Aspen Trail 2340bhswe easy door mods - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #1

Montana
Aspen Trail 2340bhswe easy door mods

The latest models of this unit have great storage underneath the sink...except...they don't give you access. There is a door under the sink but you cannot get to the storage three feet back under the drawer by the outside door. So, I did two easy modifications. The first was to create a second level storage by simply cutting particle board to shape going back to the drawer and using dowels to create a second level. Total cost less than 15 bucks. If you have a saw (preferably powered) and wood screws you can do it. It is interesting to note that in earlier modes 2018 I believe they had a door in the place I put one... Why they took it out I do not know.

Second was to add a full size door next to the drawer on the back of the sink area. This will provide access to most of the area under the sink. The difficult part of this is to ensure that you have support structures behind any addition of this type. You either have to build it using 1 X 3 (recommended) wood support or use the existing support structure either inside or outside of the countertop.

The EASY way is to simply remove the luan panel that is stapled into the big square next to the drawer in the 2020/21 models. This can be done so that you do not damage it if done carefully. I went in with a needle nose pliers and pulled the easy staples that stuck out. This reduced the holding power of the remaining staples. Then I gently used a rubber mallet, my forearm and a small piece of 2 X 4 to push the luan piece back and loose from the remaining staples. This approach "saves the luan piece and can allow you to put it back if necessary or use it elsewhere if you decide on other mods.

Using the OEM door under the sink as a template cut a 1 X panel to size. I got a "project panel" from Lowes for less than 20 bucks. The same type of hardware can also be purchased at either Lowes, HD or Ace Hardware. Amazon has the long pulls I purchased. I was able to use these to also create towel holders for under the sink on the door and on the bathroom undersink door. You can get 10 of these pull handles for about 30 bucks on Amazon. They are great multi-purpose handles AND match the other pull hardware exactly. I also bought a cabinet hardware alignment tool 28 bucks but am intending to do a kitchen remodel in the house. You can do it without that but cussing will be involved and measure 14 times.

I put in three hinges (self closing) and used the same latch type as the template door under the sink. I found a loose piece of the trim and took it to Sherwin Williams and they matched it perfectly (quart) (sans the little black lines) in the existing finish.

All in all, I have less than 100 bucks in this with no structural changes needed under the sink. I did add a 3/4 X 3/4 piece in the corner but did not really need it. But in seeing how it was built at the factory, they had busted the original support 3/4 X 3/4 piece in three places with EACH screw they put in and to a degree, it was the screws holding the support structure together under the sink... When you do this job you will see the hidden "quality" or lack therof of the under structures... To be honest, scary. Any water would collapse the understructure under the sink quickly as they use cheap wood and too big of screws OR staples to hold it all together... I've purchased higher quality clear poplar for future mods.

As you look at the pics, you can see the side of the dinette seat and storage area. You can do this mod with doors there very easily as the square structure you can see provides all you need. Another Luan panel will bite the dust. And I also and I intend to do that one next...

So, here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_161437 (1).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	6838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Mod 1 (2).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	6839   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_121653.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	6840   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_125659.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	6841  

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:59 PM   #2

Illinois
Very nice

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #3

Montana
Quick update: We now have about 18 nights total this year and this door has been worth its weight in gold for access...along with the simple two level shelf.

I also built the hole for a door under the bed but the wife decided to start bringing the cat so I split the space in half and she said leave the hole open and put the box and her litter in there all sitting on one of the 3.99 moving pads. It's perfect if you take a cat. It is designed so I can put a door on in about a half hour or so. I will do the same for the other side for the door but we access it so little, I may hold off on that. Oh, I was skeptical of the cat coming...very... She has been a pleasant surprise. She loves camping. She has a cage in the back seat of the truck with a small box food etc. She doesn't even use the box in the car...except when desperate then its clean. She hangs around the trailer and acts like she owns it... I'm frankly a bit amazed...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote