2021 Coleman Lantern Backup Prep - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2020, 02:06 AM   #1

New Jersey
2021 Coleman Lantern Backup Prep

Hi Everyone,
I hope this is the right place to post this. I recently purchased a 2021 Coleman Lantern 285BH from Dutchmen. It was prewired with "backup camera prep". It has what looks to me to be a Furrion mounting bracket, (and I am completely new at this).

I also bought a Furrion 7 S Observation System Single camera (Wireless) that I want to use as the rearview when trailering.

My problem is that the wiring doesn't seem right to me. The receiving plug that was prewired doesn't match the camera's connector. Does any one have any idea what type of system the Coleman's are prewired for? Do I need a different connector or should I be able to just cut the wire that is up there and attach power and ground to the wiring that came with the Camera package. See pictures.

First picture with my hand holding the wire is a picture of the connector coming out of the camper's prewired bracket. The next two are the wiring behind the gasket. The remaining pictures are the camera itself with its connectors and the extra wire that came with in the Furrion 7 S box along with the monitor and everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62301919845__C6BF1790-5ACB-4F67-990C-F1704A6209A8.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	6489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	6490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2065.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6491   Click image for larger version

Name:	62301909738__AA9420DB-9261-43B5-8196-B8DF8A365E9F.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	6492   Click image for larger version

Name:	62301901861__056BA7B9-1539-423C-9B3F-36EA957DFE98.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	6493  

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	6494  

mpack279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

Wisconsin
It is a simple setup made complicated by pre-wired socket. The important part of "pre-wire" is that the 12 volt supply is available at the mounting location. I assume your new camera is wireless. Most now days are.

The wire behind the mount is probably connected to either backup lights or marker lights. Mine is connected to marker lights.

Cut existing socket cable at the wire nuts. Connect your camera at that point. Be sure to use automotive wire nuts or splices. Vibration tends to disconnect home twist on wire nuts.

Adapt mounting plate as needed.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #3

California
Right connection

I bought the same system and it did just plug in to the pre-wired system. I am not using it because it is continually hot. See if the plug from the camera fits into the plug from you trailer.
jsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

New Jersey
I was able to get it going. Had to cut the prewired receiving plug and splice up the wiring that came with the kit. The prewired cables were connected to my running lights. That an there was a little operator error actually connecting the two plugs cause you really have to make sure they click together to get a good connection. Camera works great. I just have to remember to turn the TV lights on instead of leaving them on auto if I want to see what’s behind me.
mpack279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #5

Washington
I also wanted to use the camera as a rear view mirror. I didn't like the idea of having to turn on the running lights so I rewired the camera to the front of the trailer. On the inside rear wall where the camera connection location on the outside was there was a cabinet so I drilled a small hole just large enough for the wire to pass through the wall into the cabinet. I than used interior stick on conduit, available at Home Depot, since the wall was insulated and prevented wiring within the wall, to route the wire down the rear of the cabinet to the underside of the trailer and forward to the tongue and the battery. I installed a single pole single throw switch on the tongue which I turn on when pulling the trailer. Now the rear camera comes on without having to turn on the running lights and the switch turns it off when in storage.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #6

Virginia
my observation camera is hot all the time

Coleman 2605RL - Hi I would love to know how to turn off the power to the camera when I am camping. It is on when I plug in the TT, it doesn't need to have the truck hooked up to it at all to be on. I started to pulling fuses inside to see which one controlled the current to the camera. Got worried I was going to spark off something, and my wife was getting tired of going into the garage and killing the breaker ( parked at home). So I read where most are attached to the running lights, not mine. HELP. My question is should I continue pulling different fuses and give my wife a better workout of walking back and forth to see if the little blue light is off?? Click image for larger version

Name:	20201027_120050[1].jpg
Views:	676
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	6514

Name:	20201027_120212[1].jpg
Views:	308
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	6515

and yes thee is no fuse for 9 or 10, which I would of thought would be the one to pull. sorry they loaded from camera sideways..
WyoCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:47 AM   #7

Connecticut
So its not 9 or 10 since they don't have fuses. Just keep pulling them one at a time and have you wife stay back and hollar when the blue light goes off. Leave the last one out and put the rest back in. Use either your hands or a plastic puller so you don't accidently hit something and make sparks.
kimbo@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #8

Virginia
Called Dutchmen, tech said observation cam stay on all the time.. sigh... yes true. But why isn't it on a switch, or non-hot line when trailer is not plugged into truck. Like tail lights. I will go get plastic fuse puller, then I will find what else is on that fuse
Old 11-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #9

California
I know this doesn’t answer the question but why does it matter if this very low power camera stays on when the trailer is plugged in? If the monitors that received the signal is not on then no big deal and it barely uses any energy. Similar to or probably less than a Ring camera that has a motion detector on it. I guess it might shorten the life of the camera but it would still last for years and years until there is a better and cheaper replacement out there.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #10

Connecticut
Part of camping or rving is doing it yourself. If you have the doe there is the hotel and tour bus. Nothing wrong with asking for advice and doing it yourself. I put an LG washer/dryer in my rig. It was a project carpentry, electric and plumbing skills. I learned by doing. I use the old fashion back up camera. It's either me or my wife.
kimbo@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #11

Virginia
I finally came to grips with it not burning out the cam sooner. But one time, early in morning, I was headed out in just the pickup, I still had my monitor turned on in the pickup, put it in reverse and started backing out of the parking spot in behind my trailer. when I glanced up to look in the mirror I saw this darn pickup parked behind me, slammed on the brakes, and looked over my shoulder to see how I was going to be able to back up to get out.. then I realized it was me I was seeing parked behind me.. My comment is that if I could turn off the cam when docked for a month, it would be nice to be able to do so.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:01 PM   #12

Virginia
Had time to visit my wiring, camping world installed my observation camera, they connected it to an always hot wire. So re-did connection to trailer lights. Works perfect, have the truck's lights on, cam is on...
Old 02-27-2021, 09:09 PM   #13

Virginia
I just saw KJLarson's post on not wanting his truck n trailer running lights on while towing. Not certain if all states require the trailer lights to be on while being towed, day n night.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:13 AM   #14

Alabama
Connection too tight

Just got my Coleman camper and I’m having a similar problem. The camera connector and the RV preinstalled connector don’t match. I can get them to slightly connect but then it’s just too tight. WTF? So is the only fix to cut and splice the connector that came in the box?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1E7B4936-4859-43F3-AA16-01158A0B0F38.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	6960  
rickbhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbhill View Post
Just got my Coleman camper and I’m having a similar problem. The camera connector and the RV preinstalled connector don’t match. I can get them to slightly connect but then it’s just too tight. WTF? So is the only fix to cut and splice the connector that came in the box?
That looks like the power connector!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #16

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
That looks like the power connector!
Thanks for your reply.

It is the power cable. But there are no other cables coming off the back of the camera except the single, male 1/8” connection. All the videos I see online show that all you have to do to install the camera is connect the male wire on the camera to the female wire on the trailer.

Am I missing something?.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #17

Florida
look at the top of this post and you will see the process to change the connector... from what I read, the camera may be wireless but there are three connections to that connector you are looking at, one may be ground, then hot, then one video. The longer part of the connector is usually the ground.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:32 AM   #18

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
look at the top of this post and you will see the process to change the connector... from what I read, the camera may be wireless but there are three connections to that connector you are looking at, one may be ground, then hot, then one video. The longer part of the connector is usually the ground.

So I spliced in the connector and got the camera working but when I went to mount it back on, I found out that the mount is not for the Furrion camera I bought. It’s the same shark fin design and looks almost identical but I have to use the entire mount that came with it. And the predrilled holes don’t line up.

Are there different size Furrion cameras out there? I can’t find anything online and the Dutchmen website and paperwork I got don’t say anything about the camera type required.

*not sure why the photo is upside down. It’s right side up on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	98F8160F-A1CF-4FAD-9089-8A87A3E00009.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	6964  
Old 07-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #19

Virginia
Good day; my observation cam WAS on all the time. Had a tech doing my safety inspection take a look at it. they found out that when it was installed by the dealer, they did use a hot all the time connection. He switched it to be only when the headlights are on the wire. I guess that would be when tail lights or side markers are hot also anyway it my camera is not on if my truck is not hooked up the TT and lights not on. Some have mentioned not wanting headlights on while daytime driving. I rather be a little more visible in the day.