Water heater switch, 2021 Cub - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2023, 02:48 AM   #1

Colorado
Water heater switch, 2021 Cub

I cannot get hot water in the 2021 kodiak cub. Propane water heater only and everything says it's a 12v igniter switch inside the camper. It's not on the panel. The circuit breaker doesn't solve it. I see no switch anywhere. Heater is full, gas is full and in lines.
Where's the switch??

dpreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Please post make and model of water heater for better advice.
You should be able to find the make and model inside the outer water heater door.
Post a picture with the outside water heater door open.

There are gas only water heaters, but they may be less frequent. There are two types. An older design uses a pilot light.

A newer one uses a 12 volt electric supply for operating controls and an electric igniter. There is usually a remote switch for these. The switch may be inside the pass through or even behind a panel in the pass through. Search for a 12 volt supply near the water heater. Mine is on the tank level control panel inside the cabin.

If there are no electrical control switches, it may be a pilot light type. Follow instructions for lighting the pilot light.

The sequence for lighting a 12 volt system is:
Switch "on"
Gas valve opens. You can hear a click.
Igniter sparks. You can hear rapid clicks.
Flame signals burner is working.
Igniter stops clicking.
Burner runs until temperature sensor switches it off.

If heat is not detected, it will close gas valve, wait a moment and try again.

Lock out occurs after three failed attempts to light. Turn switch "off" and back "on" to reset.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:52 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Please post make and model of water heater for better advice.
You should be able to find the make and model inside the outer water heater door.
Post a picture with the outside water heater door open.

There are gas only water heaters, but they may be less frequent. There are two types. An older design uses a pilot light.

A newer one uses a 12 volt electric supply for operating controls and an electric igniter. There is usually a remote switch for these. The switch may be inside the pass through or even behind a panel in the pass through. Search for a 12 volt supply near the water heater. Mine is on the tank level control panel inside the cabin.

If there are no electrical control switches, it may be a pilot light type. Follow instructions for lighting the pilot light.

The sequence for lighting a 12 volt system is:
Switch "on"
Gas valve opens. You can hear a click.
Igniter sparks. You can hear rapid clicks.
Flame signals burner is working.
Igniter stops clicking.
Burner runs until temperature sensor switches it off.

If heat is not detected, it will close gas valve, wait a moment and try again.

Lock out occurs after three failed attempts to light. Turn switch "off" and back "on" to reset.
Thank you for the reply!
I dropped the unit at storage after our short trip and didn't check the model. I'll go back tomorrow. No switch in the pass thru.... the instructions on the door make no mention of pilot light, so strike that (pun intended). Thanks. Ill do some more checking.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:20 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreynolds View Post
Thank you for the reply!
I dropped the unit at storage after our short trip and didn't check the model. I'll go back tomorrow. No switch in the pass thru.... the instructions on the door make no mention of pilot light, so strike that (pun intended). Thanks. Ill do some more checking.
Does your heater have an electric element? Model of heater would be great....
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 12:39 AM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Does your heater have an electric element? Model of heater would be great....
According to the schematic, it does. I thought I answered and uploaded pictures but i see nothing is there.
So attached :
The hot water heater.
the model number
the schematic.

I called Dutchmen and they told me the 2 places where the switch will be...it's not in either. ?

Going to a main dealer tomorrow. Camper dealer.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230725_50k.jpg (39.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:53 AM   #6

Wisconsin
Installation and Operating Manual
https://epi.dometic.com/externalasse...4379_81175.pdf

WH-6GEA
6 gallon
Gas
Electric

12 volt controls
120 volt electric heat
gas heat

The water heater should have a 12 volt power control switch inside the RV. It will have a small indicator light that lights when "ON". It should have a lock out indicator that will light if the burner fails to light.

The internal switch may be two single switches or one double switch.

See pg 10 for typical 12 volt control switch. Check for blown fuse on that 12 volt circuit.

The standard water heater has a normal 120 volt plug, so there should be a 120 volt AC outlet within a foot of the water heater. Check main circuit breaker panel for tripped circuit breaker on the 120 volt line. Check plug is secure in 120 volt outlet.
Old 07-27-2023, 01:54 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Is there a “fault” light on the control panel? You may have a loose wire?
mrogers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:24 PM   #8

Nevada
Water heater

If you have on your panel a switch that simply says “electric” that is your power to your water heater. I was mystified about this issue when I got my 2018 Cub. Others have way more info than me, but sometimes something simple is overlooked. Good luck!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:25 PM   #9

Colorado
Water heater switch, 2021 Cub

The big mystery about the switch from the original question is that it was the gas/electric switches on the main panel that i was using in the beginning as I thought anyway. The manufacturer saying there was definitely a switch labeled DSI on the panel or by the bathroom was not a fact. So, in the beginning I was using the correct switches but the directions on the door are misleading when talking about a remote switch and a light that comes on and goes out, etc.
I already had checked the circuit breaker, the 2 amp fuse on the circuit panel on the water heater, the main wall plug that water heater is plugged into behind the bathroom wall, and all of the fuses on the fuse panel.

Last thing I can check is this wire with a possible burn, with a fuse/diode thing in it (circled)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230725_50k_42.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	7597  
Old 08-01-2023, 12:58 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Your writing is not clear. What exactly is the problem?

Do you mean you can't find the switches or the lights?

Most likely there are two switches inside each with an LED light. The lights light up when the switches are "ON".

One is labeled "DSI". The DSI light is a fault light. It lights when the gas system tries and fails to light. In this case it can be reset by tuning the "gas" switch "OFF" and back "ON".

Take a picture of the switches on the control panel and post it in this thread for better explanation.

Do you mean the water heater does not work using 120 volt shore power?

For the water heater to heat with electric, the control panel switch marked "Electric" or the "lightning bolt" must be "ON". The branch circuit breaker in the main circuit breaker panel must also be "ON".

Do you mean the water heater does not work using gas?

For gas heat, the control switch marked "gas" or with a picture of a flame must be "ON". If the water heater tries to light and fails, the light marked DSI will light. See page 14 of the referenced manual for specific operating instructions.

Do you mean that you understand all the switches and lights, but the water heater does not work?

There is an E.C.O. device you have circled in the picture you posted and on page 15 of the manual. That device will lock out the water heater if over temperature is detected. Over temperature can occur due to different causes.

If the burner tube or the heat exchange tube is blocked over temperature may occur. Check for obstructed passage ways. Even a spider web in the burner tube can cause back flash and over temperature.

If the E.C.O. device is burned, correct the obstruction in the tubes and replace the E.C.O. device. See page 16 in the manual.

Please be more direct in explaining the problem for better advice.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:19 AM   #11

Wisconsin
Here is what the panel looks like in my 2018 Kodiak Cub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2562.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	7598