Buying a Travel Trailer - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Wisconsin
Thumbs up Buying a Travel Trailer

Quality Travel Trailer Brands
Last winter (2018) I joined this Dutchmen Owners forum and expressed my disappointment with my new Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. My opinion of Dutchmen travel trailers has not improved since then. I still have one required project left to finish on my Cub. My plan is to keep it and continue to use it because all the modifications and repairs have brought it up to my minimum standards. Total cost of ownership has not been lower than much higher priced trailers.
Yesterday I found a thread on a different forum started by a new member who wanted advice on what to buy for his first travel trailer. What followed was a compilation of 1000’s of camper hours of experience and a list of brands from owners with firsthand experience. Needless to say Dutchmen and many other Thor companies were specifically not recommended. Their only advantage is low purchase price. Jayco is now a Thor company and the last 2? model years are also specifically not recommended. A short list of recommended brands and brief comments follow. I wish I had this information before buying.
Artic Fox
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi
$25k to $50k thermal pane windows
Hamersville Ohio (Cincinnati)
Outdoor RV
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi , $25k to $50k
Thermal pane windows, dealer in Denver.
Cooler in sun, Excellent support
Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV Creekside or Timber Ridge.
2018 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700
Air Stream
Recent corrosion problem
Grand Design
Insulated well
Winnebago
Was Sunnybrook
Grand Design
One bad review
Elite Suites
Lance
Newell
TIFFIN
Excellent service
Nash

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #2

Oklahoma
What is difficult to understand is with all your improvements the TT is up to your minimum standards. That begs the question as to why you bought it in the first place if it was so inferior.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

Wisconsin
I bought it because the company supplied specifications met my requirements. Close visual inspection did not reveal its true condition. Also, many problems were not visible and did not become evident until after I started using it. I was not able find good advice like the thread I summarized above or like the Dutchmen Owner forum.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #4

Florida
At present we have a Coleman,because #1 price,#2 model/size, #3 finally our age. We won’t expect 15 years use so we really don’t care about reliability. So everyone has a reason.
We had a 30’ Artic Fox 13 years. We loved it, the features,the reliability, stability,insulation.
But it was too big for us. So Artic Fox would be our choice for a younger couples, a first pick.
Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #5

Oklahoma
If I had it to do over again I would spend the money I have in my TT on a boat or an airplane.... that way I would have known what I was getting into as far as a money pit.... just sayin....
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I bought it because the company supplied specifications met my requirements. Close visual inspection did not reveal its true condition. Also, many problems were not visible and did not become evident until after I started using it. I was not able find good advice like the thread I summarized above or like the Dutchmen Owner forum.
I went from a 2012 Coleman travel trailer to a 2018 grand design reflection 303RLS fifth wheel and will never return to any Thor product. I knowExactly what you’re talking about. The Coleman reeked of formaldehyde. The grand design still smells like a new car even after a full summer of camping. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about Grand Design
2012Colman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #7

Arizona
well if I had it to do over again, I sure would not have bought any TT,, I can visit my grand daughter in Washington for a couple of weeks of a hotel and buy a cottage in CT to spend the summer for what I paid for my TT.. We started out with the idea to explore the US, but it is too much driving and bad roads for my taste ( we did 10 k miles last year. was an Impulse buy.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

North Carolina
I first started RV-ing in 1987. I have pretty much had at least one of each for the different types of RVs.

I would argue that there just is no perfect. One man's trash is another man's treasure. In the RV world one must consider their budget and what they have discovered is the thing that blows their proverbial skirt up. Also, maintenance just never ends. But, life is short and will run out on you..all of the sudden like.

I would thus argue that we have to live within the context of what actually is, and somehow try to be happy in that. I think I have that part, as it relates to RV's figured out. But, find the one that fits your budget and you like, don't over attach to it, enjoy it, and move forward. It will eventually go to seed.
falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #9

Florida
Or buy a Tiffin and be as happy with your purchase as we are.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:16 AM   #10

Ohio
Poor Dutchmen quality

My first Dutchmen was a Rubicon tow behind. Had a ton of problems that I fixed. I bought another Dutchmen because I liked the chassis and layout, a Triton 2951. The build quality was even worse. For example, every window was installed incorrectly and leaked. No help from the dealer or Dutchmen. After two years, I have fixed everything and now have the 5er that I wanted.

I won't buy another Dutchmen.

Leisure Solar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, buying, recommended