Show off your Mods - Page 34 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #661

Nevada
Pat: Welcome, and yes you will have a lot of time to make changes, even at the camp site, you can add things while the family is off playing...Don't go to the "Show off your Mods" yet...LOL You may have to use a bigger paper to write all the changes....
Rich

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:12 AM   #662

New Jersey
Rich.
Thanks for the kind welcome.. Guess I'm Just a compulsive DIYer
My wife to be and I did a lot of camping in a van I converted after getting my first job...in the 70's. Designed my own bench seats that folded into a bed, with storage underneath. Had a 3 cuft coleman icebox (not refrig), Had a half keg 15 Gal water supply to a single faucet and mini sink, pressurized by hand pump... a 120v 1500 watt forced air elect heater and toward the end a porta potty.. Traveled from Vermont to Florida. The van kept us high dry and warm thru thunderstorms and even sub-zero weather in vermont. They were the best of times.....

Guess I cant wait to relive the whole experience all over again knowing a bit more than I did then. and with a lot more in the way of conveniences, time and resources..
In fact I'm seriously thinking about modifying my dinette with my old folding seat design. Anyway I think I need to take a wait and see position. After our first few trips I'll be able to set priorities and tackle each project one at a time....
Then I'll need to post the mods and even the faux pas!!!
Its gonna be a long wait till spring!!

Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 AM   #663

Wyoming
Ok... not for nothing, and I'm not trying to be mean here... but this thread is in the TOY HAULER folder.

While I'm sure there are a few items that are common between all RVs... when I come here, I don't want to see posts with modifications that have nothing to do with toy haulers.

Again, not trying to be mean spirited here... but with over 660 posts, it's cluttered and hard enough to find posts already. Maybe it's time to start a similar thread somewhere else on the site.

Just sayin...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #664

New Jersey
Oops sorry about that
Allentown, NJ
Old 01-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #665
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ok... not for nothing, and I'm not trying to be mean here... but this thread is in the TOY HAULER folder.

While I'm sure there are a few items that are common between all RVs... when I come here, I don't want to see posts with modifications that have nothing to do with toy haulers.

Again, not trying to be mean spirited here... but with over 660 posts, it's cluttered and hard enough to find posts already. Maybe it's time to start a similar thread somewhere else on the site.

Just sayin...
The best thing would be for each person to start their own thread with their list of mods and just add to their thread as they make mods. Then periodically make a new one. Without being able to edit an old thread the only way to update is to add posts. It does make for some unwieldy threads.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #666

California
..or have a mods thread ineach forum, under 5th wheels, under travel trailers, etc, for mods of each line. And under a new toy hauler mods thread, we can just use the original mods post number for reference to those. First Time RV"er - we look forward to more of your news there - i read them all!
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #667
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCToyhauler View Post
..or have a mods thread ineach forum, under 5th wheels, under travel trailers, etc, for mods of each line. And under a new toy hauler mods thread, we can just use the original mods post number for reference to those. First Time RV"er - we look forward to more of your news there - i read them all!
There is a separate forum section for mods and upgrades... Maybe this thread needs to be split off and moved to that forum?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #668

New Jersey
I do appreciate your patience.. If I start barking up the wrong tree, or the wrong thread in this case, just point me in the right direction.

All the best
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #669

Wyoming
Well, 2 more mods done on mine over the past few weeks...

1) I had already replaced all of the TV's in my rig with larger units last summer. Well, the one I put in the garage was just a bit too big... so I sold it to someone here in the RV park, and replaced it with the same unit I got for my exterior TV: a 28" Samsung UN28H4500 Smart TV.

It is just about the perfect size for the area. Whereas the much smaller 20" Haier TV that came with the rig fit inside the cabinet frame... this one is just large enough to cover it without being so large as to block access the areas around it.

I used an articulating arm mount to install it, which gives me a few inches of travel to the left & right as needed... or to move out of the way for access behind it for my DirecTV mini-genie units.

2) The other mod was to mount my 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display under the Happy-Jack bunk, using a MOR/ryde TV56010H Flip Down and Swivel Ceiling TV Mount:

When the bike's out of the garage, I use the area as a makeshift home/office for my Macbook, printer, etc. But I hate only having the small laptop display when I'm trying to map out rides, or work spreadsheets, etc... so not only was this a convenient way to use the larger Thunderbolt Display, but also a way to easily store the unit during transport. All I have to do is turn the display around 180 degrees, fold it, and secure with the strap to the bottom of the bunk.

I thought of making an additional shelf mount for the printer/scanner... but as you have to open the top to copy or scan items, not sure how useful that would be. Still working on that.

Not sure this is for everyone... but figured I'd post it anyway.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #670

Virginia
After fighting running new wires for our satellite, I thought about and I really only needed to run two new wires. One for the Bedroom and one for the outside. We really don't ever watch TV in the garage but with the RCA wires already running from the outside to the garage, I can the same channel to that TV.

While running the wires I decided to clean up the outside and install a 32" TV on an arm. This will allow us to angle towards where we are sitting or away from the sun.

Sorry for the pics being sideways, I can not remember how to get them to show the right way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4447.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	2990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4452.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	2991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4449.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4448.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	2993  

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #671

Maryland
Washer Install

We installed a Kenmore 41382 front load washer with pedestal. I removed the TV, cut the cabinet flush at the middle section, and the washer fits nicely in that spot. I saved the bottom of the cabinet to install to the section I cut for fit/finish. Also pulled the radio, as the wires are a mess, will be tackling that this week. I have a ceiling mount for a TV, that will be mounted near the washer, stowed up for travel.

Washed two loads yesterday...towels on extra high spin came out nearly dry and no shaking in the trailer. I saved the drum bolt so, as I can put them back in during travel.

Cale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2994  

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #672

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
We installed a Kenmore 41382 front load washer with pedestal. I removed the TV, cut the cabinet flush at the middle section, and the washer fits nicely in that spot. I saved the bottom of the cabinet to install to the section I cut for fit/finish. Also pulled the radio, as the wires are a mess, will be tackling that this week. I have a ceiling mount for a TV, that will be mounted near the washer, stowed up for travel.

Washed two loads yesterday...towels on extra high spin came out nearly dry and no shaking in the trailer. I saved the drum bolt so, as I can put them back in during travel.

Cale
Cale - based on all of your other posts, you are a smart guy - just don't forget to add this to your list to winterize if you ever do have to winterize your rig.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #673

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4play View Post
After fighting running new wires for our satellite, I thought about and I really only needed to run two new wires. One for the Bedroom and one for the outside. We really don't ever watch TV in the garage but with the RCA wires already running from the outside to the garage, I can the same channel to that TV.

While running the wires I decided to clean up the outside and install a 32" TV on an arm. This will allow us to angle towards where we are sitting or away from the sun.

Sorry for the pics being sideways, I can not remember how to get them to show the right way!
Moto - that looks great. We appear to have the same rigs! What arm did you use? I want a bigger, nicer TV outside as well, but was concerned with door closing properly, etc...and a 32" would be great out there!
Old 03-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #674

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Moto - that looks great. We appear to have the same rigs! What arm did you use? I want a bigger, nicer TV outside as well, but was concerned with door closing properly, etc...and a 32" would be great out there!
Here is a link to the arm, works great. You have turn the TV out at an angle to swing out. 32" fits just behind the gas struts when locked in place. Putting an arm on the living room TV today to allow access to the wires and to get a bigger TV. Just bought a 48" Curved Samsung. I'll upload pics after I get it installed.

Hoping to put in a new curved sound bar as well since we never received a new sub-woofer from our dealer after the original one almost caught fire.

Robot Check

Phil
Old 03-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #675

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Cale - based on all of your other posts, you are a smart guy - just don't forget to add this to your list to winterize if you ever do have to winterize your rig.
For sure...at least that part is easy, disconnect hoses and drain through water pump accessible through front panel..

Drier is going to be tackled here soon. Need the wx to warm up and stop raining before I crawl around on the ground.

Cale

Old 03-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #676

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4play View Post
Here is a link to the arm, works great. You have turn the TV out at an angle to swing out. 32" fits just behind the gas struts when locked in place. Putting an arm on the living room TV today to allow access to the wires and to get a bigger TV. Just bought a 48" Curved Samsung. I'll upload pics after I get it installed.

Hoping to put in a new curved sound bar as well since we never received a new sub-woofer from our dealer after the original one almost caught fire.

Robot Check
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #677

Virginia
Here is our new Samsung 48" curved 4k smart TV. I am wiring on installing a sound bar, not a lot of room left. Fits nice and it is now mounted to a swing arm to allow easy access to the wires and the satellite box I mounted behind the TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4460.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	2997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4461.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	2998  

Phil
Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #678

Maryland
What mount did you use?

Can you snap some pics of the TV swung out?

Does it lock in place?

Last year, I mounted some wood framing to the cheesy metal brace to shore up the TV and sound bar, still a pain to get down... Being on an articulating arm would be much more convenient.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #679

Virginia
Quote:
What mount did you use?

Can you snap some pics of the TV swung out?

Does it lock in place?

Last year, I mounted some wood framing to the cheesy metal brace to shore up the TV and sound bar, still a pain to get down... Being on an articulating arm would be much more convenient.
Once I get the sound bar mounted I will take some pics of it swung out. Need to clean up wires behind the TV and fix the satellite box to the wall(still using the older model,very large). Will be even easier once I go to the Genie system.

The mount is just a standard arm from HHgreg 37" to 63", it does not lock. I did not want a locking one because there is no way to get your hand behind it. Debating whether or not to put a strap around the TV. The Arm is really hard to pull out, not likely to just swing out. You could also tighten the nuts to make it even tighter.

Phil
Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #680

Oklahoma
Quote:

Cale
Cale, when you tackle the radio wire clean up job will you pay particular attention to the RF receiver's connections? I have an antenna wire and a black and red wire which I know are power wires. The last wire is yellow, that's the one I don't know where it gets connected.
This is all assuming you have a remote controlled radio/dvd thing in the garage.
Thanks

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote