Tire pressure - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 AM   #1

Montana
Tire pressure

Two of my tires require different amounts of air pressure. I had two of them changed due to blow outs the other two are still good tires. The two newer tires say to run at 65psi and the two older tires say to run at 50. The sticker on the trailer also says to run at 50. Do I just adjust each tire to it’s required psi or run all 4 at 50 or all 4 at 65.

jmy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmy74 View Post
Two of my tires require different amounts of air pressure. I had two of them changed due to blow outs the other two are still good tires. The two newer tires say to run at 65psi and the two older tires say to run at 50. The sticker on the trailer also says to run at 50. Do I just adjust each tire to it’s required psi or run all 4 at 50 or all 4 at 65.
are you replacing your tires with different sizes or ratings? Don't understand the difference in air pressure.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #3

Montana
They were replaced with a higher rated tire. I have about 130 miles left to go before I replace them. It was just more curiosity than anything.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #4

Florida
I would replace them now. if they come apart, you risk loosing part of your undercarriage.

Just Sayin!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #5

California
Typically the max pressure on a tire is higher than that specified by the vehicle it is used on. Assuming you replaced with the same sized tire and it is the same load range then you would run the lower pressure. However, it is possible the new tires have a different load rating and this require a different pressure.

Often times the manufacturer of the tire will have a load chart that will say what air pressure to run if you need a certain load capacity. Are they trailer tires with an ST designation and are they they same load rating as your originals?

I suspect they are they same size because you put them on the same rim but they have a greater carrying capacity and possibly higher speed rating too. Hopefully, you can reduce the pressures to match the originals and they will support the same load but if you cannot do that then I would replace the older two as well. While this is not a car that you ride in while traveling I still think it will probably track and handle better if all 4 tires are the same.

I am also guessing you replaced two tires on the same side because in many cases a blow out on one side puts so much pressure on the remaining tire on that side that it either blows shortly after or it is compromised anyway and should be replaced. I don’t think it would be a great idea to have two new tires with different pressures on one side of the trailer and the originals on the other. If anything I would put the new on opposite sides and on the same axle as each other too. That will likely allow the trailer to track and handle better. Although I still believe you should replace the old ones too.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:01 PM   #6

Montana
The new tires have a higher load rating. The older ones are original to the trailer. The new ones were on opposite sides of the trailer but were also on opposite axels. I never worried too much about them because I only tow my trailer about 15 miles whenever we use it. But this past weekend we took it to a different lake and it was about 260 miles round trip. Because I never have it at home I just hadn’t gotten around to changing the old ones out. Just a little update I blew one of the old tires about 10 miles from home. Everyone was safe I noticed it right away and luckily there was no damage other than the tire itself. Both old tires have now been changed out to the tires with a higher load rating so should be smooth sailing now.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:42 PM   #7

Alabama
Always match your tires to accommodate the necessary load and basically at the same time. I got caught changing tires identical in size, manufacturer and load rating. Unfortunately the tires were of different ages and two blew out because they were too old and the side walls gave away. I was 1800 miles away from where I bought them and 1 year later. Match em up!
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:06 AM   #8

Arizona
I will offer that since the original tires were all the same age/manufacturer with the same duty use the two that you didn't change are NOT alright. Whatever happened to the replaced tires is probably happening, or has already happened, to the ones still in service. Time to change them out and have a matched set going forward. What's a couple of hundred bucks for peace of mind?

RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:44 AM   #9

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
I will offer that since the original tires were all the same age/manufacturer with the same duty use the two that you didn't change are NOT alright. Whatever happened to the replaced tires is probably happening, or has already happened, to the ones still in service. Time to change them out and have a matched set going forward. What's a couple of hundred bucks for peace of mind?

RichH
Amen to that. After my experience, I called my local good Goodyear dealer and told him I would be in to see him in 2 hours and to have 4 new same age Excursions available for install. Cost me $600 and change for them. But I feel I won't be along the interstate in the rain on a Saturday wondering where the Highway Patrol are. AAA could find no one to service me, so I cancelled and went with Camping world road service.
Lesson learned the hard way.
Livin the Life
Old 08-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #10

Minnesota
Good to replace all four with Goodyear tires. That was one of the first things I did on my new 2018 Aerolite. Did the same with my previous TT and before that my popup. My tire dealer, whom I really trust, was clear about the advantages. Mainly reliability and safely. Who needs a precious Saturday on a camping weekend waiting for a roadside repair? I carry a spare, like most folks, and whenever I look at it I hope never to use it (recently replaced the worn Dutchmen cover with a cool, per my 7 year old son, camo cover). Thankfully in 25 years of camping in the popup and two TTs, never used a spare. Yay. If you have to continue to use the older tires for a spell, I would stay with the tire pressures indicated for each tire.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman53 View Post
Good to replace all four with Goodyear tires. That was one of the first things I did on my new 2018 Aerolite. Did the same with my previous TT and before that my popup. My tire dealer, whom I really trust, was clear about the advantages. Mainly reliability and safely. Who needs a precious Saturday on a camping weekend waiting for a roadside repair? I carry a spare, like most folks, and whenever I look at it I hope never to use it (recently replaced the worn Dutchmen cover with a cool, per my 7 year old son, camo cover). Thankfully in 25 years of camping in the popup and two TTs, never used a spare. Yay. If you have to continue to use the older tires for a spell, I would stay with the tire pressures indicated for each tire.

I believe Goodyear has two ST tires. They have a cheaper Marathon that is made in China and an American made brand called Endurance. The Endurance has a legit speed rating of 80 mph. I believe you can alter the pressures for different load ratings too. And if 80 seems fast then you haven’t towed in rural areas like Idaho where the posted speed limit on some roads is 80. Nevada has 75 all over. If you only tow at 60 or 65 on those roads you will get a ton of dirty looks from other cars, trucks and RV’s passing you and just feel like a moving road block.

I never used to exceed 60-65 with my OEM China bombs and one still exploded while on the freeway at 65 or so in California. Replaced all with the Endurance and feel much better now. Recently completed a 2500 mile round trip to Idaho and probably averaged 70-75 on the trip. I only slowed if it was windy or I felt the trailer moving a little. Fuel mileage stinks but hey—my time is super valuable!

I also have tire pressure monitors (after market) that monitor psi and temperature and that adds additional comfort.

Lastly, if you get a blowout on a tandem axle and don’t notice it and didn’t get stopped right away you probably also compromised the other tire on that side as it was carrying double the load from the time the first blew. Years ago my wife had a blowout and didn’t notice because it was dark and she was towing in city streets. Not sure how far she went but could have been 5 miles easy. After the we fixed it the adjacent tire blew later that day.

I don’t play around with tires anymore. If you can’t replace all four then at least replace the blown and the adjacent and consider TPMS too.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #12

Alabama
I have towed Idaho, North and South Dakota all those states that have the high speed limits. I could care less about dirty looks and gestures made by cars and other vehicles. I know that at high speeds with a trailer or fifth wheel when things happen, then happen very fast and often have disastrous results. Better safe than dead or maimed. Thankfully my 96 F350 with the 7.3 diesel won't top out at more than 80. But I did convert my Komfort to hydraulic disc brakes. Believe it prevented more than two accidents. I would rather get there than set a speed record.
Livin the Life
Old 08-14-2020, 12:52 AM   #13

Minnesota
Marathons (before Endurance was available) on my popup. Endurance on both TTs. I get the western speeds. I did a driving trip to CA and back to MN this summer through CA, UT, NV, WY, and SD. Escalade cruise set at 87 towing a small enclosed trailer. Passed many TTs rolling at about 70, which is where I typically tow my TT. Bottom line on Endurance is they are worth the money and provide peace of mind. My longstanding philosophy is NEVER compromise on tires or brakes. Safety Fast! Just put $1,100 in calipers, pads, and rotors on my Escalade. Stops like new now. Much improved. BTW: I run 22" Goodyear Fortitudes on the Caddy. Good traction and low noise. No, I do not work for Goodyear. I am retired after 40+ years in the electric power industry and I just prefer Goodyear tires. One less thing to worry about.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:37 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneTwo View Post
I have towed Idaho, North and South Dakota all those states that have the high speed limits. I could care less about dirty looks and gestures made by cars and other vehicles. I know that at high speeds with a trailer or fifth wheel when things happen, then happen very fast and often have disastrous results. Better safe than dead or maimed. Thankfully my 96 F350 with the 7.3 diesel won't top out at more than 80. But I did convert my Komfort to hydraulic disc brakes. Believe it prevented more than two accidents. I would rather get there than set a speed record.

Agree, getting there safe is all that matters. I feel like I am very aware of my trailer and truck and only speed up when I feel it is safe. Any movement or rocking or traffic and I dial it back. I have lots of track experience racing and traffic in L.A but also know that physics win every time.

I also just spent about $1k on new brakes and I swear they stop better than the originals which never felt great. I can now lock the brakes easy and have had to dial back the gain on my truck for the first time ever with this 5er and truck. So nice to be able to stop.

I highly suggest that everyone take your trailer to a reputable trailer repair place and have them check it out. I do not trust the dealers.