Outlets with no energy? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #1

Ohio
Outlets with no energy?

Hello All,

First post here. I'm a new Kodiak Cub owner. After purchase of my trailer, I have realized my outlets only work when I am connected to shore energy (the 30 amp trailer cord is hooked up to an external power source). Is this the norm? Is there a way around this? I plan on occasionally boondocking and would like to have access to my outlets.

SpaceGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:59 PM   #2

Wyoming
Wow… just wow.

Your outlets will only work with 110ac… same as at home. So your only options are shore power, or buy a generator.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #3

Ohio
Wow? Something is amazing?
Old 07-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost View Post
Wow? Something is amazing?
Well, since you asked… quite honestly… yes.

Your lack of knowledge about electrical issues is understandable. Nothing wrong with that. Being more mechanically inclined, I’m not so good with it myself. But…

You spent a substantial amount of money to do something (go boondocking), without doing the research if the tool (RV) you bought could do the job as intended. Then, on your second chance, during the PDI (pre-delivery inspection), you again failed to either have the salesman or technician actually demonstrate that everything on the rig worked as you expected… or at least ask the question… BEFORE you signed the dotted line, and brought it home.

So, yes… I’m amazed. But then again, I guess I’m not… not really.

I’m sorry to be so brutally honest, or to welcome you to the forum in this manner. We were all new at one time. I don’t really mean to be an azzhole. I’ve just been seeing a lot of this lately in various forms. Last month, I was in an RV shop talking with a guy who bought a rig he thought had solar on it… only to discover it had no solar panels on it, and never did. He thought “solar ready” meant he had a full package, and had it in the shop because his battery died on his 2nd day of use.

Again… lack of research, asking questions, or actually having its use demonstrated before spending over $60,000 on it.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 07-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #5

Ohio
Yea, I think you are a jerk. I think you did, in fact, intend to be. I hope you're a poor ambassador of this community. Further, you don't know how thoroughly I examined my purchase, how many questions I asked, or how much I paid.

I suppose you rarely do new things in life, which is why you are callous when encountering someone trying to learn.

Further, my purchase still fits my needs and won't prevent me in any meaningful way from accomplishing what I intend.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #6

Wyoming
Well, I’m genuinely sorry you feel that way. Sometimes, the truth hurts. But now that the gloves are off, I do have a serious question for you:

You said:
“…After purchase of my trailer, I have realized my outlets only work when I am connected to shore energy... Is this the norm?”

Question: Just where the f@$# did you think you were going to get power for them? Did you really think your 12-volt DC battery would supply 110v AC current to power your appliances? Or maybe you thought the camping-ferry was going to magically appear to energize your rig… or that mystical power crystals would fall from the sky to give you free power.

I’m just still shaking my head as I think about it.

I sincerely wish you good luck and fun travels with your rig. Read books like RVing for Dummies (I didn’t name it, that’s the title), or So You Want to go RVing… watch YouTube videos for new RVers, there are lots of them out there. They will teach you a lot. We all did it when we began, except for those who grew up with them as a kid. Even the stuff you don’t need now, chances are that you will down the road.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 07-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #7

Illinois
SpaceGhost, in a feeble attempt to defuse the thread, Tom really is a very nice guy, helpful, and a great source of information. Your question just came at a weird time, right after on another thread, people were commenting on how hard it is for RV'ers to find sites and make reservations since the recent boom in RV popularity. Ultimately it will be good for us all, but right now there is a lot of frustration, partially being blamed on new RV owners (which isn't really a fault). Heck, we were all new at one time. Your inquiry took him (and maybe me a bit) by surprise. Have faith. This is a good site. No dumb questions, so don't be afraid to ask. Tom is correct though in that you need to do a bit of basic research. It will serve you well in the future. There is a lot to learn but it's fun. Hope your 1st post didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #8

Wisconsin
The actual problem....

I added a 1000 watt inverter and a pair of group 31 AGM batteries to my Kodiak Cub. The pair of AGM's adds up to 200 amp hours of 12 volt power.

I use the inverter to charge computers, run a vibrator, and have used it to run a CPAP. It will not run a hair dryer, microwave, coffee pot, or electric heater.

The AGM batteries are located under the rear dinette seat and vented to the outside. The inverter is nearby. I ran two outlets from the inverter, one to the front bed area and one to the rear seating area. This pair of outlets is completely separate from the other outlets so no transfer switch or other connecting devices are needed.

My Cub is three years old. Another new Cub Owner said there was a pre-wired connection point in the front pass through for an inverter and solar. The planned inverter apparently has a transfer switch built in and would use the existing outlets. Check with a dealer.

You would still need 200 amp hours of lead acid batteries for a 1000 watt inverter or 400 amp hours for 2000 watt inverter.

Welcome to the Dutchmen Owners forum. I hope your next interactions are more pleasant. Negative vibes like above are actually very rare here. He must be having a bad day.

I was once a newby. I actually had lots of issues others may call dumb. I expect many of us have learned the hard way. Some of us are lucky to be alive.

The only dumb question is the one not asked.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #9

California
Maybe buy a very small Honda or similar generator and that will power everything in your rig except your air conditioner. They are fairly light and reliable. When boondocking you can run it a couple hours each day to top off batteries and whenever you need to use the microwave or whatever.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #10

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost View Post
Hello All,

First post here. I'm a new Kodiak Cub owner. After purchase of my trailer, I have realized my outlets only work when I am connected to shore energy (the 30 amp trailer cord is hooked up to an external power source). Is this the norm? Is there a way around this? I plan on occasionally boondocking and would like to have access to my outlets.
@SpaceGhost, I think you will get some great knowledge from reading through this page I've linked to and the part 2 linked at the end. Welcome to the RV world!
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The super short summary, your RV has 2 different power systems.
1. 120V AC when you plug into the grid (shore power is the term used in RV jargon). This supplies power to the 120V AC stuff like all of the wall outlets that are same as your house outlets. Also your water heater if it has electric capability. Same with the fridge.
2. 12V DC which comes from your battery most likely mounted on the trailer tongue. This provides power for all of your interior lighting, furnace, exhaust fans, and water pump. This 12V battery allows these components to operate when boondocking/not plugged in to shore power. None of the 120V AC things will work unless you plug your shore power cord in to 120V AC power source. The camper will have a component called the converter which is powered by 120V AC power and serves as the 12V DC battery charger while plugged in.
3. While not really a power system, some other items run off of propane. The stovetop burners, water heater, fridge (unless it is electric-only), and furnace burner (the blower runs off the 12V battery).

If you want access to the 120V AC stuff in your camper while you are boondocking, you need to provide the 120V AC via a generator or from your 12V batteries via an inverter.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I added a 1000 watt inverter and a pair of group 31 AGM batteries to my Kodiak Cub. The pair of AGM's adds up to 200 amp hours of 12 volt power.

I use the inverter to charge computers, run a vibrator, and have used it to run a CPAP. It will not run a hair dryer, microwave, coffee pot, or electric heater.

The AGM batteries are located under the rear dinette seat and vented to the outside. The inverter is nearby. I ran two outlets from the inverter, one to the front bed area and one to the rear seating area. This pair of outlets is completely separate from the other outlets so no transfer switch or other connecting devices are needed.

My Cub is three years old. Another new Cub Owner said there was a pre-wired connection point in the front pass through for an inverter and solar. The planned inverter apparently has a transfer switch built in and would use the existing outlets. Check with a dealer.

You would still need 200 amp hours of lead acid batteries for a 1000 watt inverter or 400 amp hours for 2000 watt inverter.

Welcome to the Dutchmen Owners forum. I hope your next interactions are more pleasant. Negative vibes like above are actually very rare here. He must be having a bad day.

I was once a newby. I actually had lots of issues others may call dumb. I expect many of us have learned the hard way. Some of us are lucky to be alive.

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

What ???
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
What ???
When AAs & C cell batteries just won’t do…
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 07-23-2021, 12:30 AM   #13

Florida
I guess I did read that rightt
I’ve got nothing
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:25 PM   #14

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
What ???

Is that what makes for all these “happy campers”?
Pugapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:16 AM   #15

Florida
Apparently in beaver dam,
Sorry could not resist
I’m out
Old 07-25-2021, 02:13 AM   #16

California
SpaceGhost; this is a great site and ATC guy is normally a very helpful and courteous guy. He has help me many times over many years. I think what he is shocked about is the fact that you, being a newbie when out and bought a RV with minimum RV education. I think what he was saying is you need to be careful, salesman will lie and mislead you to make a sale. You need to educate yourself so you don’t get taken advantage of. RV’s require lots of money or experience to keep them running at max efficiency. I do all my own repairs and Maintance, because most dealers will sell you a bill of goods if you let them. I bought my trailer brand new and I’m working on it all the time. This is a good site to help you get more education.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:26 PM   #17

Florida
All fun aside this is a very kind person with a lot of knowledge that has helped a lot of people for me it is sad to see somebody go for those reasons living in Central Florida and then camping for the last 20+ years I get it I’m sure there are others on this list to feel the same And or possibly see the writing on the wall For the same reasons.
All our best from Central Florida
Old 07-28-2021, 01:46 AM   #18

Arizona
I bought a nice little generator at Costco that works everything but the air conditioning. It's lightweight and comes with a 30 amp RV adapter. I use it in the mornings when my wife is still in bed and I don't want to fire up the big noisy generator under the bedroom.

BTW I hope you're somewhat handy around your home so it will help you with minor issues with your trailer and it will save you needless trips to you dealer.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, outlets, shore power