Air conditioners, the vent ducts are not working!!! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #1

Michigan
Air conditioners, the vent ducts are not working!!!

Okay, I tried out the air conditioners today and to say I am disappointed is truly an understatement!!

First I turned on the bedroom air. It cooled the bedroom and head just fine. I then closed the vents in the bedroom and head to check out how the rest of the duct system worked and frankly it did not work, at all

First I turned on the air in the kitchen. Lots of cold air came from the unit itself but zero from all the circle vents in the ceiling.

I closed vents on the unit and again checked the circle vents. Still no air coming from the vents.

Next I tried the "candle test." With the air running I lit a candle let it burn then blew it out. I expected at least a little air movement, however the candle smoke got sucked into the circle vent!

So next I tried the bedroom air after first turning off the galley air. I left all the circle vent closed. I first checked the slot vents in the living room with my candle. Nothing. The circle vents in galley, nothing. So what is the purpose of all the circle vents in the galley?

And one more thing, where do I find the filters for the air conditioner in the bedroom and the galley?

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #2

New Mexico
what unit are you in? I also was hoping for better AC performance from my 15k unit but was sadly disappointed. I added another 15k unit in th e kitchen area and it still stinks for the most part. This is in 100 degree temps and using a non ducted second unit. This is typical RV world as far as I know.

72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
what unit are you in? I also was hoping for better AC performance from my 15k unit but was sadly disappointed. I added another 15k unit in th e kitchen area and it still stinks for the most part. This is in 100 degree temps and using a non ducted second unit. This is typical RV world as far as I know.
2013 infinity 3750. I am not sure it is even hooked up to the front

ductwork at all. The bedroom has two vents as does the head have two vent an they both work. .
Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Kentucky
We have the same issue on our 2013 Kodiak Toyhauler, The vent system sucks. You have to turn off the vents at each end of the camper in order to feel any air in the main area. We also feel like it was sucking in air and not blowing it out!!
Sherry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #5

Wyoming
Same issue here with my new Voltage 3200 5th wheel toy hauler... and I have THREE A/C units on this rig!!

Zone 1 is a 15k unit over the main living area

Zone 2 is a 13.5K unit over the bedroom

Zone 3 is a 15k unit over the garage.

Like the OP... no issues at all with my bedroom unit. I turn that sucker on, and I could store meat in there within about 10 minutes.

I really haven't tested Zone 3 yet... as I usually have the garage open with the 'party deck' down.

However... trying to cool the main cabin in Zone 1 is pretty much useless. I've got 4 of the circular ceiling vents that are open all the way, and 2 larger rectangular grill-vents on the left & right sides that I assume are supposed to be the intakes for recirculated air.

The temps in the area I'm staying right now (Cooperstown, NY) have been in the high 70's/low 80s... and about the only way I can cool the living area is to turn the thermostat in the bedroom down to about 62 and leave the doors to the bed & bath open to allow the cool air from the bedroom unit to augment whatever the main unit is supposed to be putting out.

It's just another item on my 'shakedown cruise' gripe list for when I get back home to my dealer... but at least I know now that I'm not the only one.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Same issue here with my new Voltage 3200 5th wheel toy hauler... and I have THREE A/C units on this rig!!

Zone 1 is a 15k unit over the main living area

Zone 2 is a 13.5K unit over the bedroom

Zone 3 is a 15k unit over the garage.

Like the OP... no issues at all with my bedroom unit. I turn that sucker on, and I could store meat in there within about 10 minutes.

I really haven't tested Zone 3 yet... as I usually have the garage open with the 'party deck' down.

However... trying to cool the main cabin in Zone 1 is pretty much useless. I've got 4 of the circular ceiling vents that are open all the way, and 2 larger rectangular grill-vents on the left & right sides that I assume are supposed to be the intakes for recirculated air.

The temps in the area I'm staying right now (Cooperstown, NY) have been in the high 70's/low 80s... and about the only way I can cool the living area is to turn the thermostat in the bedroom down to about 62 and leave the doors to the bed & bath open to allow the cool air from the bedroom unit to augment whatever the main unit is supposed to be putting out.

It's just another item on my 'shakedown cruise' gripe list for when I get back home to my dealer... but at least I know now that I'm not the only one.
In my Infinity 3750FL all of the round vents that adjust up into the ceiling are not discharge vents for cold air at all. Every one of them in the galley to include the two slots up into the living room are "AIR INTAKE" VENTS. THEY DO NOT DISCHARGE COLD AIR THEY TAKE IN HOT AIR FROM THE CEILING AND THEN RUN IT THROUGH THE AIR CONDITIONER.

I took the air box shroud off from the air unit inside the rig and got a good look see on how the thing was plumbed. the duct work that ties all of the round ceiling vents together dump right into and mix with the air that is sucked in by the shroud. The only discharge vent is are the shroud vent. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture but my brain is numb right now. I do know how to email them soooooo pm your email address for all that are interested and I will send them.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #7

Kentucky
A/C Kodiak Toyhauler

I have to say that I hope Dutchman is reading these forums. To spend the kind of money we did for this unit and not have the AC work is ridiculous. I'm highly upset with the entire workmanship of this camper. And to think that I picked this Kodiak over other toyhaulers makes we very angry.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry White View Post
We have the same issue on our 2013 Kodiak Toyhauler, The vent system sucks. You have to turn off the vents at each end of the camper in order to feel any air in the main area...
As a follow-up to my earlier post...

When I read the Sherry's post above, it made me wonder about my unit. Knowing I have the 3 A/C units on my rig, I hadn't even thought about having those puck vents in my bedroom & garage, so I had to go look. And sure enough, there they were... 2 in each area, in the open position. I'm assuming they're there as part of the standard build for those rigs that don't have more than 1 A/C unit.

To get to the point... I closed those vents, and found that the main living area (Zone 1) is cooling MUCH BETTER than before. So maybe I don't really have an issue at all. Since the temps are not as warm today (but still very humid), I'll have to wait before I make a final judgement... but so far, it's much better.

I'll keep you advised...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #9

Indiana
Quote:
As a follow-up to my earlier post...

When I read the Sherry's post above, it made me wonder about my unit. Knowing I have the 3 A/C units on my rig, I hadn't even thought about having those puck vents in my bedroom & garage, so I had to go look. And sure enough, there they were... 2 in each area, in the open position. I'm assuming they're there as part of the standard build for those rigs that don't have more than 1 A/C unit.

To get to the point... I closed those vents, and found that the main living area (Zone 1) is cooling MUCH BETTER than before. So maybe I don't really have an issue at all. Since the temps are not as warm today (but still very humid), I'll have to wait before I make a final judgement... but so far, it's much better.

I'll keep you advised...

So, let me get this straight.......................both of you have the capability of shutting off your individual air conditioning vents? Please elaborate.

If that's the case then Dutchmen knew they had an issue with air cooling and have made adjustments. Mine are the old style round puck that directs air only.

Thank you in advance.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #10

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
So, let me get this straight.......................both of you have the capability of shutting off your individual air conditioning vents? Please elaborate...
The round 'puck' style ceiling vents that I have can be screwed open or closed by turning the entire cap either clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I'm not sure they're made that way to 'correct' an issue... but just as a user-adjustable device.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #11

Michigan
Quote:
So, let me get this straight.......................both of you have the capability of shutting off your individual air conditioning vents? Please elaborate.

If that's the case then Dutchmen knew they had an issue with air cooling and have made adjustments. Mine are the old style round puck that directs air only.

Thank you in advance.
Not sure what u mean by hockey pucks. My vent are round. To adjust them you twist and the screw up into the vent and flush with raised pops to allow at least some air movement.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #12

Michigan
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
I also have the hockey puck vents.
In my case, the way the duct run is routed all of my "hockey pucks" are not cold air discharge vents but return air vents going back to the air unit.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #13

New Mexico
I have no option of closing any vents in the zone 1 AC ducted system (bedroom) The vents go in the bathroom and into the kitchen area and finally a small stream of air trickles in through some wood vents into the living area. As others have posted they did get better air flow after altering the vents in the wooden facia. I didnt see a tutorial and have not attempted it yet. The vents I have do not close and only are directional in nature. The 15k unit I added was not ducted because I felt the ducted idea was just not going to cool enough. This especially stinks as the trailer had a very high 'R' value rating and pretty much is as hot as my TH was with two non ducted 13k unit which is sad and pathetic on Dutchmens part.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #14

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
I have no option of closing any vents in the zone 1 AC ducted system (bedroom) The vents go in the bathroom and into the kitchen area and finally a small stream of air trickles in through some wood vents into the living area. As others have posted they did get better air flow after altering the vents in the wooden facia. I didnt see a tutorial and have not attempted it yet. The vents I have do not close and only are directional in nature. The 15k unit I added was not ducted because I felt the ducted idea was just not going to cool enough. This especially stinks as the trailer had a very high 'R' value rating and pretty much is as hot as my TH was with two non ducted 13k unit which is sad and pathetic on Dutchmens part.
You and I share the same issue with cooling. I never had an issue with the other three 5th wheels that I've owned previous to this one. I've also, never seen an air ducted vent that could be adjusted by screwing it in or out. Sounds like Dutchmen is working on correcting an issue having had so many complaints.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #15

Indiana
If someone is so inclined, could you post a pic of the adjustable air vent. If I like what I see I'll order them.

My dealers too far away to just walk into a coach on the lot and check it out myself.

Thank you in advance.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #16

Wyoming
OK, here are the 4 types of vents that I have in my unit... not counting the FanTastic type vents:

This is one of the circular 'puck' vents in my ceiling, that I can open or close by screwing the cap into/out of the ceiling. I believe these are the outputs from the main 15K A/C unit for Zone 1. These are the only adjustable vents I have in the unit, and I have 4 of these in the main area... 2 in the garage... 1 in the bathroom... and 2 in the bedroom. Again, I believe these are standard in every Voltage 3200, regardless of how many additional A/C units an owner my opt for:

These next vents are located in the steps to the bathroom... and I'm told they are the return vents for the Zone 1 A/C system:

Next I have these vents in the floor of the unit, which are the furnace outputs:

Finally, I have 2 of these vents in the ceiling... and I believe these are the furnace return vents:

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #17

Kentucky
Yes, you can screw the round puck devices closed to get more air from another vent, but that may cause that area to get hot on hot summer days. it's just not a good design
Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #18

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry White View Post
Yes, you can screw the round puck devices closed to get more air from another vent, but that may cause that area to get hot on hot summer days. it's just not a good design
I won't dispute you on the design... but with 3 A/C units on my rig (one for each area), I won't have that problem.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 05-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
If someone is so inclined, could you post a pic of the adjustable air vent. If I like what I see I'll order them.

My dealers too far away to just walk into a coach on the lot and check it out myself.

Thank you in advance.
like this!Venting Products / AC Vents - DW Inc.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
OK, here are the 4 types of vents that I have in my unit... not counting the FanTastic type vents:

This is one of the circular 'puck' vents in my ceiling, that I can open or close by screwing the cap into/out of the ceiling. I believe these are the outputs from the main 15K A/C unit for Zone 1. These are the only adjustable vents I have in the unit, and I have 4 of these in the main area... 2 in the garage... 1 in the bathroom... and 2 in the bedroom. Again, I believe these are standard in every Voltage 3200, regardless of how many additional A/C units an owner my opt for:

The vent you have pictured above is what I have in the bedroom, head and galley/lounge area.

The "puck vents" in the bedroom and bathroom are cold air vents and are supplied by the bedroom air conditioner.

The "pucks vents" in the galley/lounge area are (six of them, plus the slots in the wood "beam" in the lounge which makes 8) are the air return vents, as I have stated before air is drawn into all eight of these openings and become common with the air return grate on the air conditioning unit. By the way, none of the return air vents are filtered air, as they should be according the installation manual.

Tags
air conditioner, duct work, vents