Cable Operated BW Valve Stuck in Open Position - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Virginia
Cable Operated BW Valve Stuck in Open Position

Hello All, So last week took my 2012 Voltage 5ther out for a weekend maiden voyage to play with and work out any bugs. Well bug 1 came up pretty quickly during set up. My Cable operated BW valve is stuck in the open position. Upon recommendation that they work well I purchased a Valterra Electric Valve.(I’m waiting for it to come in.) my underbelly is completely sealed of course. Question 1. What is the best way to get to the valve? (OPTION 1: Lower the whole front Underbelly? OPTION 2: Cut a access hole to get to the valve and reseal area after completion.) If the answer is Option 2 I see where the BW line goes up into the underbelly at a 45 where it is then sealed with Black Foam. How near is the valve to that 45?? Thanks ahead I know your answers will be great!

Wydoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

Arkansas
Best thing to do is drop the front section of underbelly otherwise you'll end up with multiple holes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Either way... I usually prefer to cut small access points if I know where I am going, if you have to cut one close to where you think you need to be, then get a light up in the belly and see.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #4

Location: Fulltime RVr. Where I park it. NOW: Heber/Overgaard AZ
Arizona
My 2014 voltage has the same problem. I took a can of PTFE and squirted it down inside through the opening behind the handle. I trimmed the tube applicator so it was right at the opening. It squirted then pulled, squirted pulled and it began to move again. I did this a few times and it ismuchbetter now. I say give it a go.
3605dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #5

Virginia
Ty����
Old 03-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3605dave View Post
my 2014 voltage has the same problem. I took a can of ptfe and squirted it down inside through the opening behind the handle. I trimmed the tube applicator so it was right at the opening. It squirted then pulled, squirted pulled and it began to move again. I did this a few times and it ismuchbetter now. I say give it a go.
^^ this ^^
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:28 PM   #7

Location: Fulltime RVr. Where I park it. NOW: Heber/Overgaard AZ
Arizona
Dry Lube so it doesn't gather dirt and dust. PTFE spray dry lube from the makers of WD40.
3605dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #8

Colorado
If you do cut into the underbelly, only make 3 sided cuts. Much easier to tape back in place as apposed to cutting a square out.
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydoin View Post
Hello All, So last week took my 2012 Voltage 5ther out for a weekend maiden voyage to play with and work out any bugs. Well bug 1 came up pretty quickly during set up. My Cable operated BW valve is stuck in the open position. Upon recommendation that they work well I purchased a Valterra Electric Valve.(I’m waiting for it to come in.) my underbelly is completely sealed of course. Question 1. What is the best way to get to the valve? (OPTION 1: Lower the whole front Underbelly? OPTION 2: Cut a access hole to get to the valve and reseal area after completion.) If the answer is Option 2 I see where the BW line goes up into the underbelly at a 45 where it is then sealed with Black Foam. How near is the valve to that 45?? Thanks ahead I know your answers will be great!
Thanks to everyone who gave me input. UPDATE: I replaced the cable operated valve with an Electric valve. I was worried about having to cut into the underbelly, but I did it and it seems to be fine. I’ve got everything buttoned up and resealed.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #10

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydoin View Post
Thanks to everyone who gave me input. UPDATE: I replaced the cable operated valve with an Electric valve. I was worried about having to cut into the underbelly, but I did it and it seems to be fine. I’ve got everything buttoned up and resealed.
Let us know how the electric valve works!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #11

Tennessee
I have a 2012 Dutchmen Infinity with exactly the same problem. I de-winterized it last weekend and found the valve stuck. Let me know about how far back on the waste line you cut an access hole. I have not tried the dry lube yet and just ordered a new cable operated valve.

Cedrick
Cedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #12

Michigan
You are gonna love the electric valves. I have ZERO regrets going that route...
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #13

Colorado
Been away from this forum for a bit. But the Valterra electric valves work perfectly! I've had three of them in my 2014 Voltage 3800 for two years now and all three still work perfectly.

As I've posted before. Do yourself a Valterra "twist on" valve for $24 on Amazon and put that on the end of each drain line. Then no muss, no pipe full of you know what.

Makes for an overall excellent waste management system!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:19 AM   #14

Virginia
Yep. So far so good. Installed my electric valve last week. Seems to work great! Pain to get through the underbelly. Can’t believe they didn’t install some sort of access to get to that area. Roger P.