water heater recovery and deration - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 05:42 AM   #1

Utah
water heater recovery and deration

Sorry...sorry...sorry if there is another thread somewhere on this (please link me if you are aware). I have three water heater questions:

(1) I used to have an Atwood water heater. The dealer told me that it had a faster recovery time when using BOTH gas and electric. I NOW have a Suburban water heater (model SW6DELC). I was told by the dealer that I CANNOT use electricity and LP gas as the same time...only one or the other. I cannot find in the manual where it states this. Any thoughts?

(2) I didn't have a need for an anode rod in my previous aluminum Atwood water heater, but the new Suburban is coated steel. The manual refers to either magnesium or aluminum anode rods. Any significant pros/cons of either?

(3) The manual discusses "deration" above 4,500 ft elevation above sea level. I live at this elevation, but camp between 6,000 ft and often just above 10,000 ft. Is there anything I need to be aware of or concerned about at these higher elevations? Do I need to really DO anything?

Thanks in advance!

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

Florida
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/anode...cial%20process.

I have always used magnesium in my home hot water heaters until I got a coated tank.... much better. I agree that there is a very big benefit to using propane AND electric when taking a shower. Not sure about the issue you are having with using both on your specific heater.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Florida
I found the service manual. in one spot on page 16 it says that once the propane is considered successful, it will cut off the voltage to the heater element. ?

https://manualzz.com/doc/22641055/su...ns-in-training
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

Utah
Hi Frank. Thank you!

My tank is steel (not aluminum anymore), and it IS coated (ceramic?). These tanks still come with an anode rod, unlike my aluminum Atwood which didn't need one.

Not having an issue at all with using both gas and electricity...never tried it since I was told by the dealer during my pickup/PDI that if I used both gas AND electric, I would blow up the trailer. Silly. I found the manufacture's website that seems to think it is just fine. I will ignore what the dealer told me.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/suburban/...with-12v-relay
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote