Coleman 300tq - Page 10 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 AM   #181

Texas
Would love to get this thread moving again

I am about 1 month away from buying 300tq. I have read this entire thread a couple times. I look at other models and floorplans but always come back to this for what it gives for the price. I am towing with 2014 f150, it has been modified and has more power than stock but was wondering if anyone else towing with 1/2 ton? Some of the older names in this thread have you had any significant problems such as leaking from slide?

Ndsumcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:17 AM   #182

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndsumcamping View Post
I am about 1 month away from buying 300tq. I have read this entire thread a couple times. I look at other models and floorplans but always come back to this for what it gives for the price. I am towing with 2014 f150, it has been modified and has more power than stock but was wondering if anyone else towing with 1/2 ton? Some of the older names in this thread have you had any significant problems such as leaking from slide?
I am towing with a f250 diesel. I have not had any problems with the 300tq. It's the best value for a Toy Hauler I could find.
Before I signed on the dotted line I would have the dealer put a Sherline Tongue scale on the trailer so you can see what the tongue weight is. The broshure says 1000 lbs. When I stopped by the scales on the way home after buying my 300tq it was 1700lbs. The scale could have been tipped by a full 60 gallon fresh water tank topped off by the Dealer for the PDI. Also the trailer was empty. But later when I had a chance to load the trailer and upgrade my weight distribution hitch from 10,000 pounds to 15,000 pounds the tongue weight it was 1450 pounds with one bike in the back. Your half ton may not handle that kind of tongue weight...

When shopping I would go for the 2018 over a left over 2017. They made some nice upgrades like full size ramp door, aluminum wheels and wired for solar.

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #183

Indiana
Quote:
I tow my 300TQ with a 2015 F150 with the Turbo V6 and an Equalizer Hitch (a must have). I've had absolutely no problems towing.
finsgm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #184

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsgm00 View Post
I tow my 300TQ with a 2015 F150 with the Turbo V6 and an Equalizer Hitch (a must have). I've had absolutely no problems towing.
That's good to hear since we seem to have pretty much same setup. I love the floorplan and once I saw the back door was changed to bigger door and roof was changed from epdm to tpo I was sold. I plan on getting equalizer hitch. Probably 1400
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #185

Oregon
The roof on my 2017 300tq is tpo. The strangest thing on the 2017 is that the city and fresh water fill is on the curb side of the trailer. Not a problem once you get use to it just strange. One of the things they fixed in the 2018 model year.

When I had a chance to look at a 2018 the only thing I noticed is the dove tail floor in the garage is a little steep as a floor but with the couches down not be a problem.

As far as towing. It would be good to know what your actual tongue weight is (don't go by the brochure) and then check the specs on your trucks hitch. It's probably 1250 lbs rated tongue weight.
I had to replace my OEM truck hitch with a higher rating
Old 03-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #186

Oregon
I thought It would be a good idea to get the mods for my 2017 Coleman 300tq under one thread. It might give someone else some ideas or help them out.
I can only post 10 pics at a time so may take a few posts

Some are already on this thread so I will try to not re post them here
2017 Coleman 300tq

Main TV mount for 39" Flat Screen
I mounted the TV outside the recessed TV location. You just have to remember when the Slide comes in to watch for clearance.

I also rewired for all three TV's to view portable satellite and bypass the TV antenna booster

Roof vent covver

Gladiator storage in garage for helmets

Condor Wheel Chock
Old 03-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #187

Oregon
12 Volt outlet near main TV for 12 volt inverter

Battery Voltminder with low voltage alarm

Coat rack under garage cabinet

Propane disconnect for BBQ and Fire Pit

Garage Shop Vac

Sewer Hose Storage

13 foot multi position ladder on BAL Rack

Entry Steps carpeting

Entry handles
Old 03-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #188

Oregon
Under Bed storage drawers

7 foot A frame ladder storage

Electric tongue jack

Future upgrades I would like to do is a 9 foot awning over the garage entry door and 300 watts of solar on the roof.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:21 AM   #189

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
When I replaced my wheels I was thinking of replacing the tires because of everything I have read about tires made in China coming apart. I have Constancy tires on my 300tq. I googled the tire and could not find any reviews where their was a tire failure. That does not mean there is not one out there. I decided to keep the Constancy tires when I replaced the wheels. Maybe in the future when I have to replace tires due to normal wear I will probably buy something made in the USA.

As far as 18's I don't know might be pushing it plus we really don't need to be making the trailer any TALLER. I think you would be OK with 16's.

Tires come apart for more reasons than just the fact their made in China. I check tire pressure and wheel torque before setting out. I also carry a hand held infared temperature gun. A quick zap on each wheel and tire when you come to a stop and do your walk around will tell you if you have a low tire or brake or wheel bearing problem.

I learned alot about trailer wheels when shopping. When it comes to trailer wheels and automotive wheels they are different. Trailer wheels carry more weight and have a 0 offset. hard to find a automotive wheels with a 0 offset.

I got my wheels from E Trailer.. They were a good price plus they had free shipping. Most online wheel suppliers wanted $20 to $25 per wheel for shipping You will also need to figure in lug nuts and center caps with your new wheels.

Curious on what warranty work your needing? I have been pretty lucky so far any small problems I have been able to fix myself.

Before and After
Do you remember what size the rims are that you got.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:13 AM   #190

Oregon
Quote:
Quote:
I ordered the wheels from Etrailer. All the local tire shops I went into tried to sell me automotive wheels which have the wrong offset and lower weight rating. Plus Etrailer has free shipping which was a big savings. They have other styles to choose from as well.

The wheel sizes are 15"x 6" 6 on 5 1/2
You will need lug nuts and center caps too..
https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Traile...l/AM22654.html
Old 04-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #191

Colorado
Quote:
I bought my 2018 TQ300 a few months ago and took it out for the first time two weeks ago. We are towing with a 2018 Silverado 1500. A sway bar set up is necessary. I did notice a lot of sag, so we installed some air bags to assist with the tongue weight. This should help make it a more comfortable/stable tow.
Couldn't be happier with the rig as it provides some privacy from the kids with separated areas utilizing the Jack and Jill style bathroom. It has good storage but would have liked to have see wider storage doors for underneath the main bedroom. The ramp is a little steep but it does allow for additional height for tall utility vehicles. You cannot beat this rig for the price.
william.herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #192

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by william.herold View Post
I bought my 2018 TQ300 a few months ago and took it out for the first time two weeks ago. We are towing with a 2018 Silverado 1500. A sway bar set up is necessary. I did notice a lot of sag, so we installed some air bags to assist with the tongue weight. This should help make it a more comfortable/stable tow.
Couldn't be happier with the rig as it provides some privacy from the kids with separated areas utilizing the Jack and Jill style bathroom. It has good storage but would have liked to have see wider storage doors for underneath the main bedroom. The ramp is a little steep but it does allow for additional height for tall utility vehicles. You cannot beat this rig for the price.
Hey William welcome. I run air bags too it took some the bounce out. I would check that tongue weight for example if the factory brochure says 1000 lbs TW and it's really more like 1500 lbs TW your weight distribution hitch needs to be the right weight to do any good.

A buddy of mine who has a different Toy Hauler just weighed his after owning it for two years found that his TW was 1850 lbs. He did not have his motorcycle in the back at the time so that will offset the TW some but he needs to upgrade his WDH from a 10k to at least a 15k... He also needs to check the hitch on the truck. My factory hitch was rated at 1000 lbs TW and 10k Gross. I upgraded to a 1500 TW and 15k Gross.. I also run two friction anti sway bars....
Old 04-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #193

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
Hey William welcome. I run air bags too it took some the bounce out. I would check that tongue weight for example if the factory brochure says 1000 lbs TW and it's really more like 1500 lbs TW your weight distribution hitch needs to be the right weight to do any good.

A buddy of mine who has a different Toy Hauler just weighed his after owning it for two years found that his TW was 1850 lbs. He did not have his motorcycle in the back at the time so that will offset the TW some but he needs to upgrade his WDH from a 10k to at least a 15k... He also needs to check the hitch on the truck. My factory hitch was rated at 1000 lbs TW and 10k Gross. I upgraded to a 1500 TW and 15k Gross.. I also run two friction anti sway bars....
Thanks for the reply. I do have an upgraded weight distribution hitch. The place where I bought the TQ told me that it would be a good idea to get one. Part of my initial problem was set up of the sway bars. Having never used them, I did not lift the jack stand to even the back of the truck with the camper before attaching the sway bars. (Rookie Mistake) One small step skipped made a big difference. Thank god for you tube videos. When I left the dealership I was even with the trailer but when I hooked back up I couldn't figure out why I was so uneven and contributed it to the wet weight of the camper with the cart in the back (700 lbs.) Turns out I just made a bonehead mistake. In between the video I ordered the airbags but then figured out that I had made that mistake. I went ahead and put the airbags on anyway figuring it would help. I will be going out again this weekend and will let everyone know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hauler.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	4686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck_RV.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	4687  
william.herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #194

Florida
Does weight on the back contribute to the tongue weight?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #195

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by william.herold View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do have an upgraded weight distribution hitch. The place where I bought the TQ told me that it would be a good idea to get one. Part of my initial problem was set up of the sway bars. Having never used them, I did not lift the jack stand to even the back of the truck with the camper before attaching the sway bars. (Rookie Mistake) One small step skipped made a big difference. Thank god for you tube videos. When I left the dealership I was even with the trailer but when I hooked back up I couldn't figure out why I was so uneven and contributed it to the wet weight of the camper with the cart in the back (700 lbs.) Turns out I just made a bonehead mistake. In between the video I ordered the airbags but then figured out that I had made that mistake. I went ahead and put the airbags on anyway figuring it would help. I will be going out again this weekend and will let everyone know how it goes.
I have a commercial truck scale near me that is closed on weekends but the scale is still on which makes it easy to get in and weigh. I would find a scale near you and weigh your trucks axles without the trailer but loaded. Then go back with the loaded trailer and weigh truck front and rear axles and the trailer axles. This is valuable information . The numbers will tell you your tongue weight, gross weight and if your WDH is set properly.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #196

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Does weight on the back contribute to the tongue weight?
Weight in the garage being that it pretty much behind the axles will lower TW but add to the gross weight...
Old 04-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #197

Texas
Ready to buy

I'm ready to buy unit. Dealer rep is telling me that his Coleman rep told him that the trailer has a lot of complaints towards being hot because it is 30amp and only 1 a.c. unit. Anyone here have this issue?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #198

Florida
Quote:
I'm ready to buy unit. Dealer rep is telling me that his Coleman rep told him that the trailer has a lot of complaints towards being hot because it is 30amp and only 1 a.c. unit. Anyone here have this issue?
what are you buying?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #199

Texas
2018 300tq
Old 04-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #200

Oregon
I camped for several days in 100 degrees last summer and I don't remember the AC not keeping the trailer reasonably cool. What's reasonable could vary. 100 degrees outside 70 degrees inside would be reasonable. We were parked in the shade so I think that did help.

I had a previous Toy Hauler where I put a portable AC in the Garage area and vented it out the lower side vent. I plugged it in separately from the trailer to the power pedestal. I would do that again to this trailer if I felt the need.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DeLonghi...100E/206309326

You could upgrade to a 15k BTU AC but I don't think the cost reward benefit would be worth it.

I plan on adding a awning for the garage to help shade the garage area. Dutchman kind of left that area open with just the single awning.