Main AC Issue, cut new hole? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 09:40 PM   #1

Utah
Main AC Issue, cut new hole?

I have a Voltage 4150 toy hauler. I have 3 AC units. The big main one seems to blow directly into the ceiling, with weak bits of air coming out of the ceiling vents. Where the air comes in and hits the other side of the ceiling, I get a lot of condensation because it's super cooling the ceiling panel.

When I pull the vents off, I don't get any ducting, all I can feel is empty space and trickles of air.

Should it be ducted, or did they just figure on cooling the ceiling really well?

I have contemplated just putting in a new vent right where that cold air comes in, but don't want to just start hacking away.

I know that the AC kicks on and provides cold air, it's just not getting to us in the trailer.

I would tape ducts if I had them, but I don't seem to.

The main AC, which should be the workhorse, doesn't do much but maybe bring it down a couple of degrees.

Any ideas?

Kiltedbeautyandthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:23 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Many of us have removed the unit on the roof top and cleaned and taped all the joints in the duct work. They do a ****ty job of sealing the ducts up there.
There are a few photos of what the blind installers gave us as fit and finish.

Also, remove the vents in the ceiling and tape the flexible duct to the vent. Some of those didn't get connected but they did cool that space nicely.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:32 PM   #3

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Many of us have removed the unit on the roof top and cleaned and taped all the joints in the duct work. They do a ****ty job of sealing the ducts up there.
There are a few photos of what the blind installers gave us as fit and finish.

Also, remove the vents in the ceiling and tape the flexible duct to the vent. Some of those didn't get connected but they did cool that space nicely.
Thanks! I'll have to look again and see if I can even find any ductwork up there. From what I can feel/see, I'm not sure there is any!
Old 07-15-2021, 11:35 PM   #4

Florida
As Sundancer said. on mine I completely retapped and sealed ducts
Where ac mounts I also used automotive sound deadening from stereo
Shop to smooth out and seal all vents. There are a lot of videos on YouTube
Just lookup rv air ducts. Hope this gives you some direction to go. You will see this
Is an industry wide issue we feel for you
All our best fla
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:50 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltedbeautyandthebeast View Post
Thanks! I'll have to look again and see if I can even find any ductwork up there. From what I can feel/see, I'm not sure there is any!

For the most part the duct work consists of the trunk for the return air side. The discharge side is mostly flexible duct to the vents.

We've even gone a little bit further and changed the vents that close and have adjustable louvers.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #6

Utah
Update

Okay, did a you all suggested and pulled down the vent covers for the AC. Someone else had already taped them up. I guess next I'll head up onto the roof to see what's going on at the source.

In my Voltage, you can't see the under side of the main AC, you can only get to it from the roof. I'm hoping for a smoking gun somewhere!
Old 07-21-2021, 10:38 PM   #7

Alabama
I posted a few pictures of the A/C repairs I had to do.

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...ired-8240.html

Also the thermostat In my rv go to low speed the closer the room temperature gets to the set point.
cdesero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #8

Arizona
my ac ducting went to no where in many places,, the light fixtures were cold,, Dutchman had smashed out a portion of the duct behind the TV to put in the AC and dc wires down to the converter,, the wall was cold,, using a thermal gun and a USB camera and laptop I looked around inside,, that being said, I also pulled down the vent under the unit, and there was a piece of rubber that went between output and input,, I had to retape that, and all the ducting to the ceiling, I also foamed places that didnt go anywhere ( Like the put an H ducting in my ceiling and one two legs had ducts cut in,, works better but nothing like taking a 12 inch output and jamming it into 2 inch ducting, like blocking the output of a fan,, no air.. Good luck...

rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote