1998 Dutchman Popup - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2023, 08:40 PM   #1

New Hampshire
1998 Dutchman Popup

Afternoon,
I've got a 98 Dutchman that doesn't seem to have ever been set up for battery use. I'm planning on adding a 12 volt battery system complete with solar charging abilities and want to tie it into the 12 volt side of the camper to be able to run the interior lighting and give me another option for the fridge.
What are the chances anyone would be able to point me to a wiring diagram for the power supply so I can sort out where to tap in a battery? (I don't care if it converts power back to the 110 outlets, as I am adding dedicated 12 volt USB charging ports. We don't and wont run anything 110 even when we are plugged in.)

And yes, I have been a member of this forum for exactly 2.37 minutes, and I'm goofing off at work.

Thanks in advanced all.

Emtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:23 AM   #2

Wisconsin
Post make and model of the converter for better advice.

Post pictures of the converter if possible.

Post a picture of the "A" frame at the front.

Post picture of trailer electrical connector at the front.

12 volt Side of Life part 1
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:42 AM   #3

Ontario
@Persistent, great reference to "12 volt Side of Life part 1". That'll be very helpful when sorting out my electrical issues as they come up
cdnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 05:51 PM   #4

New Hampshire
So I lifted the top and this is what I found. Anyone know where I can find a manual for a magnetek model 6612 inverter ?
Old 07-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtjester View Post
So I lifted the top and this is what I found. Anyone know where I can find a manual for a magnetek model 6612 inverter ?
https://manuals.plus/magnetek/6600-s...nverter-manual
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:38 PM   #6

Wisconsin
I recommend you replace the Magnetek.

Here is another manual source. The one posted above tried to install Trojan on my computer.
Wayback Machine

This manual says there is a place to connect a battery. It says there is a switch to use the battery instead of the converter. However, there is no charging function.

The converter is a "noisy" 12 volt source. Some 12 volt appliances will not work well. It is also not well regulated and so will not make a good battery charger.

Inexpensive modern replacements would have a much better performance and high quality battery charger.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Converte...s/PD4135K.html

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/...-power-center/
Old 08-02-2023, 07:06 PM   #7

New Hampshire
Done!

So spent the day installing the 200 AH battery, wiring it to the system, setting up 12 volt USB plugs and getting the solar wired in.
Eventually Ill go with a newer inverted (the one that was recommended here earlier on the thread) so that I can remove the battery charger and have it all built in, but for now, shes working and off to camp next weekend!

Thanks for the links, the recommendations and the help!
Old 08-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Watch out! The 12 volt converter is still connected. It may over charge the new battery and boil it dry.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #9

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Watch out! The 12 volt converter is still connected. It may over charge the new battery and boil it dry.
My model converted doesn't have an onboard charger. I'm running a Noko Genius 2 charger, which requires manual activation (mounted just inside a cabinet so I can fire it up and make sure the battery is topped off before heading out or keep it maintain the battery. I'm also using a gel AGM battery so it doesn't off gas or boil off water as it charges so I'm hoping I covered my bases.
I also have a fuse on the positive side that acts as a disconnect for when I have shore power.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:59 PM   #10

Wisconsin
"My model converted doesn't have an onboard charger."

If the RV is connected to shore power and the converter is connected to the 12 volt RV system it will charge or over charge the battery you have connected.

"I'm running a Noko Genius 2 charger, which requires manual activation (mounted just inside a cabinet so I can fire it up and make sure the battery is topped off before heading out or keep it maintain the battery."

This is a perfectly good practice, but it will not keep the onboard converter from overcharging batteries.

"I'm also using a gel AGM battery so it doesn't off gas or boil off water as it charges so I'm hoping I covered my bases."

Over charged AGM batteries do produce hydrogen and oxygen gas in excess of what the AGM chemistry can convert back into water.

An AGM battery is more sensitive to high voltage from the converter than flooded cells. With flooded cells, you can add distilled water. AGM batteries vent hydrogen and oxygen gas produced from overcharging. Loss of water in AGM's is permanent.

"I also have a fuse on the positive side that acts as a disconnect for when I have shore power."

Disconnecting the converter when ever the battery is connected can protect against over charging.