Garage AC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #1

Alabama
Garage AC

All, new to the forum and have a question... I have a 2012 Voltage 3950 Epic and was thinking about adding an AC unit in the garage...does anyone have some info about what would need to be done or any other advice about things I need to get worked out before I have the AC done? Two AC units just does not cut it down south in the summer...

swaldrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Ohio
Garage A/C

I have exact camper as you
I just got a portable A/C from Lowes They had two different sizes a 11,000 btu ($400.00) and an 8,000 btu($280.00). I got the 11,000 btu because they were out of the 8,000 . If inside garage looking at rear walk in door the window to the left just take sreeen out crank window all the way out which is not much. Stick plastic piece from A/C that has the two hoses on it (one exhaust and one intake) put a dish towel that is folded up one both sides of window to keep bugs out. Plug in under TV And It works great. I have the Happi jac top queen bed/bottom combo that I think will be in the way when in the up postion if I put roof A/C in. I very rarely use upper bed so it stays up against the ceiling blocking lights speakers, and square hole/vent where the A/C would go??

1996 F-350 SWD 7.3 Liter Diesel
cewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

Louisiana
I too am curious to know if adding an AC in the garage is a simple task. I would think you could replace the existing Fantastic Fan and install an AC in it's place. I think I read somewhere that Voltage has wires already run up there for power, data, and thermostat.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #4

Colorado
Garage AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldrep View Post
All, new to the forum and have a question... I have a 2012 Voltage 3950 Epic and was thinking about adding an AC unit in the garage...does anyone have some info about what would need to be done or any other advice about things I need to get worked out before I have the AC done? Two AC units just does not cut it down south in the summer...
I own a 2013 v3200 with 3 factory-installed AC units. The AC unit cannot run off of the fan circuit because the fan is on a shared 12-volt garage circuit (K in diagram below). Check the main fusebox and look for three AC breakers. If not installed there, I would assume the wire is not installed. These are all individual 12/3 or 14/3 runs and not a harness so there is no reason for them to spend the expense of running the extra wire, etc., if not part of the build.

The attached link is the wiring diagram I received from Dutchman before I installed the Xantrex 3000 and clearly shows what are 120v and 12v circuits:

http://www.diggio.com/Voltage%20V3200%20Wiring.jpg

Regards,
Diggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #5

Oklahoma
The diagram shows the A/C in the garage as being its own thing and not replacing the vent. The 12 volt fan circuit isn't used so it isn't a consideration when it comes to the A/C being installed.

G8 isn't shown as optional wiring so perhaps the 110v wiring is up there.

If you've pulled enough wires in one of these rigs you'll know that Dutchman does not have a problem with extra wire lengths. One 110v circuit stuffed in the ceiling would be considerably cheaper than trying to retro wire the circuit in.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote