Slide Override - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 04:01 AM   #1

California
Slide Override

We seem to be having intermittent problems with our 2020 Dutchmen 2903BH Slide. During our last trip, it refused to go back in. We had to muscle it in from the outside while I pushed the button. I have tried the switch up and down a couple of times. I don't even hear the motor running. It just stops and does nothing. The slide since we bought it runs very slow, and I figured it was due to the fact it's a sizeable massive slide. But this is not the first time it has had stopping issues. We did not receive a manual or paperwork about the slide in our blue bag of trailer manual goodies but do have the override tool included.

After an extensive search taking off-panel and pieces of stripping, we still are unable to find the override motor or area to plug that tool In. We would like to locate this, so we are not entirely stranded with a Slide-out. Any ideas? We do have a weather package, so the undercarriage is enclosed, and there is no panel underneath where the slide is located. As a side note it is a cable-driven slide.

Searh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searh View Post
We seem to be having intermittent problems with our 2020 Dutchmen 2903BH Slide. During our last trip, it refused to go back in. We had to muscle it in from the outside while I pushed the button. I have tried the switch up and down a couple of times. I don't even hear the motor running. It just stops and does nothing. The slide since we bought it runs very slow, and I figured it was due to the fact it's a sizeable massive slide. But this is not the first time it has had stopping issues. We did not receive a manual or paperwork about the slide in our blue bag of trailer manual goodies but do have the override tool included.

After an extensive search taking off-panel and pieces of stripping, we still are unable to find the override motor or area to plug that tool In. We would like to locate this, so we are not entirely stranded with a Slide-out. Any ideas? We do have a weather package, so the undercarriage is enclosed, and there is no panel underneath where the slide is located. As a side note it is a cable-driven slide.

We need the specifics on the RV. Not all slide systems have a manual over ride option.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #3

California
I can provide more specifics or try to find the information. Above I stated it's a 2020 Dutchmen Astoria 2903BH and a cable system. What other information would be helpful?
Old 08-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searh View Post
I can provide more specifics or try to find the information. Above I stated it's a 2020 Dutchmen Astoria 2903BH and a cable system. What other information would be helpful?

You did a fine job of adding your specifics and I did a poor job of seeing them but I blame it on lack of coffee.

Someone will come along with the location of the gear box or motor for manual retraction and extension.

I think I remember some saying the cable guides are becoming loose from their attachment points on the walls.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #5

California
Thank you so much for responding. I understand the needed coffee requirement entirely. I have tried to do my due diligence searching online, youtube, manufacturer of slide manuals, and just basically falling down a rabbit hole. We leave Sunday for another trip, and my nerves are frayed. Dealer is hundreds of miles away and complete jerks who want to keep the rig for several months amongst the many other issues we have had with them.

After taking the two rubber seal pieces off each side of the inside of the slide at the very bottom, I see what maybe or possibly could be two small silver cylinder motors (one on each side). It is incredibly tight, and I'm not positive what I'm looking at. My only thought is even to access I would need to go under the rig and cut Into the weather package in hopes it might be located there, which I'm not excited to do. I have un-bolted the black weather package on each side of the slide and shined the flashlight in, and nothing shouted here I am.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Hate to see these problems on a new RV but it's still a Dutchman and a product failure that shouldn't be.

I don't have cable operated slides so I can only help keep the thread alive so someone will eventually get you on the right track with this problem.

I have had and have slide problems so I understand the frustration with these things.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #7

New York
So you do have cables on all four corners of the slide, If so I beleive its made by Norco ( Acuslide System ) Again if this is correct, and the tool your talking about is a stainless flexible peice maybe 12 inches long. On the inside of your slide, in the center top, there is probably some center kind of large molding. This has to be removed to gain access to the motor and gear box. On the motor side, in the center of the motor, is a opening to insert the tool, this will drive the gearbox through a drill, or better yet a cordless drill. I just replaced my damaged gearbox in my Voltage Epic V. There is a high torque motor available, and it definetly runs a lot better, smoother, and faster than the original. The best thing to do with this molding, as it is stapled in place, is to reinstall with a dry wall screw, so future removal is easy using a screwdriver. I hope this helps. Barry
barrymerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #8

California
My gearbox went a month ago. I started gettting a rhythmic thump every second or so and the slide would pop or jump. First repair guy told me I had a broken pulley in the wall and he would need to order parts and replace. I got home and the mobile repair guy I use here determined the first guy was wrong and it was either the motor or gearbox but suggested I replace both as troubleshooting and labor would be the same. Found the part on line for $150 delivered and replaced it. Old unit had broken teeth in the gearbox.

I saw the high torque model mentioned above but ultimately decided to replace with the original because I figure the electrical draw would be the same and if the standard torque motor could break the teeth in the gearbox then surely the higher torque version could do it easier!

New one works great and bolted right up.

So that is two slide failures in about 3 months with only one left to break. Although in fairness I can’t blame Dutchmen for the last one as they did not make the gearbox, although they did choose the components so maybe it was cheap sourcing on their part.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:11 AM   #9

New Mexico
I have the same problem with my 2018 Coleman (Dutchman) small camper 1605FB. The slide quit after only about the 3rd short weekend trip. Glad it wouldn't open as It poured rain the whole two nights. I got it home and first checked the battery and it wouldn't hold a decent charge so I bought a new one. Then there was the 30 Amp fuse burned out so I replaced that. Stilll no slide or motor noise. Next I got a new switch and tried that. By this time only thing left is the motor. I watched a dozen or so u-tubes on Slides and proceded to remove the trim and the 3/4 inch backer board over the top of the Slide out. I took it all off and there was nothing there!! i just happened to be near fed up and it was 105 outside with of course no A/C. I just laid down on the floor to relax a moment and there at the back of the slide in the middle is the damn motor!!! Of course there was no 1/4 hex drive tool so I got my own and hoked to a drill and used that to open the slide. I removed the motor and tested it with battery charger and it works perfectly. Now I'm at a loss! What next if the motor runs great but the slide won't budge, WHAT NEXT? I did also check if the wires to the motor were getting power and I don't think so. but I could have the switch wired wrong. Of course there is no wiring diagram. HELP!!
retired tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired tanker View Post
I have the same problem with my 2018 Coleman (Dutchman) small camper 1605FB. The slide quit after only about the 3rd short weekend trip. Glad it wouldn't open as It poured rain the whole two nights. I got it home and first checked the battery and it wouldn't hold a decent charge so I bought a new one. Then there was the 30 Amp fuse burned out so I replaced that. Stilll no slide or motor noise. Next I got a new switch and tried that. By this time only thing left is the motor. I watched a dozen or so u-tubes on Slides and proceded to remove the trim and the 3/4 inch backer board over the top of the Slide out. I took it all off and there was nothing there!! i just happened to be near fed up and it was 105 outside with of course no A/C. I just laid down on the floor to relax a moment and there at the back of the slide in the middle is the damn motor!!! Of course there was no 1/4 hex drive tool so I got my own and hoked to a drill and used that to open the slide. I removed the motor and tested it with battery charger and it works perfectly. Now I'm at a loss! What next if the motor runs great but the slide won't budge, WHAT NEXT? I did also check if the wires to the motor were getting power and I don't think so. but I could have the switch wired wrong. Of course there is no wiring diagram. HELP!!

Can you put a multi-meter on the motor wires and have someone push the slide button? If working and you guess correctly you should get positive voltage and if reversed then you will get negative. Because you were able to use your drill it tells me that your gearbox is likely okay but maybe the gearbox is slightly screwed up and your drill has more torque than the motor does—but I doubt that is the case.

My guess is wiring has a short or open, such as a bad ground somewhere. It is amazing how they will attach grounds to painted metal sometimes so that your only contact is the screw threads themselves.

The other thing to try is reinstall the motor but don’t attach the wires and see if you can then run the motor in place with your battery charger. If it runs smoothly then although frustrating it is actually good news because you don’t have to reengineer your slide itself or replace rollers—you just have to figure out how to get power to your motor!

Good luck—you can fix this!
Old 08-31-2020, 05:15 AM   #11

New Mexico
I tried the V-meter to the moter wires and switch but nothing. I am thinking it is either the short somewhere or a fuse inline I don't know about. One other- the chains that go around are very tight, with no slack. Vidios say should have some play or if to tight could cause stress on motor. Poss- the motor won't turn as chains are tight//motor works ok with no load but when engaged no go??

retired tanker is offline   Reply With Quote