Awning repair/replace - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2020, 02:57 AM   #1

Ontario
Awning repair/replace

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I'm not doing this correctly LOL. We purchase the 2012 Dutchmen Arrow 232E last year. We were told by the seller that the awning had a small tear in it. When we actually set up for the 1st time, we found out that there was an actual huge rip in it, right at the seam, where the fabric meets the trailer, and it was about 3 feet long! I have since been online trying to find replacement fabric. My question is how do you know the right size? It says to measure the bars to know the correct sizing, which measures 17 feet. The current awning that is on it is 15 ft 6 in, which leaves some room on either side on the bar. This is not the original awning that would have came with the trailer. The metal roll bar that rolls the awning up and down measures 16 feet and 8 in from cap to cap. So the debate is do we purchase a 17 foot awning which will in theory come in at 16 ft 2 in, or do we purchase a 16 foot awning which will in theory come in at 15-foot 2 inch? We are really unsure and really leery of which way to go, and I have searched and searched and I cannot find anywhere online that tells me what size the awning should be. I have called several places asking if they know, and have been told they don't. And with everything going on with covid-19, it is more difficult because you can't just run to the store and speak with someone. The couple of people that I have been able to talk to have not been able to find what the measurement should be. But we're told if we bring it in, they'll figure it out for us and they'll install it for us. But we would like to do the job ourselves as it can cost so much. So I guess the long and short of it is HELP! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and welcomed! And thank you for taking the time to read my extremely long-winded message LOL.

DD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:26 PM   #2

Alabama
I have had to change the awning on my first fiver. The ends of the awing were 2.5 inches from the end of the roller cap. As is the ones on my current fiver. The problem I had was the length from the wall to the roller tube when fully open. I had to take it off and measure it. Then there was a double seam for attaching to the roller tube. The first awning came in with the double seem at 3 inches not the 4 inches needed. These seams slide into the roller tube. So I had to take it back and reorder. Remember to secure the roller ends when all the way open before removing the old awning. This way your spring is at the right tension after replacement.

Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:41 AM   #3

California
Get the longest one that will fit between the roller end caps. YouTube has some good how-to videos. I replaced my Domestic awning fabric without too much trouble. I did it with one helper, but it would have been easier with two
Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:43 AM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneTwo View Post
I have had to change the awning on my first fiver. The ends of the awing were 2.5 inches from the end of the roller cap. As is the ones on my current fiver. The problem I had was the length from the wall to the roller tube when fully open. I had to take it off and measure it. Then there was a double seam for attaching to the roller tube. The first awning came in with the double seem at 3 inches not the 4 inches needed. These seams slide into the roller tube. So I had to take it back and reorder. Remember to secure the roller ends when all the way open before removing the old awning. This way your spring is at the right tension after replacement.
Thanks for your reply! Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Our new fabric is due in on Tuesday so fingers crossed, all goes well. Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-21-2020, 02:50 AM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will59 View Post
Get the longest one that will fit between the roller end caps. YouTube has some good how-to videos. I replaced my Domestic awning fabric without too much trouble. I did it with one helper, but it would have been easier with two
Hey, thanks so much for responding! That's too funny, because it was a 15'2" on our trailer but we could fit up to a 16'8" if you measure the roller between the white caps. So we went back and forth several times talking about it because we weren't sure whether we should go ahead and order over the 15'2" or stick with the size that was on there. But we finally decided that we should go with you wider one and so the one that we ordered actually comes in at a finished fit of 16'4"! I'm so excited and can't wait! Now bring on the You Tube videos. We're gonna need all the help we can get, lol.
Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #6

Georgia
I am NOT exactly fleet of foot but changed mine with one helper. Another person would have been GREATLY appreciated. Make sure those sharp edged channels are spread and filed to avoid cutting your new fabric. I generously used liquid dish washing liquid as a lubricant. My hands/balance challenges and limited help made it a difficult task, but we got it done. It came out beautiful and was WELL worth the effort. YouTube and patience was vital.
Wgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgjr View Post
I am NOT exactly fleet of foot but changed mine with one helper. Another person would have been GREATLY appreciated. Make sure those sharp edged channels are spread and filed to avoid cutting your new fabric. I generously used liquid dish washing liquid as a lubricant. My hands/balance challenges and limited help made it a difficult task, but we got it done. It came out beautiful and was WELL worth the effort. YouTube and patience was vital.
Thank you for the tips! The dish soap is a great idea! and I don't think I would have thought of the dish soap, so thank you. But I wondered by the filing of the edging are you talking about the metal roller at the end of the awning where the whitecaps go on? And again, thanks!!
Old 05-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #8

Georgia
Each beaded end of the fabric has to slide through a channel that has sharp edges. You are gona have to pull the trailer side and roller side together.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #9

Arizona
Awning Replacement Fabric

I need to replace our awning fabric.
My question is, what is the standard fabric that came with it? I can't find any info anywhere that even says what it is?

I'm assuming it's probably the cheapest 13 ply vinyl. I just don't want to put the same crap fabric back on. Ours sun rotted in 1.5 yrs.

I can go 16 ply vinyl or the acrylic. I don't mind spending the extra money for the acrylic but if it's a thicker material (I don't know if it is) I don't want to create an issue of not being able to roll it all up.

Everyone says how they replaced theirs but I can't find what they replaced it with and what they started with. I really appreciate any comments. Well, the helpful ones anyway

2017 Kodiak Ultimate 291RESL
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #10

Wyoming
Ok, first off... like other components, there are a couple of different manufacturers of awnings used on RVs.

One of the more popular ones... and the brand that's been used on all of the Voltage that I've ever seen... is Carefree of Colorado.

If you have a Carefree awning, here's how you find out exactly what replacement awning fabric you need:

(other brands should be similar...)

When you unroll/extend your awning... if you look up & to the right of the motor-head... on the far left side of the roller-tube you will see a small white sticker. This sticker has both, the serial number of the awning unit, and the part number.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2528.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	6280

Name:	IMG_2527.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	6281

Name:	Rear Porch Awning Part Number.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	6282

Your next stop is the Carefree of Colorado website:
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com

When you get there... hover your cursor over the RV PRODUCTS link, and you'll get a drop-down menu of options. Find the CANOPY REPLACEMENT option, and click on it.

Name:	carefree1.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	6283

Now enter the Serial Number in the box on the top left:

Name:	carefree2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	6284

You'll now get a page showing your awning type, part number, etc... and over on the right, you'll see a link for ORDER A REPLACEMENT CANOPY.

Name:	Carefree3.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	6285

On the next page... if your current color & awning fabric type have not been discontinued, you'll find an option to order a direct replacement. If your canopy type has been discontinued, or if you would simply like to order a different fabric type & color... click on the various options shown, and it will give you prices.

I've ordered replacement canopies for all 3 of my awnings in the past, and never had an issue.

Hope this helps...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #11

Arizona
Thanks Tom
Great info!
I want to make sure we don't have the same issues with sun rot as we do on our current awning. We live in Northern Phoenix valley.

Are the metal covers something that add on or do you have to get then from factory that way?

Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Are the metal covers something that add on or do you have to get then from factory that way?
It is an upgrade option that comes attached to the canopy fabric. I believe Carefree calls it 'Alumi-Guard', or something like that.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #13

Arizona
Alright. I have the Carefree part number but they don't seem to have the options I need.

We have an LED light strip thats mounted to (sewn into) the fabric at the trailer side. Carefree's option only allows lighting "on the roller tube". I don't want to have to unroll the awning to use the light. Besides the power cord is only at the trailer.

Has anyone else replaced an awning fabric that had LED lights mounted at the awning base? If so, what did you do? Where did you find one?

Old 05-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #14

Illinois
Just wanted to take a second and say how appreciative I am of you Tom (ATCguy) always taking time out to help from novices to experienced RV'ers. You're a nice guy!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:16 AM   #15

Ontario
*** Thanks to All ***

*** JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE TIPS AND TRICKS. THEY CAME IN SO HANDY! WE HAVE OFFICIALLY CHANGED OUR FIRST AWNING! IT WAS A HUGE SUCCESS, AND COULD NOT HAVE BEEN DONE WITHOUT ALL OF YOUR TIPS AND TRICKS, SO AGAIN A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY WHO COMMENTED ON MY POST. I APPRECIATE IT***
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I'm not doing this correctly LOL. We purchase the 2012 Dutchmen Arrow 232E last year. We were told by the seller that the awning had a small tear in it. When we actually set up for the 1st time, we found out that there was an actual huge rip in it, right at the seam, where the fabric meets the trailer, and it was about 3 feet long! I have since been online trying to find replacement fabric. My question is how do you know the right size? It says to measure the bars to know the correct sizing, which measures 17 feet. The current awning that is on it is 15 ft 6 in, which leaves some room on either side on the bar. This is not the original awning that would have came with the trailer. The metal roll bar that rolls the awning up and down measures 16 feet and 8 in from cap to cap. So the debate is do we purchase a 17 foot awning which will in theory come in at 16 ft 2 in, or do we purchase a 16 foot awning which will in theory come in at 15-foot 2 inch? We are really unsure and really leery of which way to go, and I have searched and searched and I cannot find anywhere online that tells me what size the awning should be. I have called several places asking if they know, and have been told they don't. And with everything going on with covid-19, it is more difficult because you can't just run to the store and speak with someone. The couple of people that I have been able to talk to have not been able to find what the measurement should be. But we're told if we bring it in, they'll figure it out for us and they'll install it for us. But we would like to do the job ourselves as it can cost so much. So I guess the long and short of it is HELP! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and welcomed! And thank you for taking the time to read my extremely long-winded message LOL.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #16

Georgia
You're welcome. Great to hear. Knew you could do it !!!