Show off your Mods - Page 16 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 04:09 AM   #301

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Some people have done a variation of this, all outside the camper. It goes like this. The 50 amp circuit is actually two different 120volt, 25 amp circuits. Different polarity, so there is actually 240 volts between the two "hots." Just like your dryer outlet at home. Most camper usages are 120 volt, so the two "hots" simply become two different 25 amp inputs. I am not recommending this, but some people create an outlet box where the camper 50 amp plug goes into a receptacle on the box. Inside, the two "hots" are each fed to a different plug. One to a single-line 120v 30 amp plug, and the other to a 120V 20 amp plug, as you describe at so many campsites.
The one side is actually "overfed," i.e. a 30 amp circuit feeding a 25 amp circuit, so your camper breaker (a dual breaker) would be the first to trip in an overload. The other side, fed by a 20 amp breaker at the site, would see the campsite 20 amp breaker trip before your 25 amp breaker. A little experimenting will find out which of your devices run off of which side, so you can put the heaviest load on the side fed by the 30 amp plug. FYI, when you buy an adapter that receives your 50 amp plug and converts it to a 30 amp plug, all it is doing is giving you one 30 amp side, and feeds it to both sides. You'll get your devices working, unless they require true 240 volts, but the whole thing will trip your circuit breaker if either side exceeds 25 amps, or if the two combined exceed 30 the camp site breaker will trip.
Found some other threads that talked about how cheaters will trip the campsite 20amp GFCI. OK, here's the expensive, "school solution." Nice approach, but not cheap! JTB Power Solution - JTB 2010-100-KIT - Converter/Chargers - Camping World

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #302

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Some people have done a variation of this, all outside the camper. It goes like this. The 50 amp circuit is actually two different 120volt, 25 amp circuits. Different polarity, so there is actually 240 volts between the two "hots." Just like your dryer outlet at home. Most camper usages are 120 volt, so the two "hots" simply become two different 25 amp inputs. I am not recommending this, but some people create an outlet box where the camper 50 amp plug goes into a receptacle on the box. Inside, the two "hots" are each fed to a different plug. One to a single-line 120v 30 amp plug, and the other to a 120V 20 amp plug, as you describe at so many campsites.
The one side is actually "overfed," i.e. a 30 amp circuit feeding a 25 amp circuit, so your camper breaker (a dual breaker) would be the first to trip in an overload. The other side, fed by a 20 amp breaker at the site, would see the campsite 20 amp breaker trip before your 25 amp breaker. A little experimenting will find out which of your devices run off of which side, so you can put the heaviest load on the side fed by the 30 amp plug. FYI, when you buy an adapter that receives your 50 amp plug and converts it to a 30 amp plug, all it is doing is giving you one 30 amp side, and feeds it to both sides. You'll get your devices working, unless they require true 240 volts, but the whole thing will trip your circuit breaker if either side exceeds 25 amps, or if the two combined exceed 30 the camp site breaker will trip.

50 amp is 2 50 amp circuits and ground faults do not like stray current that comes from tying the 2 neutrals together.

External Link: "http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm"

BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #303

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post

50 amp is 2 50 amp circuits and ground faults do not like stray current that comes from tying the 2 neutrals together.

External Link: "http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm"
I stand corrected, you are right. Each side of the double breaker is in fact rated at 50 amps. Also agree and understand about tying neutrals together. While the scheme mentioned by the original poster might work, I believe the best solution is offered by JP3, as I linked to in my last post. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #304

Texas
Quote:

I actually tried that and built it all into one box with two male cords. The problem is that the 15/20 amp plug is a GFCI on the pole in many cases and the GFCI pops immediately. The other problem is that when one plug is plugged in, the other one is a HOT male plug. I am smart enough to know not to touch but everyone else may or may not be. I hoped it would work but the GFCI spoiled it for me.
Burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 AM   #305

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl View Post
I actually tried that and built it all into one box with two male cords. The problem is that the 15/20 amp plug is a GFCI on the pole in many cases and the GFCI pops immediately. The other problem is that when one plug is plugged in, the other one is a HOT male plug. I am smart enough to know not to touch but everyone else may or may not be. I hoped it would work but the GFCI spoiled it for me.
Burl, you're a living testimonial for the JTB company! That's exactly why they invented what they did!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:43 AM   #306

Texas
Quote:
Found some other threads that talked about how cheaters will trip the campsite 20amp GFCI. OK, here's the expensive, "school solution." Nice approach, but not cheap! JTB Power Solution - JTB 2010-100-KIT - Converter/Chargers - Camping World
That's a cool solution but for $799 I'd just turn on the generator when needed. I can run 2 AC units if I have the fridge and water heater on propane and don't use any high watt appliances. If full timing on 30amp that would be a slick solution.
Burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #307

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl View Post
We wind up camping more with 30amp hookups. With two ac units running and everything else on propane we are right on the ragged edge of 30amps. I took the output from the AC breaker and ran it to a receptacle in the basement. I took the wires to the bedroom ac and ran them to this male plug. Now if the power pole has a 30amp and a 15amp (which a lot do) then I can plug the main plug (adapted to 30amp)into the 30amp receptacle and the bedroom air into the 15amp receptacle and I have enough power left over on the main to run the water heater and fridge.
Bad News... we're moving everybody to a new tailgate lot to make room for dorm parking.

Good News... the new lots will have power pedestals.

Bad News... they're 30 amp.

Good News... I got a space on the end and can use both sides of the pedestal.

30/30 amp to 50 amp Y connector runs two AC's, no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedestal.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1523  

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #308

Louisiana
Light Switch

This is just an easy mod I did. I was tired of turning the main lights on by having to open the glass control panel door. I never understood why all the light switches were installed in here on my V3305. Under the AC unit was the switch to control the LED awning lights. I added a 3 switch which controls all the lights in the living room. I tied in the roof lights to one switch and the decorative (over sink and couch) to the other switch. I still can control the lights from inside the control panel in-case I wish to turn off one while the other is still on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140927_191813-nopm-.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1528  
wildct88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #309

Colorado
OK...now share with us where you got the switches and switch panel!

I haven't thought about the overhead lights...yet...

But would like to add strips of LED on each step going up to the bedroom...both from the living room and via the bathroom in our 3800.

Thanks!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #310

California
I've had two other 5th wheels that took 50 amp cords & never knew this was made. Glad someone posted it as it sure is nice.

Name:	IMAG0404.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1529
Found the sliding tray on ebay & was going to install it in the front compartment to mount batteries on. Changed my mind & mounted my cord reel on it. Works nice.

Name:	IMAG0405.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1530

Name:	IMAG0406.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1531
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #311

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

But would like to add strips of LED on each step going up to the bedroom...both from the living room and via the bathroom in our 3800.

Thanks!!

Pirate
Amazon. You can find the single, double, or triple. there.

Link
Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #312

Louisiana
Quote:

Thanks!!

Pirate
Don't think it will let me post the link but I got the switch on Amazon JR Products 12245. They also have the double and single switch.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #313

Arizona
Quote:
I like the SewerSolution now sold by Valterra.

Looks like the SaniCon is an electric pump. That's OK, but I like the SewerSolution that has a water jet that shreds everything and gives me the ability to turn the jet up the drain piping and rinse the system.

JMO

Pirate
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #314

Oklahoma
Where did you find the cord?
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #315

Oklahoma
DesertRat, Where did you get the 90 degree cord and adapter?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #316

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grdrod1 View Post
DesertRat, Where did you get the 90 degree cord and adapter?

I have one I found on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55562-St...XKTZJ69NXTR7NE
DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #317

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
That's were I got mine also.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #318

Louisiana
Trying to get organized. Made a shelf under the bed that fits my small living room table on top and allows for storage underneath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141018_122843.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1535  
Old 10-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #319

Oklahoma
Do you know if they make one that has a straight connection on the cord end?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #320

Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grdrod1 View Post
Do you know if they make one that has a straight connection on the cord end?
I think 55572 is what your looking for

BnTinNV is offline   Reply With Quote