Coleman 300tq - Page 9 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #161

Colorado
Thanks for all of the help. I never had to winterize my pop-up because it stayed in the garage. I will be winterizing in the next month or so and wanted to get a feel for what I needed before I pull it out of storage and then have to pick some stuff up and do it on a different day.

Casper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 AM   #162

Indiana
I like the 300TQ, and have had no problems since I bought it in May (except being stolen for a few days....different story). My only complain is that you really have to play with angles to get my Harley loaded without dragging at the top. Enjoy!

finsgm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:19 AM   #163

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsgm00 View Post
I like the 300TQ, and have had no problems since I bought it in May (except being stolen for a few days....different story). My only complain is that you really have to play with angles to get my Harley loaded without dragging at the top. Enjoy!
36" high it's a climb for sure. If I did not have the double ramp I would have a problem getting the Harley in there.

Do you have a 2017 or 2018 with large door and dove tail floor?

Did you have much damage when you got your 300 back?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #164

Indiana
I have the 2017 with the smaller door, and a Heritage bike. Its sits pretty low. I had about a 1000 in damage, but they took all our gear...even the toothbrushes, toilet brush, deodorant, towels, dishes, utensils, TV's, stereo.
finsgm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #165

Colorado
My daughter in law is looking to purchase a 300TG. I see an area between the propane tanks and the toy hauler. Could she mount a generator there? Thanks Ken
coloradoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 AM   #166

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoken View Post
My daughter in law is looking to purchase a 300TG. I see an area between the propane tanks and the toy hauler. Could she mount a generator there? Thanks Ken
There is metal mesh there but half of it will be used up by batteries should you decide to get two ( I am planning on going with 4) That only leaves about a 24x24 area which is too small for a generator..

I carry a Honda 2000 portable which is too small for powering AC and Microwave. If I was to buy a new portable generator today I would get the Champion 3100 inverter portable. It's made for a RV and has wheels for moving it around.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:00 AM   #167

Colorado
Thanks for the info. Pretty much what I was thinking, especially as heavy as it is on the tongue without any toys in the back. Much better to get it away from the RV. Exactly what I do with my Honda 2000i and 200iC when we camp. I can carry each separately, but it would be nice to have a good 3000 inverter generator or 5000 inverter generator.
coloradoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #168

Oregon
I was watching a youtube video of a owner of a 2017 Coleman 300tq that was not too happy with the left side jackknife sofa rubbing on the lower wall vent and put a hole in his cushion. At first I did not see what he was talking about because mine seem to have plenty of space but I found out it's when you store the sofa flat against the wall, it rubs along the wall and across the vent and will eventually rub or tear a hole in the cushion. Mine has a mark but not a hole as of yet. I don't want to spacer out the sofa and really can't think of a permanent fix. In the mean time I found I can use a thin piece of plastic about 18x18 that I can place between the sofa and the vent while I am raising and lowering the sofa.

You might want to check yours you may be able to come up with a better fix.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #169

Oregon
Ramp on new 2018 Coleman 300tq.

I saw a picture of a 2018 3000tq with the ramp down and man it looks steep. The 2018 went to a full size ramp door with Dovetail floor. I was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of the ramp angle?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:14 AM   #170

Oregon
Riding up the Double Ramp of the 300tq with Trailer level
https://i.imgur.com/F0NOsri.mp4
Old 11-15-2017, 04:44 AM   #171

Oregon
Well I have winterized the 300tq. Will be out of service till at least March or April.

The last mod I did before putting it away was to add a outside cable TV outlet. I already rewired the inside power outlet by adding a second jumper plate. Adding a jumper plate will allow me to bypass the power cable TV outlet so I can run my portable satellite. I position the portable satellite and connect it to OEM outside park cable outlet. Then by disconnecting the top Jumper and connecting the satellite receiver box there I can watch satellite TV.

With some fancy wiring I was able to connect all 3 TV's and a outside outlet so all TV's will watch the same satellite channel.

Extra Jumper plate added

Outside Satellite Cable Outlet Added

Outside Satellite Cable Outlet

Old 11-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #172

Colorado
Nice work. I winterized mine a few weeks ago. I need to bring it in for some warranty work that is scheduled for December 1st.

Have any of you put better tires on your trailer? I have been thinking about putting the Goodyear Endurance tires on because they have been getting some good reviews. What are your guys thoughts? Do you think our trailers would fit a larger size? They offer them in the 225/75R18 but was debating on trying the 235/80R16 with some new wheels of coarse.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #173

Oregon
When I replaced my wheels I was thinking of replacing the tires because of everything I have read about tires made in China coming apart. I have Constancy tires on my 300tq. I googled the tire and could not find any reviews where their was a tire failure. That does not mean there is not one out there. I decided to keep the Constancy tires when I replaced the wheels. Maybe in the future when I have to replace tires due to normal wear I will probably buy something made in the USA.

As far as 18's I don't know might be pushing it plus we really don't need to be making the trailer any TALLER. I think you would be OK with 16's.

Tires come apart for more reasons than just the fact their made in China. I check tire pressure and wheel torque before setting out. I also carry a hand held infared temperature gun. A quick zap on each wheel and tire when you come to a stop and do your walk around will tell you if you have a low tire or brake or wheel bearing problem.

I learned alot about trailer wheels when shopping. When it comes to trailer wheels and automotive wheels they are different. Trailer wheels carry more weight and have a 0 offset. hard to find a automotive wheels with a 0 offset.

I got my wheels from E Trailer.. They were a good price plus they had free shipping. Most online wheel suppliers wanted $20 to $25 per wheel for shipping You will also need to figure in lug nuts and center caps with your new wheels.

Curious on what warranty work your needing? I have been pretty lucky so far any small problems I have been able to fix myself.

Before and After
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #174

Colorado
Sorry, I meant they offer them in 225/75R15 which is what we have from the factory. I would like to be a little taller just because of some of the areas i pull this thing. I've scraped the rear jacks in a few areas getting back into spots.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #175

Oregon
I added two electrical outlets to the dinette slide for charging computers or cell phones. I used regular residential outlets with remodel boxes. I also used a male 110 outlet.

With the slide out a short extension cord can be plugged into the dinette and a outlet in the bedroom only 18" away.

Remodel boxes

Male outlet located lower left of slide

Bedroom outlet just 18" away.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #176

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I added two electrical outlets to the dinette slide for charging computers or cell phones. I used regular residential outlets with remodel boxes. I also used a male 110 outlet.

With the slide out a short extension cord can be plugged into the dinette and a outlet in the bedroom only 18" away.

Remodel boxes

Male outlet located lower left of slide

Bedroom outlet just 18" away.

Really NICE mods. I'm in the process (this week) of replacing a couple of outlets with a new HUBBEL outlet with USB. get rid of a wall wart or two.

https://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/O...15X2/p/1637528
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #177

Oregon
Since it's winter and not much camping going on I thought I would share one more little Mod.

The Hapijac electric bed in the garage has a valance that is made of cardboard and really flimsy. Plus it's where the ladder goes when climbing up and down. I just knew that someone would grab it and pull it right off.

The flimsy cardboard is covered with a thin foam and vinyl. A couple of things I learned is that when you remove the valance you going to see that it has a Gazillion staples that will have to be removed. The thin foam padding is glued on and when you peal it off to reuse it a thin layer of the cardboard will stay on the foam. Not to worry you can just use spray adhesive to stick this back on the wood I used for the new valance.

The wood I used is 1x6x8 clear pine that is cut down to fit the exact size of the Valance that I removed.

After you glue the thin foam back on You will want to position the vinyl and pre drill the holes in the exact same spot as the old Valance, otherwise you will end up with more holes and it won't look good.

Finished, it does not look any different than before but it's now made of solid wood.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:11 AM   #178

Oregon
Got to give the wife a big thumbs up on her mod to the 300tq. She added this stick on tile back splash in the kitchen and bathroom

Kitchen

Bathroom

And she picked out and I installed this Chandelier for the dinette.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #179
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
Got to give the wife a big thumbs up on her mod to the 300tq. She added this stick on tile back splash in the kitchen and bathroom

Kitchen

Bathroom

And she picked out and I installed this Chandelier for the dinette.
Nice job on the stick on tiles, that is great stuff, just watch the heat on it. We used the same color for our motor home. Bride picked it out and I put it up.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #180

Oregon
Battery Box. I have been wanting to add more batteries but due to the style of the 300tq front the typical trailer tongue box would not fit. I was in Harbor Freight the other day and they sell two trailer tongue boxes. The smaller box #66244 for $89 minus what ever discount coupon you might have looked like a good fit.

I had to prepare the battery generator platform with some plywood so the box would have a even surface to sit on.

The box will hold 4, type 24 12 volt batteries. It's a tight fit for the batteries as the space to drop the batteries in is 10" and that is pretty much the size of the 24 12 volt battery. It would be easier if your battery has the handle built into the center of the battery but if it uses a strap that hangs off the ends of the battery you will have to remove the strap and sand off the part that sticks out that the strap went to for it to fit.

I added 2 1/2" vents to the back sides and front. I also added a battery disconnect switch.

I used rubber tool box padding on the bottom and between each battery to cushion the batteries and to prevent scuffing.

I use a ratchet strap as a clamp to hold the batteries in place