Coleman Lantern 17b LT rafters/trusses - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2024, 05:40 PM   #1

Florida
Coleman Lantern 17b LT rafters/trusses

I'm wondering if anyone on the forum might have diagrams (probably not) or at least pictures of solar or other aftermarket roof installs on a Coleman Lantern 17B/R. I have a 2023 17B and I'm trying to do a solar/starlink mount on my roof. Tried the stud finder and the "thump" method and I can't find anything definitively. I do not want to go around guessing.

I figure if someone at least has pictures of a successful install I might have better luck locating something substantial to drill into.

The only other thing I've heard of doing is watching where the dew condenses (or doesn't condense) in the morning. But that also seems like a crapsshoot.

Thanks!

aequitas1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:46 PM   #2

Arizona
Dew condenses does work good.

You may be able to notice where the roof bends and see the studs from the type at the right lighting.

If you go inside, look at the ceiling and it has trim going left to right across the RV, I suspect this is nailed into studs.

There is of course something around the roof vents and skylights, but hard to trace it from there.

If you find your diagram showing stud placement, I’d like to know. Not sure blueprints are publicly available.

chrisski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:45 PM   #3

Florida
Not quite sure why the mfr. keeps things like that so secret. Even when they mark places that are supposed to be studded, they’re wrong (like mount tv here stickers).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:22 PM   #4

Colorado
solar panel roof mounts

I've installed perhaps a 1000 solar panels on over 300 different RVs. I rarely need to find a stud. What is it about your roof that makes you think you need a stud?
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:40 AM   #5

Florida
Well, I've installed 0 solar panels on 0 RVs. Seemed the most secure way to attach something that will be experiencing high winds (and potentially lift) is to screw it into something more substantial than the thin sheathing they used for the roof on my trailer.

That being said, I've decided to use some plastic mounts sold by Renogy along with some 3M tape and a healthy amount of Dicor. Apparently, plenty of people get by with this. I'm dubious, especially being under Florida sun most of the year. May throw in a few screws too.

Honestly, would have preferred to let a pro handle it and stay in my wheelhouse on this one. I'm fine doing a lot of things, but don't like messing with the roof. But there's enough palacial 5th wheels and coach bus RVs down here to keep service techs in the money without messing with my rig.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:01 PM   #6

Colorado
solar panel mounts

I meant no offense. There are a lot of people online who shout random advice.
-Lee
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:05 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuresolar@gmail.com View Post
I meant no offense. There are a lot of people online who shout random advice.
-Lee
None taken! I was just trying to stress that while you have a lot of experience, I have none, so I don't know any better.

It's good to know that you're not so concerned, so I probably shouldn't be too worried. I think I may find a way to tether my panels, maybe to the vent housing (there's not much on my roof other than that), just in case.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:14 PM   #8

Florida
I would follow Lee’s advice for mounting anything solar! He’s the expert here and gives great advice.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman, install, lantern, roof, solar