Wireless back up camera - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #1

British Columbia
Wireless back up camera

Looking for a wireless back up camera for my fiberglass shell 30' 5th wheel. The trailer is not prewired for a camera. I want it primarily to see when I'm backing into a site. My head is spinning trying to figure out makes and models. I don't mind spending money for things like audio and guidelines but I don't want to pay too much for an inferior product. Does anyone know of a good source for consumer reports for these things? Alternately has anyone had experience with any product or retailer.

Retired guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #2

Washington
Very Happy with Furrion Trailer Rear Camera

We have a furrion camera which is available on Amazon at: Furrion Vision S 4.3 Inch Wireless RV Backup System with 1 Rear Sharkfin Camera, Infrared Night Vision and Wide Viewing Angle - FOS43TASF. It is wireless and comes with a "booster" to increase the signal length for longer trailers. I have been very happy with it. Installation 1: you can wire it to the three red lights on the trailer or 2: extend and run a wire to the battery or reverse lug on the trailer plug. If wired to the lights they have to be on to turn the camera on. You can run a wire to the trailer plug, center lug (yellow wire) is reverse, so that the camera only comes on when when backing up. I chose to run a wire to the trailer battery positive terminal with a switch to turn the camera on and off; this way I also use it as a rear view mirror. When running the wire I also ran a wire for backup lights on the trailer, one installation solving two issues: backup camera and backup lights. Some of the others I tried had a weak signal and the image was not sharp, the Furrion image is very clean and sharp. I am very happy with it and recommend it.

kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #3

Michigan
I got tired of dealing with my factory wireless camera (replaced twice under warranty and quit yet again) that I got the add-on camera for my GARMIN RV GPS and I love it. The length of my trailer was a concern so I got the extension cable as well and mounted the transmitter on my front AC unit - works wonderfully and not having an additional screen on the dash is a plus too.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/501486#overview
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #4

Arizona
I bought the Furrion Vision camera and mounted it directly underneath the center red market light. Wired the dc power to the marker light.
This way I need to turn on the lights for the camera to work. This is good for me as I like having my parking lights on truck and the trailer lights on while running down the road.

I can always turn off the parking lights.

I have a 29 foot trailer and didn't need the booster... Have good range all the time.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #5

Nebraska
Several u tube full timers have the Halo. Splice wiring into the rear center marker light The one I will be purchasing will either be the 7” screen or the rear view mirror and the repeater for front of 5th wheel. Also the side marker cameras.
LorieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #6

Illinois
If you can find one, the Rand Mcnally WiFi backup camera works surprisingly well for it's price. It uses a phone app, and works with RoadVue. My trailer is 43' long and I have one mounted to the back of the cab above the slide window on the truck to see the 5th wheel while backing, and did a walk around to the back of the trailer, and sure enough good strong signal, so bought a second one.

I originally bought it from RM for $25 as a clearance item, and tried it with the Overdryve, which is it meant for, but the range was terrible with the BT connection, and it doesn't use the WiFi with the tablet, so I tossed the box aside. After getting the 5th wheel and finding I could not see the hitch when backing I dug it out and found the iPhone app. I then found out the iPhone app doesn't work with iOS 13+, but it gives the WiFi information to attach the camera to wifi, and then found Roadvue works with it. I have to dig out my old Samsung Android tablet and see if I can get it to work, because I bought a second one for the back of the trailer, and would be nice to have a larger screen for it.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:14 AM   #7

Georgia
Best Camera PERIOD!

Tadibrothers.com

I have used them all, go to Tadibrothers.com
Best stuff, best customer service!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:30 AM   #8

Oregon
Backup camera wireless

I just installed a Haloview MC7108 Wireless Backup Camera on my Aspen Trail 2750BHSWE and am pleased with the results. Mine was prewired for a Furrion camera which I got the pigtail adapter and mount which made it easier to install.
You can mount it below the middle clearance light and tie in to the light to provide power when your running lights are on. The set comes with ample wiring and connectors that plug into the camera, plus the display can be hardwired or plugged into a 12v cigarette lighter type power socket.
It boasts a 900+ft range line of sight but I don’t doubt that as I put the camera in my metal sided shop and it connected with no problem over 80ft away.
The 7” display is bright, easy to see and comes with a sun shade that snaps on. The picture is crisp and clear and it has backup guide lines to help see where you are headed. There are also many features I haven’t had time to explore and it also provides for extra cameras.
So far I am happy, the price is about $250 at Amazon. Here is a link if you are interested.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...aiidk-0PdRpUMj
Edwal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

Minnesota
I just installed the Hopkins Towing Solutions Vue Smart camera on my Aerolite (about $125, so cost effective in my view). Uses my iPhone for a display. Still have some set up/procedure stuff to do, but the image is very clear. In addition to campsites, I back my trailer up on a stand I built to level it near my shop. Done it with mirrors for years, but now the camera makes it even easier. One of the issues I need to resolve is I have wireless Apple CarPlay in my tow vehicle (2010 Escalade) with an after market Pioneer receiver. The Pioneer WiFi network fights with the Hopkins network in trying to connect to my phone. Fixes may include turning off CarPlay on the receiver, using a dedicated device (new iPhone probably needed anyway so keep my current phone for backing up), or moving ahead with a possible plan to replace my tow vehicle which will mean the Pioneer will go when it is sold. Camera is top notch, though. My Aerolite is the 213RBSL model, so not real long. Not sure if the camera has the range for a really big TT, but the Trailer Life article I read suggested that it did.

Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote