2021 Coleman Lantern Backup Prep - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2020, 02:06 AM   #1

New Jersey
2021 Coleman Lantern Backup Prep

Hi Everyone,
I hope this is the right place to post this. I recently purchased a 2021 Coleman Lantern 285BH from Dutchmen. It was prewired with "backup camera prep". It has what looks to me to be a Furrion mounting bracket, (and I am completely new at this).

I also bought a Furrion 7 S Observation System Single camera (Wireless) that I want to use as the rearview when trailering.

My problem is that the wiring doesn't seem right to me. The receiving plug that was prewired doesn't match the camera's connector. Does any one have any idea what type of system the Coleman's are prewired for? Do I need a different connector or should I be able to just cut the wire that is up there and attach power and ground to the wiring that came with the Camera package. See pictures.

First picture with my hand holding the wire is a picture of the connector coming out of the camper's prewired bracket. The next two are the wiring behind the gasket. The remaining pictures are the camera itself with its connectors and the extra wire that came with in the Furrion 7 S box along with the monitor and everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62301919845__C6BF1790-5ACB-4F67-990C-F1704A6209A8.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	6489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	6490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2065.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6491   Click image for larger version

Name:	62301909738__AA9420DB-9261-43B5-8196-B8DF8A365E9F.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	6492   Click image for larger version

Name:	62301901861__056BA7B9-1539-423C-9B3F-36EA957DFE98.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	6493  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	6494  

mpack279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

Wisconsin
It is a simple setup made complicated by pre-wired socket. The important part of "pre-wire" is that the 12 volt supply is available at the mounting location. I assume your new camera is wireless. Most now days are.

The wire behind the mount is probably connected to either backup lights or marker lights. Mine is connected to marker lights.

Cut existing socket cable at the wire nuts. Connect your camera at that point. Be sure to use automotive wire nuts or splices. Vibration tends to disconnect home twist on wire nuts.

Adapt mounting plate as needed.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #3

California
Right connection

I bought the same system and it did just plug in to the pre-wired system. I am not using it because it is continually hot. See if the plug from the camera fits into the plug from you trailer.
jsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #4

New Jersey
I was able to get it going. Had to cut the prewired receiving plug and splice up the wiring that came with the kit. The prewired cables were connected to my running lights. That an there was a little operator error actually connecting the two plugs cause you really have to make sure they click together to get a good connection. Camera works great. I just have to remember to turn the TV lights on instead of leaving them on auto if I want to see what’s behind me.
mpack279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #5

Washington
I also wanted to use the camera as a rear view mirror. I didn't like the idea of having to turn on the running lights so I rewired the camera to the front of the trailer. On the inside rear wall where the camera connection location on the outside was there was a cabinet so I drilled a small hole just large enough for the wire to pass through the wall into the cabinet. I than used interior stick on conduit, available at Home Depot, since the wall was insulated and prevented wiring within the wall, to route the wire down the rear of the cabinet to the underside of the trailer and forward to the tongue and the battery. I installed a single pole single throw switch on the tongue which I turn on when pulling the trailer. Now the rear camera comes on without having to turn on the running lights and the switch turns it off when in storage.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote