Dutchman wiring and grey/black meters - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #1

Florida
Dutchman wiring and grey/black meters

So after experiencing and reading so many problems with Dutchman wiring how do I know what level my grey and black tanks are at? They have read the same thing from when I bought the rig two years ago, doesn't change no matter what my usage is. Oh and by the way thanks for the generator fuel gauge grounding tip, that doesn't work either, have to try the fix. Who the hell is wiring these rigs??? Frustrating!! Better to buy used with bugs worked out already

taamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:38 AM   #2

California
Is there a reason why you didn’t get any of this looked at while under warranty?

I have never looked at the wiring for the tank levels but I would speculate it might be a bad ground somewhere since both are not working.

As far as the fuel gauge I would check the wiring at the fuel tank. Mine was wired up terribly with electrical tape connections instead of wire nuts or butt splices. I found a bad connection there and reconnected and that solved my issue. This happened later in my ownership as it worked its way loose.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

Wisconsin
I think you know the solution. Trade it in for something else. Don't buy Dutchmen, Kodiak, Keystone, or Voltage.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:49 PM   #4

Michigan
The level indicators never work, I don't care what you do. You can flush the tanks, fill them with cleaner, doesn't matter, they wont work. You will always have problems with wireing, that's the nature of RV's and boats. Grounds and connections are susceptible to corrosion and loosening. You just have to stay on top of it.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #5

Washington
Dutchmen uses a standardized color coding for their wiring. Follow this lead to get a PDF copy of the coding: https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...box_Oct20b.pdf
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #6

Alabama
Most entries I see when someone buys used is that more problems are on the way. Also there are a lot of questions on how things operate because the manuals are useless or nonexistent.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #7

Washington
Useless manuals is an understatement. Keystone does not provide any unit specific manuals just a catch all manual that contains zero useful information. I have had to do online searches for each device in my "new" Kodiak.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlarson View Post
Dutchmen uses a standardized color coding for their wiring. Follow this lead to get a PDF copy of the coding: https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...box_Oct20b.pdf
Thank you. I really needed that PDF.

I never thought to search for company wide standards.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:48 AM   #9

Oregon
So how did this ever happen, “ Dutchmen has been recognized as a Top 10 Manufacturer to receive the Circle of Excellence award for earning the highest ratings in the Dealer Satisfaction Survey for its Kodiak and Aspen Trail by the RV Dealers Association (RVDA).”

I figure there are only 10 manufacturers in the running. So last place gets you recognition?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:17 AM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
So how did this ever happen, “ Dutchmen has been recognized as a Top 10 Manufacturer to receive the Circle of Excellence award for earning the highest ratings in the Dealer Satisfaction Survey for its Kodiak and Aspen Trail by the RV Dealers Association (RVDA).”

I figure there are only 10 manufacturers in the running. So last place gets you recognition?
The doctor who graduates last in his class is still called Doctor!

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote