Dumb Things - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2023, 02:46 PM   #1

Florida
Dumb Things

I’ve only been an rv’er for ten or so years and I have made plenty of dumb mistakes, mostly from not knowing what I was doing or, better yet-lack of experience.

1. My toilet was stopped up.
My wife is subject to using too much paper, I thought that was definitely the problem. I tried everything to unstop it. Finally, I asked one of the park guys. He cut a branch off a nearby tree and said ”try this”. So I did, how was I supposed to know you needed to add water to your black tank before you started using it!

2. Was concentrating too much about the hookup process on my RV and just drove out of the yard. How I was supposed to remember that trash can was there. First dent on the new RV!

There’s more-what was your OH SH-T moment that I can learn from? In my business we used to call this a “teaching moment”.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:14 PM   #2

California
Along those lines….

Was leaving at night to get my trailer all set up for my family’s arrival the next day after school. While on the freeway a car flashes me as he goes past and points at my trailer.

I decide to pull over and discover not only is the trailer door open but my steps are down!

Talk about lucky. No damage so I was lucky.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:31 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Along those lines….

Was leaving at night to get my trailer all set up for my family’s arrival the next day after school. While on the freeway a car flashes me as he goes past and points at my trailer.

I decide to pull over and discover not only is the trailer door open but my steps are down!

Talk about lucky. No damage so I was lucky.

It's funny to laugh about it now-from my point of view.

In 2005. When we had all those hurricane’s in Florida, we had a generator shortage. I was on the phone with the lady from Home Depot that had just called me and, while I was getting gas, I started driving away with the hose still in my tank. Luckily, no damage except their hose handle was a little bent!
Old 02-04-2023, 10:46 AM   #4

Florida
Moving the rv with the morride steps down
Got about 10 feet then saw them in side
Mirror. No damage their Tougher than I thought
All our best central Florida
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:40 PM   #5

Florida
1. While staying at Grandfather campground in the wintertime, had no covers over the slides. First it was an ice storm then it was a snow storm. Ever try to close your slides with 4” of snow.

Spent two hours with a broom and a hose shooting water trying ro get the snow off.

2. Again, grandfather mountain campground! Left the gray water tank valve open, turned cold (-2 degrees). Sewer hose was frozen SOLID! Left with the gray and black tanks full. Threw the hose away!
Old 02-14-2023, 11:22 PM   #6

Montana
Tried to access a dispersed campsite towing my TT on a very primitive road. Didn't make the obvious conclusion that if you have to fold the vehicle side mirror in to fit through the trees, the trailer is not going to fit either.