How to enjoy a Pandemic. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

California
How to enjoy a Pandemic.

I want to thank China and California's crappy governor. (no, this isn't a political posting)

Living is California is a challenge. People from all over the world want to come here so, foreign diseases are a given. Further, people are stupid. the result? The governor of the state has us all on lock-down. My employer closed, we have to stay way from each other., yadda yadda...I live with other adults in my house.
But I have a trailer
So now, I'm self-quarantined camped next to a river with abundant trout, great phone service (which is amazing since there's practically no civilization around here that I know of), Internet hot spot, and a few cases of Corona.
So peace and quiet, fishing, internet, streaming TV, and no one to bother me...

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle w/ factory towing package
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #2

Colorado
Sounds like you are making the best of it!

We are leaving for state park in Colorado Springs tomorrow (hopefully it stays open).This was a previously scheduled trip while the kids were supposed to be on spring break. Even though we just got some snow, the weather is supposed to clear and we can do some hiking and throw the ball around. Loaded up on beer as well!

Happy camping!

Old 03-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by colokb View Post
Sounds like you are making the best of it!

We are leaving for state park in Colorado Springs tomorrow (hopefully it stays open).This was a previously scheduled trip while the kids were supposed to be on spring break. Even though we just got some snow, the weather is supposed to clear and we can do some hiking and throw the ball around. Loaded up on beer as well!

Happy camping!
I’m assuming you have already called... but I’d make sure they’re still open before departing home.

Most all National Park Service campgrounds have CLOSED, and campers that were there were given 2 or 3 days to depart. Not sure if your state parks are doing likewise, but might be good idea to make sure.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

Florida
I’m in North Carolina and have the same scenario and about to go fly fishing about 50 feet from me (where the water gets deeper).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #5

California
ATCGuy is right

I live directly adjacent to the Joshua Tree National Park.

Gates are closed, no cars or camping.. you can walk or bike in but there's no services. get hurt and you better hope you have lots of friends with you...

Old 03-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Illinois
Here in the lovely *GASP* state of IL, we are on "lockdown" too. Unfortunately, my company has work from home ability. No traveling though, as police are enforcing it here. Gas, Groceries, Pharmacy, and services like home centers and repair people are the only allowances, so pulling a TT, they pull them over and send them from whence they came unless enroute to home.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #7

Wyoming
Yeah, this thing has altered my plans a bit...

Was supposed to end my winter stay in Bullhead City, AZ on April 1st, and tow the rig back to the factory in Elkhart, IN to replace the floor and/or outer wall of the main slide out that I posted about a few months ago. But while things are still relatively "normal" here... I'm reading nothing but doom & gloom about places back east.

A friend of mine departed southern AZ last week, returning home to PA to deal with a serious family medical issue (not virus-related). Spoke with him yesterday, and he advised me not to go unless I really had to. Said the truck stops are open for fuel, but limited services otherwise all along the way, including 2 campgrounds he had reservations for, but were closed when he arrived, forcing him to find other places to stay. He also said that he had to pass thru some Highway Patrol check-points here & there... and while he said that he couldn't be sure, as they allowed him to continue since he was headed home, he said from the questions they asked that they appeared to be inclined to turn people back if they didn't have reason to be passing thru.

Last thing I wanna do is get halfway there, only to be stopped & either turned around, or forced to remain in place.

So I guess I'll just be extending my stay here for another month... and then decide whether to head east, or just make my way north up to Yellowstone again for the summer, and then worry about the repair later.

Fun... fun... fun...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 03-28-2020, 03:31 AM   #8

Arizona
Fortunately there is still a small amount of sanity left in AZ and we're not on lockdown. We're loading the RZR in the trailer and will be boondocking all next week southeast of Tucson. It'll be warming up next weekend no rain in the forecast. Gonna be hitting the trails.

One other thought: I would to to hear the legal, Constitutional authority to force we free Americans into lockdown and to turn we free Americans around at state borders. So far the Minions are just accepting it and not resisting government control over their lives.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
One other thought: I would to to hear the legal, Constitutional authority to force we free Americans into lockdown and to turn we free Americans around at state borders. So far the Minions are just accepting it and not resisting government control over their lives.

Yup.. I drove into town yesterday to replenish my snack supply and stumbled on what looked like a sobriety stop. When I told the cop I was heading into town for more Cheetos he proceeded to pontificate that the governor had ordered everyone to stay home and not make unnecessary trips and all that crud.. I told him Cheetos were necessary. He wasn't amused. I didn't care (and I still don't care) - and asked him which law was he going to cite on the ticket? He just told me to go back home.
I proceeded to the little country store, bought my Cheetos (and some beer, jerky, and other survival items) and went back to the trailer, waving as I passed him on the way back.
What you call Minions, I refer to as lemmings.

Some things I learned during my first week of isolation:
  • The freezer in my trailer keeps ice cream at the perfect temperature!
  • 20 pound weighted blankets are very warm and feel like a whole-body hug.
  • It's very hard to shoot flies with a BB Gun.
  • Harbor Freight Solar panels are doing a superb job of keeping my house battery charged.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #10

Florida
We got word yesterday that North Carolina is not allowing anyone from out of state to stay in campgrounds. We're leaving here on Friday to head back to Florida... going to be fun!
Old 03-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #11

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Fortunately there is still a small amount of sanity left in AZ and we're not on lockdown. We're loading the RZR in the trailer and will be boondocking all next week southeast of Tucson. It'll be warming up next weekend no rain in the forecast. Gonna be hitting the trails.

That's because unfortunately, majority of people lack common sense. Case in point, all the younguns down in Florida defying the 6' rule crowding the beaches. Now quite a few have tested positive. The whole point of stay at home is to reduce the spread so that it can be handled in a controllable manner, not like what happened in Italy. They were told, stay home from work, so instead they went out and partied, brought it home to their elderly parents and grandparents and it cascaded.

While there are no laws and it is against the Constitution, sometimes some people just need a knock upside the head because they are too stupid to understand.

Then again, there are those in law enforcement who get a big head and like to throw their badge around and THEY could use a good knock upside the head as well, as well as some Mayors, Hello Lightfoot you Sid lookalike, yeah, talking to you!
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #12
RDJ

Washington
We are still wintering in Az, thinking its safer here than back home, riding in the desert enjoying the desert blooms etc. not sure when we are leaving but sure getting a lot of peace and quiet since quite a few have left for home, by the way in case we do get bored where are you located if there is a corona problem we could help you with that if need be:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #13

Wyoming
Yeah, I was keeping my options open... but yesterday paid the rent to stay here thru the end of April. Not sure I'll stay the entire month, but... well, better the conditions I know, than those I don't if I should leave.

Some of my winter neighbors have left, but well over half of them are still here. Most were scheduled to leave on April 1st like me... and it'll be interesting to see how many are still here Tuesday night.

All in all, if I gotta be tied down somewhere... this place ain't bad at all. Beautiful desert scenery to the east, portions of the original Route 66 just a few minutes away, and views of the mountains in Nevada & California just across the Colorado River to the west. The place is a gated resort, so it's secure... the pools are still open... the ATV/UTV clubs still has rides twice a week... and the weather is warming up nicely.

I can think of worse places to be...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 03-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #14

Georgia
Hey, if you're good, you're good! Why would you leave a place in times like these? I think sometimes the inner Gypsy in us gets us in trouble or does not allow us to "enjoy what we have" instead of desiring what we do not have.
I would love to be next to a Trout stream in a secluded area and I don't even fish! (Except if I need to eat!) I think the best way t get through any hardship is to just be satisfied where we are and make the best of it whatever that may be, We as Americans take so much for granted and we forget how to slow down and unwind to really enjoy the important things in life until it is too late.
I am really enjoying being barricaded in my home with my Wife, SERIOUSLY! I could think of better, nicer, prettier places to be and to stay, but right "here" is OK, it is my home. If it was not OK, where did I go wrong? There are always projects to start, to finish and games to play, new movies and reading, playing Guitar, Drums, listening to really loud music! (The Wife two floors removed!)
I have thoroughly enjoyed shooting wood borers (Carpenter Bees) with a BB gun, takes good skills and patience but is absolutely ridiculous fun once you get the hang of it. My neighbor got so bored she pressure-washed my driveway, walkway, and sidewalk!!!! GOTTA LOVE THAT! (That is her "go-to" for peace and alone time!)
My guitar playing has drastically improved (I am a drummer!) and my reading list has shrunk. Cooling off a lot today versus the heat we have been experiencing for March/April (Mid 80's) but we're hoping for good rain tomorrow to cool us down and rid the horrific pollen numbers we have been having here: Almost 9,000 last two days, I have had to wear a surgical mask to keep breathing and I am not allergic! Its only 7,113 today! (Thanks a lot!)
Yea, being tied down here ain't so bad! Rember to always be thankful and remember what you do have, never dwell on what you don't have! Learned that lesson in the Corps!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #15

Florida
We are supposed to leave here (Boone) on Friday to head back to Florida with a stop in Nicholls ga to drop off the RV. I just heard from one of my clients that they are stopping travelers at the Florida border and there is at least a four hour backup. I may need to go to Tallahassee before we get to Tampa and taking all the back roads may be the way to go.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #16

Georgia
Omg!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
We are supposed to leave here (Boone) on Friday to head back to Florida with a stop in Nicholls ga to drop off the RV. I just heard from one of my clients that they are stopping travelers at the Florida border and there is at least a four hour backup. I may need to go to Tallahassee before we get to Tampa and taking all the back roads may be the way to go.
Can you stay where you are? Do you have to go to Florida or drop your RV off? I believe I would shelter in place for now especially if "here" is safe and you are able to until things calm a bit. That will be about two more weeks until we have a clue I believe...

FOUR HOUR BACKUP!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #17

California
For the second day in a row, saw a hiker walking the river shore. This is an affront to my chosen hermit-existance! thinking about making a sign that reads: Covid Positive.

Dog and I took a hike over to the highway about a mile away.. Son dropped a care package off at a rest stop.. Lamb Haas avocados, Sharp Tillamook Cheese, a bottle of Katherine's Cambria Chardonnay (2018), some homemade Chicken Jerky for Madison (my Golden Retriever), and a terra-byte USB drive with 63 movies! Sure glad I rigged the BBQ mount to hang the TV on it, we had a sweet evening sitting by the campfire watching Star Wars IX and Looper.

I may have to extend my stay...

Old 03-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #18

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMD View Post
For the second day in a row, saw a hiker walking the river shore. This is an affront to my chosen hermit-existance! thinking about making a sign that reads: Covid Positive.

Dog and I took a hike over to the highway about a mile away.. Son dropped a care package off at a rest stop.. Lamb Haas avocados, Sharp Tillamook Cheese, a bottle of Katherine's Cambria Chardonnay (2018), some homemade Chicken Jerky for Madison (my Golden Retriever), and a terra-byte USB drive with 63 movies! Sure glad I rigged the BBQ mount to hang the TV on it, we had a sweet evening sitting by the campfire watching Star Wars IX and Looper.

I may have to extend my stay...
I may have to live vicariously through you... Darned Hiker: stay away from my Corona-Zone!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #19

California
Heading home today...I've loved the serenity here but it's time to refill the propane, get some laundry done. cleanup and resupply the rig. Get Madison to the groomer.
Will be heading for Parker. AZ for Easter.. gotta hit up those AZ gun shops and get some target shooting in..Bring back memories of being a kid back when California was still an American state.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #20

Georgia
Stay safe and happy trails.
BTW: Flies are hard as heck to hit with a BB Gun, that is why I switched to Carpenter Bees. If you really MUST shoot flies use a “Salt Gun! (Or my “preferred” method...a 20 gauge shotgun!). Salt guns are sold on Amazon really cheap.