Awning Tie Downs - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #1

Arizona
Awning Tie Downs

When camping, we often retract our awning when it is windy because we don't want to risk damage to the framework. I noticed that many people leave their awnings out with Tie Down systems. I am looking for advice on the use of Tie Down systems.
There are many kinds on the market. Some come with straps which when cinched down would appear to keep wind from forcing the awning upward. I am not sure what a tightly cinched awning would do if a blast of downward wind would occur. It doesn't seem like there would be adequate protection from downward wind.
I have also seen Tie Down systems which have a spring attached the ropes, but my concern would be too much flexibility and damage to the awning framework.
Any advice based on experience would be greatly appreaciated.

Guy Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:00 AM   #2

Wisconsin
I agree. Ropes or straps alone will not do much. However, using poles at the extended end of the awning and pulling down against the poles works very well. I have not tested mine in high winds yet, but in 15 mph wind it works fine. I expect it will work in even faster winds.
My poles have a cradle on the top end and a strap that wraps around the awning roller and is tied to a stake. The poles telescope and lock in place. They are extremely light weight.
They were advertise on iRV2 a year or two ago but I can't find the link today.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:56 AM   #3

Arizona
Thank you Paul. I like your solution. I will look for the poles.
Guy
Guy Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:43 AM   #4

Wyoming
They may survive in 15mph winds... but I can tell you from 4 summers up here in Wyoming that, you're risking severe damage in higher winds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WyomingWindSock.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	6395

Any time you leave your awning out while away from the rig is a roll of the dice. Most of the time you'll be fine... but every now & then they're gonna come up "snake eyes".

All it takes is a single STRONG gust of wind from the right direction from a passing storm cell... or even on a clear-sky day... and you're risking hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in repairs.

None yet this year, but i've seen multiple awnings ripped off of various rigs here. Torn canopies, bent arms, and worst case... brackets ripped right off of the side of the rig, causing big-time damage to exterior of the RV. Even one case where the entire awning assembly then blew across the campground, and then into a neighbor's RV site, causing damage to their rig.

I have "wind-shakers" installed on my 2 awnings (think of an old pinball machine TILT trigger"... and I STILL don't leave mine out if I'm going away from the rig for more than 10 minutes or so. Just not worth the risk to me.

But I guess that's what it all comes down to: risk vs. reward
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #5

Florida
I made the mistake of leaving the awning out when we were in Boone. Woke up to a noise that is hard to explain... winds were about 40-50. Rolled the awning back in and never put it out again at night. I’m like you, roll it up if you are leaving. Storms here in Florida boom up quickly
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #6

Arizona
On my 18' manual awning I replaced the 1/4-20 end retention bolts with eye bolts and a jam nut. I have 5/16"x12" landscape screws with a fender washer welded in place and 3 links of chain for each tie down. I can screw the landscape screws into the ground and use a ratchet strap from the eye bolt to the chain on the screw and snatch the awning as snug as I want to. This setup has withstood some pretty heavy winds, even at Burning Man, with no problems. It is also quick disconnect for when a problem does happen.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:02 AM   #7

Georgia
Aquablanco Qiestion

But how have you strengthened the awning (Fabric) attachment to your roof edge?
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:15 AM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerga View Post
But how have you strengthened the awning (Fabric) attachment to your roof edge?

I haven't seen a need to. My major concern is the awning being lifted by wind getting under it. I believe the spline is strong enough without reinforcement.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
I haven't seen a need to. My major concern is the awning being lifted by wind getting under it. I believe the spline is strong enough without reinforcement.
RichH
Excellent!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #10

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I agree. Ropes or straps alone will not do much. However, using poles at the extended end of the awning and pulling down against the poles works very well. I have not tested mine in high winds yet, but in 15 mph wind it works fine. I expect it will work in even faster winds.
My poles have a cradle on the top end and a strap that wraps around the awning roller and is tied to a stake. The poles telescope and lock in place. They are extremely light weight.
They were advertise on iRV2 a year or two ago but I can't find the link today.
I purchased both the anti-flap arms and the tie downs from Carefree Awnings. They are in CO and have a nice website. Both work well. The anti-flap arms really hold the awning solid in stiff breeze. The tie downs are the solid poles with the cradles for the awning, ropes, and stakes.

Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote