Toyhauler desires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2023, 07:49 PM   #1

Washington
Toyhauler desires

Well I'm quite disappointed in current RV manufacturers, Even the high end ones.

None of them that I know of put in their RV's the things I want.
I have a 2014 Voltage 3200 and a 2007 Forestriver Sandpiper 28.

Here is my list

1. Quiet High Efficiency AC/heat pump. What I desire in this is a 220VAC 2 zone mini split with ceiling cartridges. Even high end put in those cheap loud units.
2 A full complete Boondocking power system with split phase power. Idont want to run a generator all the time. SO I want a power system that run EVERYTHING from a storage system. What I'm talking about is;
a. basically a large battery bank 1600ah or 192Kwh.
b. 1600 watts of solar ( cover the roof with 200 watt panels)
c. Two 3000 watt inverters
d. a small inverter generator to charge the batteries when it is cloudy 3000watt.

Since I'm ranting. How come a mid range RV like the Voltage uses OSB in the roof and the decking? My low end Forestriver is all plywood decking and roof. A GD momentum uses plywood. GD Momentum is Voltage direct competition.

I already have a 400ah battery set, 800 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, and a 3000 watt honda EU. The installed Onan 5500 on RV I do not like. My Voltage 3200 I'm not happy with the construction. I may get a momentum 350G and then do all the mods.

Darkfred62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:54 AM   #2

Wyoming
Feel better now?

Ok, seriously… I get it. But what you’re talking about (and what you want) is an expensive (and HEAVY) custom rig, built to your specs… not a mass-produced, assembly line RV meant for the occasional recreational camper.

There are companies out there who built those, but not at a price-point that’s comparable with what you have.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:08 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Feel better now?

Ok, seriously… I get it. But what you’re talking about (and what you want) is an expensive (and HEAVY) custom rig, built to your specs… not a mass-produced, assembly line RV meant for the occasional recreational camper.

There are companies out there who built those, but not at a price-point that’s comparable with what you have.

Completely agree. While those desires would translate to a very capable RV I suspect the market for a rig like that wound be very shallow and the few made would be so heavy and expensive it would be hard to justify building them.

Far easier to modify your own and adding the components you want. While I would like all the battery power and enjoy the quiet and clean power delivery your rig would have it really wouldn’t make financial sense for me.

My OEM Onan generator provides virtually unlimited power and ease without thousands of dollars in batteries and inverters. For my occasional two or three day desert trips to drive my side by side I can survive fine during the day with battery and propane power then run the generator At night to top off everything. I am only limited by gasoline and between my fuel station and 5 gallon jugs I can easily carry all I need. Fresh water winds up being the real challenge and at 834 pounds for 100 gallons it is not easy to transport any more than my trailer can carry anyway.

If I spent weeks off grid or full timed and moved around often then your setup would be great but I do not. And while your set up would be great for you I suspect you are in a small minority and that is why the industry isn’t mass producing those.

I know this is your list and not mine but this might give some perspective on why your ideal rig doesn’t exist in the marketplace.

Not to mention all that stuff would surely be made of poor quality components that wouldn’t last. Another reason to build your own. [emoji3]
Old 05-01-2023, 03:43 PM   #4

Florida
Sounds like you could modify and QUALITY RV to give you the things you want. the hurdle would be the 220V power but it's doable...
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:20 PM   #5

Washington
a battery bank, inverter set and solar that I describe would about 100 lbs more then what is outfitted at factory (generator, and two lead acid batteries). the four Lifepo batteries I currently have weigh about the same as lead acid batteries unit came with. a 2 zone minisplit would weigh about the same as two roof top units.

You have to take into consideration a fuel tank with fuel in it for a generator install. that in itself is a good 200lbs.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:27 PM   #6

Washington
I saw a similar technology upgrade over the years of snow machines. first dirt bikes got real light with lots of suspension travel . Then someone got the idea that the same upgrades could cross over to snow machines. We are at the cross over stage for rv power systems and cooling.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:34 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Sounds like you could modify and QUALITY RV to give you the things you want. the hurdle would be the 220V power but it's doable...
split phase 220vac is not a big deal. All 50 amp rv's are already setup as 220. So you either buy the all in one 220 inverter charger or put in two inverters that communicate to each other. Only thing is finding the space. If you toss out onan generator , no problem.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:29 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfred62 View Post
split phase 220vac is not a big deal. All 50 amp rv's are already setup as 220. ????? So you either buy the all in one 220 inverter charger or put in two inverters that communicate to each other. Only thing is finding the space. If you toss out onan generator , no problem.
Huh?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:24 PM   #9

Colorado
big solar big batteries

I build systems like this all the time at my RV solar shop. I just had a new RV owner contact me because the dealer did such a poor job on the $25K solar/battery/electrical systems that he doesn't trust the dealer to fix it.

I'd like to add a 12V or 120V fridge to the wish list. I replaced my 8cf Lp fridge with a 12cf GE fridge, in the same space. I did have to trim 1/4" off the trim.

leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote