Toilet Pipe to black tank blocked - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2020, 03:06 AM   #1

Texas
Toilet Pipe to black tank blocked

We took off the toilet and there is a "shelf" blocking the pipe (about 60% of the pipe). It's like they didn't cut the hole out all the way? Only the left side can get down to the black tank. And ideas or how to fix? Would post a pic but can't figure out how, sorry.

Jenifer

Jeni4515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #2

California
Will a sawsall work

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni4515 View Post
We took off the toilet and there is a "shelf" blocking the pipe (about 60% of the pipe). It's like they didn't cut the hole out all the way? Only the left side can get down to the black tank. And ideas or how to fix? Would post a pic but can't figure out how, sorry.

Jenifer
https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...otos-8188.html

That's a link showing how to post a photo...

In re your issue, is there enough material so that you could drill a pilot hole dead center, and then use an appropriate size hole-saw to remove the remaining material?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

Texas
Here's the pic...

Quote:

Jenifer
Thanks ATCGuy for showing me how to upload the pic.

The piece I'm referring to is the top half of the opening (that looks like silver on top, it's reflecting water). So the only opening is below that. I'm not sure we can fit a sawzall in there or even a drill but will check that out. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet blockage.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	6244  
Old 05-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Pull the floor flange up and out of the way. You'll have more room to get a good visual on what you have there.

A saws all with a long blade should do it or a multi purpose tool might work as well.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #6

Texas
Thanks, we'll give that a try. Sure would be nice to be able to use that toilet again.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #7

Florida
It's been a few (or maybe 10 ) years but I remember someone had an issue where the a/c duct was cut into a drain vent line, dont think it was the black tank like yours (you did say it was silver on top) but you might check to be sure before you cut in to it, could end up ventilating your entire camper.

On edit: Now I remember, Dutchmen cut a circle through an A/C duct to run the pipe through the duct.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:00 AM   #8

Tennessee
You took the toilette off and didn't know to to fix it? Not cool.

grab your debit cards,
Old 05-06-2020, 01:17 AM   #9

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post

grab your debit cards,
Ummm... I could be wrong, but I don't think that's quite what she said.

Although not stated, I'm quite sure they knew an issue existed... which is why they removed the toilet. Now, having found the issue... she's asking for advice on how to proceed.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #10

Illinois
Verify first that the toilet actually drops right into the tank and you aren't looking at an elbow instead. Normally, provided the black tank is directly under the toilet, it is a straight shot of only a few inches tops as the tank is right under the flooring. It is possible that what you are seeing could also be baffling. For these setups a 4" hole is drilled in the tank directly under the toilet flange, a rubber grommet is installed in the hole that the 3" flange pipe fits into. The tank is then mounted with the hole centered on the hole in the floor where the toilet flange is installed, and then the flange is inserted into the grommet from above and fastened to the floor.

If the tank is not under the toilet, then plumbing would route under the floor from the toilet to the tank, and there would be either a 45* or 90* elbow under the flange to direct the pipe towards the tank. If this is the case, then you are looking at the elbow, and you really shouldn't drill or cut into it, could get very messy.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 PM   #11

California
Is this rig still under warranty? That appears to be a manufacturer's defect, and should be covered even if warranty is up. Give them a call and give them a chance to make it right. Otherwise, you can get a three inch hole saw and an extension and carefully drill it out.
Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:44 AM   #12

New Jersey
maybe they did not cut through the fabric completely that lines the underside of the floor and have remnant or flap caught the toilet base ane tank. if the blockage is soft to push on maybe that it. remove the toilet flange and cut the material with a knife. reinstall the flange. found a similar situation with the heat vent into the holding tank underbody on my 3316 endurance toy hauler.
MARC.STOBINSKI@GMAIL.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post

grab your debit cards,

The OP never said that. They obviously have enough skill to remove the toilet and are now asking if others may have experienced a similar issue. I was a millwright for 20 years and a contractor for another 25 and, believe it or not, I still ask for advice and help with issues.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #14

Tennessee
If your rig is similar to mine, what you are probably seeing is the bottom of the tank which slopes (why one side looks open and the other doesn't). I had same issue. Removed the black pipe and cut it a few inches smaller, thus opening up the space between the pipe and tank bottom.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #15

Florida
Wonder if JENI4515 ever got it figured out? Let us know what the outcome was please.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #16

Texas
Sorry I haven't responded, got busy. Reached out to Dutchmen and they want us to take it back to the dealer. I've read all the posts and appreciate all the feedback, before we do any cutting we will take it in and see what they say. Once I hear something I will let you all know. And yes, I was posting to see if anyone experienced a similar problem, we are capable of cutting and making repairs but now I'm scared that if we do Dutchmen may not help us out. So we'll try the dealer route first. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Sorry I haven't responded, got busy. Reached out to Dutchmen and they want us to take it back to the dealer. I've read all the posts and appreciate all the feedback, before we do any cutting we will take it in and see what they say. Once I hear something I will let you all know. And yes, I was posting to see if anyone experienced a similar problem, we are capable of cutting and making repairs but now I'm scared that if we do Dutchmen may not help us out. So we'll try the dealer route first. Thanks everyone!

While not the quickest way to get this issue resolved, it may be the best option. I agree that any work you perform may let the manufacturer off the hook and void the warranty. Thanks for the follow up.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #18

Texas
Exact same problem here!!!

Quote:
I can take that exact same picture you posted in regards this right now. See my post a https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...html#post73576

And I mean right down the flooring. The blockage is identical and I am extremely interested in what Dutchmen has to say about this.
g2ktcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #19

Texas
Exact same problem here!!!

The picture posted by the OP is exactly the same I have in my 2019 Aerolite. Its like they changed the tank type or something. I have messages into both Dutchmen and Camping World now but nothing back yet.
g2ktcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #20

Texas
Let me know if you hear anything and I will as well. We were also thinking it's the wrong size tank or they just didn't install it correctly. Frustrating to pay good money for something only to have it not be right. Hopefully we can get it resolved.