Tow Vehicle for 300TQ - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2023, 04:34 PM   #1

Washington
Tow Vehicle for 300TQ

Hello. I currently pull my 2021 300TQ with a 2019 (previous generation) 1500 Silverado. I love the truck as it's also my daily commuter. However I feel the truck struggles when I go up grades, especially with the 800lb motorcycle. The trailer tongue weight is very close the the truck's max which worries me. I want to upgrade to a 2500 but cannot decide between the diesel vs. gas. Diesel's got more torque, but the gas is $10,000 less. Any experience out there on this? I don't tow with waste or water, and just have the two batteries and LP tanks on the tongue, so about 8000lbs is as heavy as it ever gets.

klc9761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #2

California
Tow Vehicle for 300TQ

Lots of things to consider here. Personally, if you never plan on increasing to a larger trailer and there is plenty of capacity on a gasser I would go that route. Gas trucks are much less expensive to buy and maintain/repair and much easier to find places to work on too. They also perform much better in cold weather and have fewer components to deal with.

On the positive side a diesel engine will last longer and be more fuel efficient but the higher initial cost and much more expensive maintenance will likely make your total cost of ownership much higher with a diesel engine. More oil so more costly oil changes, more frequent fuel filter changes, way more fuel pressure required so expensive injection pumps that can cost thousands to replace. A lift pump in the fuel tank that can fail.

As an example at 150,000 mile you might need to replace all your injectors and between $300 and $500 a piece so 8 unless a Ram then 6 of those. You could buy a brand new gas engine for that price give or take so what do you really gain by the diesel engine that will last 500,000 miles?

The other pain is diesel emissions fluid (DEF). Newer trucks use more than even trucks from a few years ago and it is one more emissions component to break with pumps, injectors and sensors that fail. And these emissions systems and parts of the engine really don’t like lots of short trips. They work much better when they run at normal operating temperatures for a long time which is another story.

Sure you could get a pre 2008 truck without all the emissions stuff but now you have a really old truck with 15 year old creature comforts and way up in the life cycle of repairs and maintenance. Unless you are buying that truck from a trusted friend or family member there is no way to know what you have in store.

Also, in sub freezing weather diesel fuel can gel so block warmers need to be plugged in or they might not start. And in really cold places you might even need to cover your radiator when driving.

Yes, you are going to spend more money on fuel because fuel mileage really drops with a gasser when towing on the heavy side and you will require more frequent fuel stops but you will be thousands ahead in the long run provided you find a gasser that has the capacity to do what you need.

In my case I have a Voltage 5th wheel toy hauler so I can’t pull it with a gasser as it weighs 16k lbs or so when fully loaded, so only a diesel does the job. My 2017 Ram is a great truck but I have to deal with all of the above. So a much bigger undertaking.

A well maintained diesel is tough to beat when towing but be aware of the cost of ownership. If you can stomach all of the above financially they can be great but buyer beware!

Old 10-04-2023, 07:41 PM   #3

Florida
I just bought a new 3500 duramax. You won’t go wrong with diesel
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 03:43 AM   #4

Illinois
Could always get an F250 with the 7.3, MORE than enough for what you are towing and then some. 430 HP and 480lb-ft torque, compared to 401 and 464 for the GM.

If you can find one that is.

It would save you boatloads of down the road costs in both fuel and maintenance (unless you have a TSD card, then just maintenance). It's the closest you will get to diesel power without getting a diesel.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote