Norcold high temperature limit switch - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #21

Oklahoma
The flame looks good, nice and blue and strong. However, the yellow stuff is strange. You would have a yellow residue with a leak but you didn't smell amonia but it could have leaked while driving on the road and that part is outside so perhaps no odor made it inside.

I guess you could sniff the yellow stuff and see. There isn't any reason for that to be there. I

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #22

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
After reading back you didnt say if this condition is in electic mode or gas mode. If this occurs in electric mode you have 2 heating elements. If on goes out it will not cool the lower half of the fridge. The top (freezer) always cools first. The elements are located above the burner stack.. they are two rods that stick down into the tube. I would check those as well.
As many of these things I've lived with and repaired I don't recall a two element heater unless it was in the old 12/110 volt refrigerators.
Those were always located along side the perk tube so they could heat the solution to a boiling point and make the solution rise.

Must be something new in the industry, care to share your resource so I can get caught up?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #23

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Even if they did know what they're doing I bet it's a four hour job. That should include removal of the entrance door of course.
I'm trying to be the glass is half full guy this time.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #24

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
I'm trying to be the glass is half full guy this time.
I'm with you on that! Actually they won't have to remove the door, they can go down the garage ramp. I forgot about that egress.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #25

Tennessee
Quote:
As many of these things I've lived with and repaired I don't recall a two element heater unless it was in the old 12/110 volt refrigerators.
Those were always located along side the perk tube so they could heat the solution to a boiling point and make the solution rise.

Must be something new in the industry, care to share your resource so I can get caught up?
The 99 Norcold I had in my Blue Bird had two heating elements. Not sure what my new one has. Could be just one . However after looking at his picture neither gas or element is the problem. It appears as shown the ammonia has leaked out possibly due to a failure to the coolong unit.

With that said if the thermo cut off switch des not shut the unit off as designed when it over heats there is a chance it WILL catch fire, I have experienced this first hand . Fire totally destroyed my bus. I have installed a halon system in the compartment to hopefully extinguish any fire that may occur with this ongoing proplem Norcold has with these units.

Please feel free to research Norcold fires and see for yourself.... PLEASE! Theres also a class action suit against them.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
The 99 Norcold I had in my Blue Bird had two heating elements. Not sure what my new one has. Could be just one . However after looking at his picture neither gas or element is the problem. It appears as shown the ammonia has leaked out possibly due to a failure to the coolong unit.

With that said if the thermo cut off switch des not shut the unit off as designed when it over heats there is a chance it WILL catch fire, I have experienced this first hand . Fire totally destroyed my bus. I have installed a halon system in the compartment to hopefully extinguish any fire that may occur with this ongoing proplem Norcold has with these units.

Please feel free to research Norcold fires and see for yourself.... PLEASE! Theres also a class action suit against them.
The NHTSA has a couple of recalls on Norcold refrigerators.

There was one regarding a faulty high limit switch and one regarding a leak.

If you do a search for your make and model of camper you will find vehicle specific recalls. Searching Norcold will give you fridge model recalls.

Not something to fool with, it seems that a few rigs have burnt down due to faulty fridges.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #27

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
The NHTSA has a couple of recalls on Norcold refrigerators.

There was one regarding a faulty high limit switch and one regarding a leak.

If you do a search for your make and model of camper you will find vehicle specific recalls. Searching Norcold will give you fridge model recalls.

Not something to fool with, it seems that a few rigs have burnt down due to faulty fridges.
Even one with the recalls done like mine, up in smoke..... with me inside asleep. Also make sure smoke detectors work,!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 AM   #28

Tennessee

Any questions?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #29

Oklahoma
Was that Norcold in a slide?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #30

Tennessee
Quote:
Was that Norcold in a slide?
No slide.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
No slide.

Happy you made it out, I hope no injuries happened as a result.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #32

Arkansas
My Norcold is not on the recall list and neither is the cooling unit.

I have an appointment with Camping World on Monday evening. The service rep told me to discontinue use and the unplug the fridge because the coolant mixture contains Hydrogen and is very flammable.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #33

Tennessee
Mr Brown please keep us advised as to the cause and solution to the problem. I am aware there are no recalls as of yet on the newer units. But problems like yours could initiate one if the proplem persist. Thanks and good luck. I will try and post pictures of the halon system I installed to hopefully extinguish a fire should it occur in the refrigerator compartment.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #34

Arkansas
Quote:
Mr Brown please keep us advised as to the cause and solution to the problem. I am aware there are no recalls as of yet on the newer units. But problems like yours could initiate one if the proplem persist. Thanks and good luck. I will try and post pictures of the halon system I installed to hopefully extinguish a fire should it occur in the refrigerator compartment.
Thank you one and all for your help and I will update when the problem is resolved. I am interested in the halon system.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:05 AM   #35

Tennessee
I must be a blooming idiot for getting anything with a Norcold refrigerator in it! After all I've been through.... even a fire the nearly cost me my life because of Norcold and their crappy product. What a joke. I will be removing it to either install a residential unit, or a different cooling unit Amish built. Have heard good reviews on them.

Went out this afternoon to prep for a trip and the NORCOLD NOT WORKING... #$¥₩^&%=_£.
What a piece of junk. Im over it. In short, the high temp limit switch shut it down. This is common. Apparently Norcold has not fixed the ongoing issues that plaques that company. Numerous Fires, even death as a result of their products..... yea, I'm mad at the moment, thanks for letting me vent...
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #36

Oklahoma
Hell of a way to start the day!!! The switch did what it's supposed to do so that's a good thing. But, did it work because there was a high temperature sensed or for another reason?

Some of them can be reset and I know you wouldn't think about by passing it so I expect it'll be yanked outta there.

The Amish built unit is a good topic for another thread.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #37

Tennessee
I'm not messing with it. Dealer will inspect Friday morning. They say unit is resettable however, unit for safety reasons has to be checked. No arguments from me on that one. Still after this episode I'm looking for alternatives. Those that are happy with theirs I was too until the Norcold cooling unit destroyed my bus!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #38

Oklahoma
Yep, I understand your thinking on this point. If I get into the place where I have to choose I think I'd go with a residential unit. Campgrounds have the electricity and I have an idle Onan 5500 waiting to be put to good use.

I spent all day yesterday looking for automatic fire extinguishers, mainly one to put in the garage and a small one for the refrigerator compartment.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #39

Tennessee
Residential is what I'm considering closely. Finding a good fit may be a challenge. Also the weight, and the fact the water heater is below. I would probably have to reinforce all that too. I have a Halon fire suppression system already in place behind refrigerator.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #40

Arkansas
Quote:
Went out this afternoon to prep for a trip and the NORCOLD NOT WORKING... #$¥₩^&%=_£.
I sure sympathize with you. We have been living out of three ice chests for over 6 weeks now.

We are currently making our way from Vineland, NJ to Camping World in Akron, OH. We have an appointment Monday morning to replace our NORCOLD and Samsung Living Room TV.

We will be SOOOO glad to have our refrigerator back.