Propane not getting through to portable grill - stumped! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #1

Vermont
Propane not getting through to portable grill - stumped!

I have a 1997 Dutchmen pop up, with the fridge and cooking outlets to plug in a grill with a quick release connector. I bought it two years ago, so was expecting some issues, most of which have been resolved but I have two left, both propane related. The grill isn't receiving gas from either of the two outlets (inside and outside) and the fridge won't work on propane.

I changed out the regulator with a new one today, expecting that to solve it but still nothing. I'm stumped. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new at these systems. Can anyone point me in the right direction before I succumb to sending it to the dealer to have them fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

bryanlvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #2

Ontario
In my past I owned a 1997 Dutchmen Duck pop up trailer. have since moved on. Originally I was thinking the problem might be simple as the shut off valves at the quick disconnect fittings however this wouldn't explain the fridge. Now I would start by suggesting you check the propane orifices for spider nests. For what ever reason spider like the smell of propane. use a pipe cleaner in any orifice. If the orifices are good, I would drain the propane line and crack a connection point in the system, open the tank again and trace where to flow stops. Make sure you have the appropriate tape to seal the connection points afterwards. If you are getting pressure all the way back to both appliances, the problem is the appliances, however for both the appliances to be broken is unlikely. You could also verify the BBQ on a 20 Lb tank. As for verifying the fridge can you hear propane flow, is the fridge piezoelectric or does it have a pilot light?

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #3

Florida
Got propane?

If it was recently filled, you need to purge the lines by leaving gas valve open for a few seconds as you try to light it.

Did the refer work on propane before?

Since your issue involves all of your propane appliances, I would start with the source. Propane tanks have automatic tip-over protection built into the tanks. Rough roads can sometimes trip this shutoff valve. You can try to reset it by take your tank to a level surface and drop it straight down from a height of 18 to 24 inches. May have to do it several times.

Welcome to the forum!
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #4

Oregon
i've had this same problem before with a Weber portable grill, and tried several different approaches to resolve the poor flow. The final answer was to use the small bottled gas canisters. Interesting remark about dropping the tank. One thing I remember reading but have not yet tried (haven't been out this year yet) is to open the valve on the tank very slowly, then, wait for several minutes before attempting to ignite your device.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote