Possible new owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #1

Wisconsin
Possible new owner

Hey all. So im new to the group and don't even own a camper, never have yet but we're in the market for one so figured I'd start here.

I got a f250 so I don't really need a ultra light but we're considering going with a 227bh for me, the girlfriend and our 2 kids. Looking for advice and anything to look for when at the dealer involving this camper or maybe a different brand with a similar layout.

Also wouldn't mind hearing from you guys as to why u went with dutchmen vs some of the other brands out there as well.

Thanks in advance, david

Dalden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Kodiak 227bh ultralite
Dry Weight 4,429 lbs.
Payload Capacity 3,172 lbs.
Hitch Weight 497 lbs.

The Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight is 4400 + 3200 = 7600 pounds.
Each individual Travel Trailer has a federally mandated weight sticker. It will be on the front driver's side of the TT. Get the MGVW from that sticker if you can. For planning purposes you should use the 7600 pounds MGVW because most TT's on the road today are at or near their MGVW. Actual weight is what matters, but you don't have that yet.

Your tow vehicle also has a federally mandated weight sticker and a tire max sticker in the driver's door frame. Again, it is for that individual TV. You must not exceed those maximums for safe operation.

Cargo Maximum is important. Subtract everything added to the tow vehicle since it left the factory. That could be bed liner, trailer hitch, passengers, luggage, and equipment. What is left is available for TT tongue weight.

The published tongue weight is 500 pounds. That is advisory only. The actual tongue weight may be more than double the published value. Both of my TT's were more than double when loaded. You need at least 10% of actual trailer weight on the tongue for safety. 15% will be more stable.

I expect the 227bh will be a significant load for your 250.

Check out the following thread for quality TT Brands. I chose my Kodiak TT because I did not know how bad many Kodiak's are.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...iler-7369.html

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

Florida
Spend the time and look at a lot of them get what fits for your family. you have an F250 I would also look at the fifth wheels easier to pull. It doesn’t need to be 35/40 ft to be nice and roomy I have had a few of both make sure it’s right before you pick it up. Check the AC make sure it’s not too noisy for you and your family you’re making a great start checking on this list. All our best from Florida
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #4

California
@OP, they all have issues for the most part. Suggest you read and research all the brands out there on various owner forums.

I would suggest a very through pre delivery inspection (PDI) before you take delivery and do not accept it until it is all working. The warranty clock starts ticking when you take delivery so if the dealer says, “don’t worry about that little thing just bring it back and we will take care of it after your first outing” then you could be 3 or 4 months into your 12 month warranty before you get to use it again and notice all the other stuff that needs fixing. RV ownership is fun and frustrating (sometimes maddening). So be ready.

Remember that dealer wants the sale and they will say some crazy things like “don’t worry your tow vehicle will handle it fine” when they can be clueless or outright lying.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2020, 10:44 PM   #5

Washington
My opinion. Years ago, 1990's, we had a Dutchman which was great. This year bought a new Kodiak which is a great example of a lack of pride in workmanship. In the process of making repairs and upgrades we found wood shavings and other crap in cabinets and under the floor, that should have been cleaned up before leaving the factory. The unit came "prewired" for a rear camera; only issue was that instead of running a wire to the batteries it was just wired into the three clearance lights which would require that the headlights be turned on to use it, just the cheapest way to do it with no thought as to how to do it right. I rewired ours to access the batter with a switch to turn it on. The handles have come off the cabinets because the threads in the handles was stripped due to using a power tool to install the screws, screws are not stripped. Closing latches on drawers were not correctly installed so the drawers come open when moving, two of the drawers have had the front panels damaged due to their rubbing on the steps which fold into the interior of the trailer. The unit was delivered with the crank handle in the shower fan on the floor, also stripped threads. Our last trailer was a 2018 Forest River which showed real pride in workmanship, wish we had gone that route rather than the Dutchmen. The Dutchmen does not come with an inverter as many other manufacturers are now including so do your homework, read as many reviews as possible and ask specific questions on this and other forums before plunking down a lot of cash. One more thing is to insist the dealer install a good deep cycle RV battery of at least 100ah, the usual batteries installed by dealers are small 50-70ah starter batteries which will basically just run the lights and nothing else; if you can afford them go with a lithium as it will be cheaper in the long run.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:55 PM   #6

Washington
A second thought: As to a tow vehicle and trailer weights, research information on loading weights, it is very easy to overload the trailer and tow vehicle which has the potential to cause an accident. The axel and tire load information is also important to know as both can also cause handling problems and crashes. Don't scrimp on the weight distribution hitch, get the right one for your tow vehicle and trailer, new ones incorporate anti-sway in their design to eliminate the need to purchase a separate sway bar.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #7

Arizona
Honestly,, we bought ours thinking we would go all the time, take the grandkids etc,, we do not,, 6 yo is just to wild to enjoy camping with and the 9 yo moved to Washington, we used it for a few months three years ago, and a weekend trip the year after that,, we go Hotel camping when time permits, ( 100 a night with dog) , was the biggest waste of 40 K in my mind,, hopefully life changes down the road, but for now,, I am still paying the monthly to look pretty in my driveway,, Just my two cents... good luck in what ever you decide ( in reality I wanted a summer place in CT, but wife talked me into the travel version,, )
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #8

Arizona
I saw a Kodiak QB 200 and loved the look. I didnt know much about quality but I do now. Wished I would have looked more. I was needing a light weight trailer that had what I wanted inside. Outside looked great until the delamination's started. Wish I had gone with aluminum exterior. Only five years old and kept covered but I am looking at expensive repairs.
steve weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:15 AM   #9

Maryland
You have to run the numbers. Having an F250 isn’t enough information. You can never have too much truck when towing. More importantly,when stopping.

You will probably want to take along more than you realize. Kids,kids stuff,camp chairs,clothes for any weather changes,sports and recreation and all the necessaries,water and sewer hoses,leveling blocks. So give yourself enough wiggle room on weight.

We got our Dutchman Denali used. More trailer for less money. In very good condition. And all the manufacturing bugs have been worked out. You don’t want your camper to spend the first year at the dealer,waiting for repairs. And it’s common for people to realize their first camper is not the best fit.

Good luck.

Pugapooh is offline   Reply With Quote