Coleman 300tq - Page 11 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #201

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndsumcamping View Post
I'm ready to buy unit. Dealer rep is telling me that his Coleman rep told him that the trailer has a lot of complaints towards being hot because it is 30amp and only 1 a.c. unit. Anyone here have this issue?
Ever heard of upselling? You won't find a better deal for a Toy Hauler. You get quite a bit for the price. Especially since you can haul with a light weight truck.

I would look at your options but you might find this the best thing going for the quality/price/versatility.

william.herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #202

Texas
Getting my 300tq in a week.

So I haggled and pulled the trigger on 2018 300tq. I pick it up next Friday. I love the coach, only thing I found odd was there are no drawers in kitchen. What have y'all done for this?

Ndsumcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #203

Oregon
Quote:
So I haggled and pulled the trigger on 2018 300tq. I pick it up next Friday. I love the coach, only thing I found odd was there are no drawers in kitchen. What have y'all done for this?
I wanted to build in 3 sliding drawers under the sink. You would still open the cabinet door but then there would be 3 slide out drawers but was voted down by the BOSS.. She found silverware trays the width of the shelves in the pantry for utensils. Plus she stores pots pans and dishes there on the bottom shelf of the pantry as well.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #204

Florida
Quote:
Congratulations, Hope you have MANY years of happiness.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:21 AM   #205

Texas
Thanks everyone. I am upgrading my distribution hitch. I failed to check hitch ball size before I left the dealership. Its the 2 5/16 right?
Old 04-08-2018, 04:55 AM   #206

Oregon
[QUOTE=Ndsumcamping;58992]Thanks everyone. I am upgrading my distribution hitch. I failed to check hitch ball size before I left the dealership. Its the 2 5/16 rig

2 5/16" is right and get the large shank. I think it's 1 1/4" Chrome of course!
Old 04-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #207

Texas
[QUOTE=1l243;58993]
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I am upgrading my distribution hitch. I failed to check hitch ball size before I left the dealership. Its the 2 5/16 rig

2 5/16" is right and get the large shank. I think it's 1 1/4" Chrome of course!
And verify the weight. I was surprised to find such a wide range of weight ratings for a 2 5/16" ,1 1/4" ball.
TT Coleman 2515RL
TejasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #208

Oregon
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I am upgrading my distribution hitch. I failed to check hitch ball size before I left the dealership. Its the 2 5/16 right?
Quote:
I would recommend if your buying a standard WDH going with a 15k.

Your trailer is long enough and heavy enough for two friction anti sway bars.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...yABEgJs8PD_BwE

With this type of anti sway you want to loosen before backing. Don't be surprised if they make a little noise when there working.

Also don't use the angled receiver pin for your receiver it has known to oblong the pin hole. Use a round shouldered on each end pin lock or bolt with washers and nylock nut. Get the one for your receiver either 2"2.5 or 3"
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks...olt/40107.html

And last you want to have a anti rattle device for your receiver. It's the movement in the receiver that promotes the elongated receiver pin hole.

This is the best one I have found. but they make a few different types. Again get the appropriate size for you particular trailer hitch.

Hitch tightener: no wobble, anti rattle stabilizer device for hitch accessories

Hitch setup on my last Toy Hauler but I have this one setup the same way.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #209

Oregon
[QUOTE=1l243;59004]I would recommend if your buying a standard WDH going with a 15k.

Your trailer is long enough and heavy enough for two friction anti sway bars.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...yABEgJs8PD_BwE

With this type of anti sway you want to loosen before backing. Don't be surprised if they make a little noise when there working.

Also don't use the angled receiver pin for your receiver it has known to oblong the pin hole. Use a round shouldered on each end pin lock or bolt with washers and nylock nut. Get the one for your receiver either 2"2.5 or 3"
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks...olt/40107.html

And last you want to have a anti rattle device for your receiver. It's the movement in the receiver that promotes the elongated receiver pin hole.

This is the best one I have found. but they make a few different types. Again get the appropriate size for you particular trailer hitch.

Hitch tightener: no wobble, anti rattle stabilizer device for hitch accessories

The Hitch picture I posted earlier was of my previous Toy Hauler. The WDH for my 300tq is a little different with a Trunnion style WDH so I thought I would post those.

Curt 15k Trunnion style WDH with two Friiction anti sway bars.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #210

Colorado
Quote:
Happy for you sir! I am sure that you will enjoy the rig. We are still working through storage and making the best of the space. We do use the top cabinet for storage of coffee maker, filters, coffee, cream and sugar. The side cabinets against the wall we use those to store utensils, plates, cups, pans and dry goods. Don't forget you can use your oven to store a few items too. now all is left is to go glamping.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #211

Colorado
So we went out for the weekend to Rabbit Valley, CO. It was a short trip from the house and the trailer did amazing on the road. The air bags and having the sway bars correctly did wonders.

We did have a battery drainage issue which we discovered the brake pull cord was out causing the brakes to lock at the camp site and uses electric. Once we got that put in its proper place, all went well. We enjoyed having the electric awning when it rained a little. All and all, it was a very comfortable trip.

I think we have all the basics down now and are ready for our long haul out to Vegas to Nellis, AFB. Since I am retired from the Army, I can use their site on base pretty cheap. It will be a nice little vacation/visit with the newest member of the Herold Family (Aaron). Hard to believe I will be a Pap. lol
Old 04-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #212

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by william.herold View Post
So we went out for the weekend to Rabbit Valley, CO. It was a short trip from the house and the trailer did amazing on the road. The air bags and having the sway bars correctly did wonders.

We did have a battery drainage issue which we discovered the brake pull cord was out causing the brakes to lock at the camp site and uses electric. Once we got that put in its proper place, all went well. We enjoyed having the electric awning when it rained a little. All and all, it was a very comfortable trip.

I think we have all the basics down now and are ready for our long haul out to Vegas to Nellis, AFB. Since I am retired from the Army, I can use their site on base pretty cheap. It will be a nice little vacation/visit with the newest member of the Herold Family (Aaron). Hard to believe I will be a Pap. lol

I’m jealous. I was stationed at Nellie and I would go back there in a heartbeat!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:08 AM   #213

Oregon
You guys with some new 300tq's let's see some pictures!
Old 04-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #214

Colorado
It's been awhile since I've been on here. I figured camping season is here and I'm ready to get the trailer out and de-winterized. I am in the process of moving so my camping might be limited this year. The good news is that I'm moving to Leadville, CO so I will be where I love to camp anyway. I still plan on getting out to other places though.

I like some of the upgrades I've seen you guys do. From 1l243 I really like the pull out drawers from under the bed. I might have to look more into that. I need to get my garage D-rings resecured though. Some of the cheesy self-tapping screws they use for them broke.
Casper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #215

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
It's been awhile since I've been on here. I figured camping season is here and I'm ready to get the trailer out and de-winterized. I am in the process of moving so my camping might be limited this year. The good news is that I'm moving to Leadville, CO so I will be where I love to camp anyway. I still plan on getting out to other places though.

I like some of the upgrades I've seen you guys do. From 1l243 I really like the pull out drawers from under the bed. I might have to look more into that. I need to get my garage D-rings resecured though. Some of the cheesy self-tapping screws they use for them broke.
I have to give credit to Byron4 for the idea of the under bed storage. If I had not read his decriptive instructions on what he did I don't know if I would have tackled it..

As far as the D rings are concerned what I learned with my 300tq is that the outer D rings are drilled through the floor and into the top flange of the main frame BUT they are too short the drill head is barley though the flange. At least the top and bottom screws of the D ring are the one in the recessed area is probably OK.. But the threads barley make it if at all through the frame flange and could possibly be pulled out. The screws are 4" long. I had to order 4.5" long screws from Fastenal.

I thought about using 1/4" carriage bolts instead but in my case the screws were drilled so close to the center of the frame rail there is not enough room to get a nut on it. I am pretty sure with the longer 1/4" x 4.5" self drilling screws into the frame rail should be strong enough.

As far as the center D rings is concerned they are screwed into a thin piece of sheet metal that is welded between frame supports, carriage bolts would work here but I think you would have to add a thicker plate bolted to some angle iron between the frame supports.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:06 AM   #216

Oregon
2017 300tq D ring upgrade.
I got the longer 1/4" X 4 1/2" self drilling bolts from Fastenal. The outside D rings are drilled into the main frame but the original bolts are too short.

Problem is that factory bolts are 1/4x 4" and too short. The top and bottom bolts are held by just a couple of threads. The center bolt has a better byte due to the D ring being recessed.

Longer bolts 1/4" X 4 1/2"

I don't think the new bolts will pull out

Center D rings
are drilled into a thin metal plate. I don't think they would pull out.

You can upgrade them with 1/4" X 4" Carriage bolts with nuts and washers.

Painted up

Keep in mind the more you tighten the more the thin metal plate will pull upwards. If this is a problem you may have to get some thicker steel plate that will hold it's shape. I don't put that much of a load on the center D rings so not a problem for me.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #217

Illinois
I left their weakly mounted D rings and added 5,000 lb ones with bolts and a thin steel backer plate. Rock solid.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 AM   #218

Texas
How did you mount your sewer hose storage? I bought a valterrra ez hose storage but fixed mounting brackets don't match up with frame.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 AM   #219

Oregon
Quote:
How did you mount your sewer hose storage? I bought a valterrra ez hose storage but fixed mounting brackets don't match up with frame.
I did the vinyl fence post mod. From Home Depot or Lowes get the 5 1/2" X 8' vinyl fence post. I cut mine just a little less than the width of the trailer. You will need to end caps. One end cap will be screwed on permanent the other end I just use a small bungee with eyelet screwed in center of cap and holes drilled in the fest post for the bungee hooks. You will also need 4 5" L brackets and 1/4" x 1/2" carriage bolts for mounting L brackets.

In this pic I only used one L bracket per end but later put two on each end for added rigidity.

This holds a 15' and a 10' Dominator sewer hose or one 20'

I did two of these one for the sewer hose and one for a 7' folding A frame ladder. For the ladder I used latches instead of bungee because it cost alot more. I painted them both satin black to look better under the trailer.

Ladder storage
Old 04-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #220

Texas
I remember you used 1in lag bolt for main tv mount. Do remember their diameter. Seems like they shouldn't be to thick