How to enjoy a Pandemic. - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #21

Arizona
We're back from five days boondocking in Gardner Canyon with another couple and their toyhauler. First time we've gone off the grid and it was wonderful. We ran the generator when needed and used less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Used about 3/4 tank of water. Our black tank got to about half. I emptied our gray tank onto a nearby tree as needed. We stopped by the Pima Co Fairgrounds and paid $5 to empty our black tanks. We have our monthly RV shows here and it was sad to see over half of the fairground employees have been layed off. There are no coming events but the RV park is still open.

We were basically alone in our camping area on Kentucky camp road. Friends brought their new Honda Talon and us in our RZR 900. We did right at 200 miles of sometimes easy and sometimes challenging trail riding. Scenery was beautiful and the temps were low to mid 70's.

Overall we were very pleased that our Voltage performed flawlessly and we were very comfortable. Our dogs loved not having to be on leashes and were free to roam the area. I'm sure this place will have many campers in it this weekend as it is a great place to camp and ride.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:57 PM   #22

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
We're back from five days boondocking in Gardner Canyon with another couple and their toyhauler. First time we've gone off the grid and it was wonderful. We ran the generator when needed and used less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Used about 3/4 tank of water. Our black tank got to about half. I emptied our gray tank onto a nearby tree as needed. We stopped by the Pima Co Fairgrounds and paid $5 to empty our black tanks. We have our monthly RV shows here and it was sad to see over half of the fairground employees have been layed off. There are no coming events but the RV park is still open.

We were basically alone in our camping area on Kentucky camp road. Friends brought their new Honda Talon and us in our RZR 900. We did right at 200 miles of sometimes easy and sometimes challenging trail riding. Scenery was beautiful and the temps were low to mid 70's.

Overall we were very pleased that our Voltage performed flawlessly and we were very comfortable. Our dogs loved not having to be on leashes and were free to roam the area. I'm sure this place will have many campers in it this weekend as it is a great place to camp and ride.

I'm still planning on heading out to Parker for the Easter weekend but our sham of a governor is steadily turning into a dictator and has decreed all quarantine rules to be strictly followed - the highway patrol has stepped up enforcement.
(you know how it is, when the dictator makes a demand, all the gestapo starts acting like gods - they love the power)
I've noticed VERY few RVs on the highway heading east. I've got a feeling they're going to stop anyone towing a travel trailer as being "frivolous"

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle w/ factory towing package
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #23

Georgia
We are SHUT DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMD View Post
I'm still planning on heading out to Parker for the Easter weekend but our sham of a governor is steadily turning into a dictator and has decreed all quarantine rules to be strictly followed - the highway patrol has stepped up enforcement.
(you know how it is, when the dictator makes a demand, all the gestapo starts acting like gods - they love the power)
I've noticed VERY few RVs on the highway heading east. I've got a feeling they're going to stop anyone towing a travel trailer as being "frivolous"
I am hearing all sorts of stories regarding stops and requests for destinations from Highway Patrol mostly at State borders. I am in Georgia so a lot of these have to do with Georgia highways leading into Florida. Florida, per the local news, is really bad with the virus also and the Governor has given orders (That are being strictly enforced) to stay out if you are not a resident.

I am home, no RV to go anywhere with, so I just do what I do anyway and that is work on the house. Finally running low on projects which I expect to be completed by the time this Virus is over and hopefully LONG GONE!
Finishing-up my Man-Cave media room, then I have to shore-up the back deck and that will end my projects. Won't know what to do with myself when that happens, guess I can break something so I can fix it!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #24

Florida
We are in Georgia now and heading to florida on Monday. I understand that the FHP was stopping vehicles on I-95 and it turned out to be a real mess. They eventually gave up and let everyone through.

The florida guvna has made mistake after mistake and now he is behind the 8 ball trying to fix his mess. he should step aside and let the professionals hand the mess he has created. he must be taking lessons from our commander in chief.

maybe he will reopen the beaches on Easter Sunday!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #25

Oregon
Nobody should enjoy a Pandemic! With so much misery, sickness and death how could one enjoy it. You wan't to isolate in remote scenic area, fine but don't revel in it.

The LEO you that you spoke with reminding you of the stay at home order was just doing his job. He use to only worry about getting shot on the job now he has to worry that every one he comes in contact with may spread a deadly disease to him and one that he could unknowingly spread to his family.

No, nobody should enjoy a Pandemic.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #26

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
Nobody should enjoy a Pandemic! With so much misery, sickness and death how could one enjoy it. You wan't to isolate in remote scenic area, fine but don't revel in it.

The LEO you that you spoke with reminding you of the stay at home order was just doing his job. He use to only worry about getting shot on the job now he has to worry that every one he comes in contact with may spread a deadly disease to him and one that he could unknowingly spread to his family.

Sorry dude but I'm having a great time while isolating myself from everyone. I *could* stay locked in my house, get all my information from politically-biased media and be miserable, but that sounds more up your alley.

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle w/ factory towing package
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #27

Georgia
Quote:

If you are an individual with no skills or are immune deficient, of sufficient age I believe the best one can do to make the days go by until this horrific pandemic is over is to isolate and live your life to the fullest!
I know a few Officers who revel in their power a little too much. Those guys give all of us former LE. Officers a bad name. So, I took no offense from that statement.
If I had my RV, I would Camp about a mile upstream and also thank the Lord for my blessings by enjoying this Life he gave me!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #28

California
Quote:

@1/243 I don’t think anyone is suggesting you should literally have a great time but nothing wrong with trying to make the best of a lousy situation.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #29

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMD View Post
Sorry dude but I'm having a great time while isolating myself from everyone. I *could* stay locked in my house, get all my information from politically-biased media and be miserable, but that sounds more up your alley.
Too late Dude your already there!
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #30

Oregon
I've cancelled all my camping trips, Yosemite, etc. as got notifications of cancelled reservations to all the campsites that I'm going.

Working meanwhile on some projects on my T/T.

I don't rage about the lockdown at all. That's the difference between us and the South Koreans. They are wiling to sacrifice small (or big) personal inconvenience for the greater good. Thus they are having fewer cases and deaths per capita.

We Americans meanwhile are the me, me, me, my rights, my tender feelings were offended, I'm melting like snowflakes from these restrictions -- selfish, greedy hyper individualism.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #31

Illinois
I don't mind it, even though I am working from home. At least I'm home and not stuck somewhere and can't get home. As long as everyone practices safe environments and do as the CDC and government officials suggest, it will keep others safer.

OTOH there are still idiots out there who are the MEMEME type and go shopping with the spouse and KIDS! Kids are not allowed in most stores now, but the Walmart near me lets them in. Kids are great for spreading germs and virus, so keep them home. You don't need two people to go shopping either.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion there will be no traveling this year, so put aside all plans we were considering, and glad in a way that I haven't made a final decision and put money down on a site now. The trailer will most likely stay in the barn unless I have to get to something behind it. No sense letting it get weather beaten if it isn't going to be used.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:25 AM   #32

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
...OTOH there are still idiots out there who are the MEMEME type and go shopping with the spouse and KIDS! Kids are not allowed in most stores now, but the Walmart near me lets them in. Kids are great for spreading germs and virus, so keep them home. You don't need two people to go shopping either.
While I hear you, and you make valid points... tell me, what do you suggest single parents do with their kids? They can’t take them to a neighbor’s house (would you allow your neighbor’s kids in your house right now?)... most of the child care centers are closed... and, even if the grandparents live nearby, their age group is the most vulnerable.

The single parent still needs supplies, groceries, etc... and if the kids are young, they sure can’t be left at home... so, what would you suggest?

Bottom line is... we all have varying situations, and we all still have to go out occasionally to shop. Are there people who still don’t give a chit... of course. But there is no “blanket policy” that is going to cover everybody.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:46 AM   #33

California
My two cents—

This has been the one forum I have visited over the years that has always done a good job of keeping the politics out. I realize this is a stressful time for all of us but could we leave the critical opinions and politics out of this forum please?

There are plenty of places to go find a bunch of like minded people and bash the ones you don’t like but let’s stick to RV help and ideas in this great forum.

Thanks—
Old 04-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #34

Illinois
Curb Side pickup, a lot of stores have this now, so you keep the kids in the car with you, and they load the groceries in the trunk. Order online or on the phone.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #35

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Curb Side pickup, a lot of stores have this now, so you keep the kids in the car with you, and they load the groceries in the trunk. Order online or on the phone.
if you'll pardon me for saying so... again, I think you're assuming that everyone is as financially affluent as most of us RV owners. That they have the same options, the same financial savings... hell, the same income that you have. You're assuming that they have a computer at home, or smartphones that allow them to order online... or, that the only thing they need from Walmart is groceries. What about medicine, clothes, cheap toys & games to keep the kids occupied while they're at home all day now, etc?

And with the schools, public libraries, and even most churches closed... there's nowhere they can even find a public-use computer.

So I ask you... put yourself in their shoes, and try to look at the current situation from their perspective:

I'm not sure how it is where you live... but where I'm currently staying, a good majority of those who shop at Walmart live below the poverty level. Their kids depend on free 'school lunch' programs that are now being delivered to them. The Goodwill & Salvation Army thrift stores are closed. Walmart is pretty much their only option for 1-stop shopping, because... since, in most cases, the parent has either been laid off work, or can't go to work now because there's no one to watch their kids... they don't have gas money to drive from store to store all over town to get what they need.

Look, I'm as conservative in my social & political views as they come. And, I'll admit that I too used to sorta look at the world with a myopic point of view... and if I made things work, why couldn't they?

But all I'm saying is... just because you, and I, and most of us here probably have enough independence & financial means to ride this out, it would be a mistake to assume that everyone else has those same options.

There's a lot of people out there who are just doing what they can to survive right now... with very little financial means... and not only are things getting worse for them, but they have the added burden of having no idea of when things are going to get better.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 04-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #36

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
My two cents—

This has been the one forum I have visited over the years that has always done a good job of keeping the politics out. I realize this is a stressful time for all of us but could we leave the critical opinions and politics out of this forum please?

There are plenty of places to go find a bunch of like minded people and bash the ones you don’t like but let’s stick to RV help and ideas in this great forum.

Thanks—
You might not realize it but this whole pandemic is an exercise in politics. Stay informed.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #37

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
You might not realize it but this whole pandemic is an exercise in politics. Stay informed.
Not a few are playing politics with it, but listen to the medical experts, not those playing doctor.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #38

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
...This has been the one forum I have visited over the years that has always done a good job of keeping the politics out... There are plenty of places to go find a bunch of like minded people and bash the ones you don’t like but let’s stick to RV help and ideas in this great forum.
Valid point...

That said... especially since most of us aren't traveling right now, or have those plans on "hold"... so long as the discussions remain civil, I've got no problem with a little off-topic conversation every now & then.

So long as we all remember that we each have our own views & opinions, a little healthy back & forth debate can be fun & educational at times.

Of course, if the discussion descends into nothing but bitter argument & personal attacks... well then, that's when it's time for me to bow out.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 04-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #39

Oregon
Calling a governor a dictator who is actually successful in controlling the pandemic in his state with his lockdown measures and thus saving lives is not exactly keeping out of politics.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #40

Florida
Florida govener is doing good job he would like to shut down state lines to all but residents and shipping I’m for it. If people have time to get out and camp even if it’s by there home that’s great. But think about that couple who just lost both jobs or single mom and your worried about her kids being out think what she’s worried about. Including being out longer because someone wants to make the people of her state sicker longer. A lot of people on this list are blessed and a few narrow minded

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote