Propane Leak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 12:14 AM   #1

Oregon
Propane Leak

I want to share what I had happen to me this past weekend regarding a propane leak while camping, I have a 2018 Denali 325RL. After I got to the campsite, I turned on the propane bottles (I always travel with them turned off). Later in the afternoon as I was BBQing outside the door I kept smelling propane. I walked all around and inside, but could only smell it outside the door. So, I turned off the bottles and the smell went away, turned them back on and the smell came back, so turned them off again. The regulator has one of those red/green sensors, with both bottles turned on it was green, as soon as I turned off the bottles it went red. From what I have heard, that indicated a leak somewhere in the line. I checked all appliances to be sure they were off, I typically only use the propane for the stove. I got an empty water bottle and filled it with soapy water and sprayed all the connectors I could find outside, no bubbles. So I turned off the propane for the rest of the trip, as a propane leak is nothing to mess with. So I contacted the dealer to get me in for them to find the leak and repair it in a few weeks. In the meantime once I got home, I still wanted to find the leak, so I ordered a propane sniffer from Amazon. Once I got it I started checking and found the leak (would not have found it without the sniffer).
And this is where I want to give this as a warning to others. Under the kitchen slideout, the propane line going to the fridge had slack in it that either was not secured or it came loose, and the tire rubbed a hole in the propane line. So you may want to check under your slideouts to be sure you don't have this issue before it becomes a potential disaster. I let the dealer know I found the leak and what caused it so they can repair it quicker and I don't have to pay for them to find the leak.
I know this was a long post, but wanted to share in the hopes it helps someone.

gwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:47 AM   #2

California
Good information and thanks for sharing. My fridge and stove are in the slide-out too so that could happen to me as well.