Towing a Aspen 17bh - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2022, 12:22 AM   #1

Quebec
Towing a Aspen 17bh

So I will tow a Aspen 17bh for the first time this summer.
I never tow a caravan before and I was wondering if someone here with the same type of vehicule as me (toyota highlander 2020 v6) could tell me approximately what could be the mpg towing it ? I heard so many different ideas that I don't know what to expect and since we will drive a lot (1550 miles) that could / will make a big difference

I usually do 20mpg without any load for now.

Any help appreciated

tlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlex View Post
So I will tow a Aspen 17bh for the first time this summer.
I never tow a caravan before and I was wondering if someone here with the same type of vehicule as me (toyota highlander 2020 v6) could tell me approximately what could be the mpg towing it ? I heard so many different ideas that I don't know what to expect and since we will drive a lot (1550 miles) that could / will make a big difference

I usually do 20mpg without any load for now.

Any help appreciated
MPG will vary between 8 and 14 mpg. The largest variables are wind and how fast you drive.

A tail wind will get you 14, and head wind will get you 8. Cross winds tend to be the similar to head winds.

In still air you can get 14 mpg at about 45 mph. The fuel consumption goes up exponentially as speed increases. Driving 55 mph with a 10 mph head wind equals 65 mph total. You may get 8-9 mpg.

An 8 foot wide trailer will get worse mileage than than a 7 foot wide TT. I don't know the width of yours.

Trailers with three rounded corners in front and three rounded corners in back will get better mileage. Think an Airstream design.

Stop and go driving in a city or urban area also consumes a lot of fuel. The generally lower speeds help, but every time you use brakes, you consume energy.

Climbing and descending tend to cancel one another out. It depends on how much you use your brakes. The vehicle uses a lot to climb, but gets it back when you descend. Long steep descents tend to require lots of braking.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #3

Florida
You better be checking the tongue weight of the aspen for your vehicle. You may want to get a weight distribution hitch. Hitch weight is 387 pounds so you can figure 400 pounds at least.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:18 PM   #4

California
Do you know the loaded weight of the trailer and then the specs for the two vehicle. Once you get all your stuff in the trailer and some water in tank it adds up quickly to total weight vs capacity on the tow vehicle

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote