issue with the air conditioning system on my rig. I have mentioned my tech's comments and comments that have been made from the fine people on this independent forum.

I will patiently wait a response, either yay or nay.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #77

Michigan
Well we got our rig back a couple of days ago. I am still not happy with the performance of the front air.

what did they do. not much in my opinion. there is now cold air coming from the ceiling vents in front of the bathroom door. This cold air is coming from the air conditioner in the bed room.

The air conditioner that is located in the kitchen supplies the rest of the rig with cold air, I should say it is supposed to. In reality the only cold air coming from the kitchen air is located right under the air unit itself. Even though there are 6 other vents in the ceiling there is no air coming from them, rather they are part of the air return to the air conditioner.

In other words the cold air is supposed to make its way from the area by the stove all the way to the front of the rig that is about 25 feet away.

My question, how many of you owning a dutchmen product with two air units have all of the ceiling vents as air return vents for the kitchen unit and the only cold air ducts coming from the air distribution box itself?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #78

Louisiana
All of my circular vents blow air, though at a less than desired rate. The two rectangular vents off to the sides are the returns. There are definitely leaks all throughout the ducting though. I can pull down any one of the puck lights and feel cold air. I can also reach behind the dvd player and feel cold air coming out of the Wineguard antenna hookup and 12v cigarette lighter outlet. So the cold air is even making it down the walls.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #79

Idaho
I have the same problem as all of you do. Virtually NO air coming out of the vents from the main AC unit.
Bulldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #80

Michigan
bulldog80, Sinecure; are you certain that you have a flow of air from those circle ducts? it is possible to get a false sense of air flow from the circle or round diffuser that is actually coming from the "air handling box" discharge vents. the only way that I can tell is to close all of the discharge openings on the "air handling box" and close all but one of the circle vents. Then it is a simple matter of getting a candle light it for a couple of minutes, blow it out and see what happens to the smoke.

Tags
air conditioner, duct work, vents