Suggestions? East to West - Northerly Route - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Suggestions? East to West - Northerly Route

Hello all - I have recently decided to take a 6 month sabbatical from work and the wife and I are taking the camper out for a minimum of 2 months. Looking to leave the east coast (Virginia) and make our way to California via the northerly route. We will be visiting Devil's Tower, Rushmore, YellowStone (south), and the Grand Tetons on the way out to Cali (trying to stay just south of the coldest weather). We anticipate being in SoCal visiting the parents in early November, then heading back to VA following the southern route.

I am looking for suggestions from the community on other "must see" locations on the trip.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
__________________

__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cody
Posts: 1,742
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkichi View Post
...Looking to leave the east coast (Virginia) and make our way to California via the northerly route. We will be visiting Devil's Tower, Rushmore, YellowStone (south), and the Grand Tetons on the way out to Cali (trying to stay just south of the coldest weather). We anticipate being in SoCal visiting the parents in early November..
Wow, umm... I wouldn't plan on Yellowstone, or possibly even Grand Teton that late in the year.

All roads into Yellowstone will probably close for the winter at some point in October... and the same for the Tetons a week or so later. The "posted date" for closure is always November 1st... but for the past 3 years, it's always ended up closing sooner than that because of weather. And even if the roads are open, you can expect a lot of snow & ice on them, and in the surrounding areas.

Not sure if you realize it, but... although it's 70 degrees here in northwestern Wyoming today, we've already had our first snow of the season a few days ago. October weather up here at altitude in the northern rockies can be quite unpredictable from late September thru October. As soon as you depart Cody to go into the park from the east (the north & northeast entrances are still closed from the floods earlier this year), you begin climbing from an altitude of 5,000' or so up to 6,500' to the park entrance... then once intrude the park, an immediate climb to 8,500 just to get up & over Sylvan Pass.

If you'd made these plans for about a month earlier, I could've given you lots of suggestions west of Devil's Tower. But I'm afraid you've waited just a tad too late for many of them. That's not to say that some of them might be available for a day or 2, but I sure wouldn't plan a trip on it. That'd really be "rolling the dice".

That said... it might help if you can narrow the time-frame a bit. When do you anticipate departing the Dakotas & Devil's Tower area?
__________________

__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Wow, umm... I wouldn't plan on Yellowstone, or possibly even Grand Teton that late in the year.

All roads into Yellowstone will close for the winter in early October... and the same for the Tetons a week or so later. Not sure if you realize it, but... although it's 70 degrees here in northwestern Wyoming today, we've already had our first snow of the season a few days ago. October weather up here at altitude in the northern rockies can be quite unpredictable from late September thru October.

If you'd made these plans for about a month earlier, I could've given you lots of suggestions west of Devil's Tower. But I'm afraid you've waited just a tad too late for most of them. That's not to say that some of them might be available for a day or 2, but I sure wouldn't plan a trip on it. That'd really be "rolling the dice".
I figured that I may be a little late in the season, but definitely have to do Rushmore for the wife. Since it is a La Nina year I am hoping that most of the worst weather will be a little further north this early in the season, but your point is taken.
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cody
Posts: 1,742
Wyoming
I went back & edited my initial post a bit since your t reply… but I did wanna mention one other thing that I didn’t think of until just now.

Not sure if you’re making campground reservations ahead of time, or not… but regardless, you may wanna do some research and have a plan B available, if needed.

The reason I bring this up is, many (if not most) of the campgrounds in the northern states close down for the season on October 1st (sometimes the 15th) once the tourism season ends… and the ones that are “technically open” are often filled with permanent residents, or long-term oil field workers. So just make sure you’re gonna have a place to stay!
__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I went back & edited my initial post a bit since your t reply… but I did wanna mention one other thing that I didn’t think of until just now.

Not sure if you’re making campground reservations ahead of time, or not… but regardless, you may wanna do some research and have a plan B available, if needed.

The reason I bring this up is, many (if not most) of the campgrounds in the northern states close down for the season on October 1st (sometimes the 15th) once the tourism season ends… and the ones that are “technically open” are often filled with permanent residents, or long-term oil field workers. So just make sure you’re gonna have a place to stay!
Thanks for the advice and the edit to your original response. We are looking at leaving VA around the 7th of October and expect to take a few days to get to Rushmore and Devil's Tower. If weather and closures dictate, we can speed up our travels in the north and then just take more time lollygagging in CA and the south. I suppose I need to start locking down a few sites to stay at. My plan was to only reserve 2 camp sites ahead of our current location in travel so that we had flexibility in changes without causing a catastrophic cascade of reservation changes when something inevitably throws us off schedule.
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cody
Posts: 1,742
Wyoming
Ok, in re campgrounds, I’d think you should be good until you reach the Dakotas…. unless you also plan on heading up & around the oven mitt into the UP of Michigan. Then I’d do some checking. But other than the Rushmore / Rapid City area, I’d definitely check to make sure what options are open.

Ok so, if you’re on your way to Rushmore via I-90 from the east, you’ll begin seeing the signs for Wall Drug. If you’re familiar with “South of the Border” on I-95 at the NC/SC line, it’s kinda the same thing except it’s not all run down. It’s a thriving place that nearly everyone stops at lease once, with the assortment of gift shops, restaurant, etc. Just one of those places to say “Yeah, I’ve been there”.

Just south of Wall Drug is Badlands National Park. A nice place to visit, with some VERY unusual landscape. You can drive thru the main road of the park in about 90 minutes, even taking time for a few photo stops here & there.

While you’re visiting Rushmore, take a day or 3 to linger around, and also visit the Crazy Horse Memorial nearby. Also, you’ll wanna take a nice drive thru Custer State Park, and the Black Hills National Forest. Beautiful area, and… although I’ve never been there at this time of year, chances are that’s where you’ll first see herds of bison (buffalo) out here in the west.

Departing the Rushmore area on I-90, you’ll pass by the towns of Sturgess & Deadwood before you leave the state… and after crossing the state line into Wyoming, the first town of any significance you’ll pass by is Sundance. It’s claim to fame is the place where the “Sundance Kid” began his life of crime. It’s also the the place where you’ll exit the interstate, and make the 25-mile trip to Devil’s Tower. (BTW, the Devil’s Tower KOA is an excellent place to stay, and is where the movie “Close Encounters…” was filmed)

At this time of year, I don’t think you’ll wanna head any further north… but if you do, and you’re into history, the old Fort Union site is a couple hours north on the Montana/North Dakota state line, near where the Yellowstone River flows into the Missouri River. This is where John Jacob Astor set up the fur-trading outpost that make him rich back in 1828.

If you don’t head north, and if you continue west on I-90 after Devil’s Tower… there isn’t really very much in the way of scenery for the next 120 miles or so. Just a lot of rolling flatlands until you reach the eastern slope of the Bighorn mountain range. This is the first little “teaser” range before you reach the front slope of the Rockies proper. But don’t let that word “teaser” fool you… these mountains rise up over 13,000 feet, and are absolutely beautiful.

Before you get there though, you’ll intersect with I-25 where it ends and joins I-90 heading north… and here’s where you’ll be wanting to check the weather, and make you travel decisions.

If it looks decent for the time you’re here… then you’ve got some options. Again, if you like history… Little Bighorn Battlefield, the site of Custer’s last stand is about 100 miles north up I-90 in Montana. And the 2 passes over Bighorns themselves have spectacular scenery. The 2 main towns are Buffalo to the south (where I-25 joins I-90), and Sheridan to the north. Both towns are full of old west charm, with historic hotels, restaurants, and bars… and plenty of places to stay.

And if you’re going to continue west to Yellowstone, crossing the Bighorns is also your shortest option. But take note:

I mentioned the 2 passes over the range up above. In bad weather, I WOULD NOT recommend you tow an RV over either of them. Both passes have road grades of at least 6%, with tight mountainside turns & a few switchbacks. (more about bad-weather options later)

But even in good weather, I would also recommend that you NOT tow an RV over the northern pass (US-14). Although the most scenic, it also is the most treacherous… with one section on the western descent known as the OH MY GOD hill. At the top, the road splits into 2 different routes (US-14 and US-14A)… but both of them have VERY steep descents with 7-10% grades. One section descends 3,600 feet in 10 miles… the other drops 4,600 in 18 miles.

What I’m trying to say is, although I usually pull a heavy 5th wheel toyhauler… I wouldn’t even tow an RV like yours down that road with my F-450 dually, let alone an Expedition.

So if you’re gonna tow your rig across, take the southern pass… US-16. It’s got a few places with sharp switchbacks, and steep grades too (both uphill & down)… but they are’t nearly as severe as those on the northern pass.

Ok, back to bad weather options. If you still wanna try for Yellowstone, but opt to not tow across the Bighorns… you’ve only got 2 options:

- Head north on I-90 to Billings, MT, and then turn south towards Cody, WY… or…
- Head south on I-25 down to Casper, WY, and then turn west.

Either way is going to add about 4 hours to your driving time, but will be much safer. And of course, if it’s cold & snowing up in Montana, you’ll only have the southern route to Casper as an option.

From Billings, you’r only option into Yellowstone will be via Cody, WY and the East Entrance. The Northeast Entrance to Yellowstone has been closed since early June when the flood washed out all of the roads up there. Otherwise, the best way in would’ve been via one of the most famous & scenic roads in the US… the Beartooth Highway that runs from Red Lodge, MT, then through Cooke City, and to the Northeast Entrance. But again, that’s not an option this year.

But if you turn south at the Bighorns, and head towards Casper… well, now you have a couple of different options available to you for getting to Yellowstone. The first is to head west out of Casper to the town of Shoshoni, and then turn north towards Cody. This will take you through the beautiful Wind River Canyon, and also right by the famous hot springs in Thermopolis. Just before you get to Cody, you’ll even pass by Kanye’s ranch that he’s pretty much abandoned after he & Kim parted ways. Haha

Coming through Cody… well, it’s the town that “Buffalo Bill” Cody founded, and his name’s on just about everything. That said, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West is definitely worth a stop. 5 different museums that tell the story of the old west… including the country’s most famous firearm’s resource, if you’re into that sort of thing. Anyway… the East Entrance to Yellowstone is about an hour west of Cody… and from the park, you can exit via the South Entrance to Grand Teton Nat’l Park.

The 2nd option is to continue west at Shoshoni, skirt the Wind River Reservation to the south, and head directly towards Grand Teton… and from Teton, north into Yellowstone is you wanna try it that way.

You’ll again have a chance to check weather at a few towns along the way before you get there… as it’s a good 250 miles from Casper to the northern end of Grant Teton. But your last chance to avoid the area completely will be in Riverton. After that, the elevation rises steeply, and there’s only one road in & out of there.

Ok, I’ve rambled on enough and have probably bored the hell out of you by now. And I don’t mean to be condescending by any means. But I just can’t stress enough how wacky the weather can be out here this time of year, and how quickly it can change. I’m from Virginia myself, and my sons are still living & working there (Alexandria & Norfolk)… and these aren’t the “molehills” of the Blue Ridge & the Smokies. It can be gorgeous one day, sunny & warm.. and whiteout conditions the next. You just never know.
__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Beaver Dam
Posts: 766
Wisconsin
On your way west from Virginia, some of the best camping weather remains in the flat lands. There are endless state parks. Check them out on the internet.

Southern Wisconsin is great that time of year.
Kohler-Andrea is on western shore of Lake Michigan. It has Hiking and biking good for 3 to 5 days.
Devils Lake State Park is in the middle of Wisconsin. Excellent dramatic hiking good for 3 to 5 days. It is on the way to Mt. Rushmore.
Wyalusing State Park at the confluence of the Wisconsin River and the Mississippi River. Hiking the bluffs and meadows is good for 3 to 5 days. Driving park roads provides stunning views. Some access may be limited late in the month of October as the water may be off and winding roads closed. There is a county park across the Mississippi in Minnesota with camping and excellent views.
Indian Mounds National Monument is also across the river.

Reservations are required in early October. Some "first come, first serve" sites later.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/findapark
__________________
Paul Bristol
Dutchman Kodiak Cub KD176RD 2018
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:26 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ok, in re campgrounds, I’d think you should be good until you reach the Dakotas…. unless you also plan on heading up & around the oven mitt into the UP of Michigan. Then I’d do some checking. But other than the Rushmore / Rapid City area, I’d definitely check to make sure what options are open.

Ok so, if you’re on your way to Rushmore via I-90 from the east, you’ll begin seeing the signs for Wall Drug. If you’re familiar with “South of the Border” on I-95 at the NC/SC line, it’s kinda the same thing except it’s not all run down. It’s a thriving place that nearly everyone stops at lease once, with the assortment of gift shops, restaurant, etc. Just one of those places to say “Yeah, I’ve been there”.

Just south of Wall Drug is Badlands National Park. A nice place to visit, with some VERY unusual landscape. You can drive thru the main road of the park in about 90 minutes, even taking time for a few photo stops here & there.

While you’re visiting Rushmore, take a day or 3 to linger around, and also visit the Crazy Horse Memorial nearby. Also, you’ll wanna take a nice drive thru Custer State Park, and the Black Hills National Forest. Beautiful area, and… although I’ve never been there at this time of year, chances are that’s where you’ll first see herds of bison (buffalo) out here in the west.

Departing the Rushmore area on I-90, you’ll pass by the towns of Sturgess & Deadwood before you leave the state… and after crossing the state line into Wyoming, the first town of any significance you’ll pass by is Sundance. It’s claim to fame is the place where the “Sundance Kid” began his life of crime. It’s also the the place where you’ll exit the interstate, and make the 25-mile trip to Devil’s Tower. (BTW, the Devil’s Tower KOA is an excellent place to stay, and is where the movie “Close Encounters…” was filmed)

At this time of year, I don’t think you’ll wanna head any further north… but if you do, and you’re into history, the old Fort Union site is a couple hours north on the Montana/North Dakota state line, near where the Yellowstone River flows into the Missouri River. This is where John Jacob Astor set up the fur-trading outpost that make him rich back in 1828.

If you don’t head north, and if you continue west on I-90 after Devil’s Tower… there isn’t really very much in the way of scenery for the next 120 miles or so. Just a lot of rolling flatlands until you reach the eastern slope of the Bighorn mountain range. This is the first little “teaser” range before you reach the front slope of the Rockies proper. But don’t let that word “teaser” fool you… these mountains rise up over 13,000 feet, and are absolutely beautiful.

Before you get there though, you’ll intersect with I-25 where it ends and joins I-90 heading north… and here’s where you’ll be wanting to check the weather, and make you travel decisions.

If it looks decent for the time you’re here… then you’ve got some options. Again, if you like history… Little Bighorn Battlefield, the site of Custer’s last stand is about 100 miles north up I-90 in Montana. And the 2 passes over Bighorns themselves have spectacular scenery. The 2 main towns are Buffalo to the south (where I-25 joins I-90), and Sheridan to the north. Both towns are full of old west charm, with historic hotels, restaurants, and bars… and plenty of places to stay.

And if you’re going to continue west to Yellowstone, crossing the Bighorns is also your shortest option. But take note:

I mentioned the 2 passes over the range up above. In bad weather, I WOULD NOT recommend you tow an RV over either of them. Both passes have road grades of at least 6%, with tight mountainside turns & a few switchbacks. (more about bad-weather options later)

But even in good weather, I would also recommend that you NOT tow an RV over the northern pass (US-14). Although the most scenic, it also is the most treacherous… with one section on the western descent known as the OH MY GOD hill. At the top, the road splits into 2 different routes (US-14 and US-14A)… but both of them have VERY steep descents with 7-10% grades. One section descends 3,600 feet in 10 miles… the other drops 4,600 in 18 miles.

What I’m trying to say is, although I usually pull a heavy 5th wheel toyhauler… I wouldn’t even tow an RV like yours down that road with my F-450 dually, let alone an Expedition.

So if you’re gonna tow your rig across, take the southern pass… US-16. It’s got a few places with sharp switchbacks, and steep grades too (both uphill & down)… but they are’t nearly as severe as those on the northern pass.

Ok, back to bad weather options. If you still wanna try for Yellowstone, but opt to not tow across the Bighorns… you’ve only got 2 options:

- Head north on I-90 to Billings, MT, and then turn south towards Cody, WY… or…
- Head south on I-25 down to Casper, WY, and then turn west.

Either way is going to add about 4 hours to your driving time, but will be much safer. And of course, if it’s cold & snowing up in Montana, you’ll only have the southern route to Casper as an option.

From Billings, you’r only option into Yellowstone will be via Cody, WY and the East Entrance. The Northeast Entrance to Yellowstone has been closed since early June when the flood washed out all of the roads up there. Otherwise, the best way in would’ve been via one of the most famous & scenic roads in the US… the Beartooth Highway that runs from Red Lodge, MT, then through Cooke City, and to the Northeast Entrance. But again, that’s not an option this year.

But if you turn south at the Bighorns, and head towards Casper… well, now you have a couple of different options available to you for getting to Yellowstone. The first is to head west out of Casper to the town of Shoshoni, and then turn north towards Cody. This will take you through the beautiful Wind River Canyon, and also right by the famous hot springs in Thermopolis. Just before you get to Cody, you’ll even pass by Kanye’s ranch that he’s pretty much abandoned after he & Kim parted ways. Haha

Coming through Cody… well, it’s the town that “Buffalo Bill” Cody founded, and his name’s on just about everything. That said, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West is definitely worth a stop. 5 different museums that tell the story of the old west… including the country’s most famous firearm’s resource, if you’re into that sort of thing. Anyway… the East Entrance to Yellowstone is about an hour west of Cody… and from the park, you can exit via the South Entrance to Grand Teton Nat’l Park.

The 2nd option is to continue west at Shoshoni, skirt the Wind River Reservation to the south, and head directly towards Grand Teton… and from Teton, north into Yellowstone is you wanna try it that way.

You’ll again have a chance to check weather at a few towns along the way before you get there… as it’s a good 250 miles from Casper to the northern end of Grant Teton. But your last chance to avoid the area completely will be in Riverton. After that, the elevation rises steeply, and there’s only one road in & out of there.

Ok, I’ve rambled on enough and have probably bored the hell out of you by now. And I don’t mean to be condescending by any means. But I just can’t stress enough how wacky the weather can be out here this time of year, and how quickly it can change. I’m from Virginia myself, and my sons are still living & working there (Alexandria & Norfolk)… and these aren’t the “molehills” of the Blue Ridge & the Smokies. It can be gorgeous one day, sunny & warm.. and whiteout conditions the next. You just never know.
Sorry for the slow response! Thank you so much for this detailed response! Been dealing with fall out from Ian with family and friends down in Florida. I will definitely refer to your information as I nail down travel plans this weekend! Thanks again!
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
On your way west from Virginia, some of the best camping weather remains in the flat lands. There are endless state parks. Check them out on the internet.

Southern Wisconsin is great that time of year.
Kohler-Andrea is on western shore of Lake Michigan. It has Hiking and biking good for 3 to 5 days.
Devils Lake State Park is in the middle of Wisconsin. Excellent dramatic hiking good for 3 to 5 days. It is on the way to Mt. Rushmore.
Wyalusing State Park at the confluence of the Wisconsin River and the Mississippi River. Hiking the bluffs and meadows is good for 3 to 5 days. Driving park roads provides stunning views. Some access may be limited late in the month of October as the water may be off and winding roads closed. There is a county park across the Mississippi in Minnesota with camping and excellent views.
Indian Mounds National Monument is also across the river.

Reservations are required in early October. Some "first come, first serve" sites later.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/findapark
Thank you for this! Will see if we can work some of these into our travels, if not, definitely want to explore this area next year!
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cody
Posts: 1,742
Wyoming
Just a note… the Beartooth Pass was closed this morning in anticipation of 3-to-10 inches of snow up there this weekend. It isn’t scheduled to close for the year until mid-October… but last year it closed for the season on the 8th, and the year before that (2020) on the 10th.

They’re gonna do an assessment on Monday to see if it’s worth plowing & reopening, or just leave it closed for the season.

The first map below show the proximity of the highway to Yellowstone (highway in blue, the park outlined in red… and in the 2nd, I’ve circled Devil’s Tower, and the Bighorn range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9FA80F5-AA54-408B-BAB1-24CF4B557952.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	7469

Click image for larger version

Name:	0FD09389-6A13-42DD-836B-F6387CA33930.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	7470

Click image for larger version

Name:	85DF718F-C2AE-4677-9267-F89E0871387A.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	7471
__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Just a note… the Beartooth Pass was closed this morning in anticipation of 3-to-10 inches of snow up there this weekend. It isn’t scheduled to close for the year until mid-October… but last year it closed for the season on the 8th, and the year before that (2020) on the 10th.

They’re gonna do an assessment on Monday to see if it’s worth plowing & reopening, or just leave it closed for the season.

The first map below show the proximity of the highway to Yellowstone (highway in blue, the park outlined in red… and in the 2nd, I’ve circled Devil’s Tower, and the Bighorn range.

Attachment 7469

Attachment 7470

Attachment 7471
Thanks Tom!
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:02 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 33
Washington
Keep going west

Once you leave Mt Rushmore I’d either continue on I90 towards Seattle - you are still early enough to see Mt Rainier National Park then head south to the Redwoods and continue south - Yosemite might still be snow free and then head towards the coast and Paso Robles and follow the coast to southern CA
If those dosent work head to Utah from Mt Rushmore the. Through Las Vegas
Have fun!
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Wesley Chapel
Posts: 2,781
Florida
Sounds like one heck of a trip!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
xhogboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Custer
Posts: 128
South Dakota
Great advice from ATCguy!


We live in Custer. The Game Lodge Campground in Custer State Park is open year round. Reservations are required. Here's your starting point: https://reservations.gooutdoorssouth...2&ed=10/4/2022


French Creek RV Park and Campground in downtown Custer is also open year-round: Â* Â* French Creek RV Park and Campground - Home


If you're continuing west after leaving Custer, head west on Hwy 16 through Newcastle, WY and catch I-90 at Moorcroft; saves about an hour compared to going back up to Rapid City to hit I-90.


PM if you'd like more details about what to see/do in the Hills.


Fred
__________________
Fred and Carey
2014 Ram 3500 CC DRW 2wd (Max)
2015 V3605 (Valerie)
2003 H-D FLHP/2010 H-D FXDC
xhogboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:48 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, they really helped! Especially made me get my butt in gear and get some reservations, luckily I was able to find decent sites at decent prices, and boy, was I cutting it close to RV parks closing for the season!

We are staying 4 nights just outside of Rapid City, that should give us plenty of time to see lots of stuff south and west of Rushmore. Then heading to Devil's Tower KOA for the weekend which will let us see Deadwood and other stuff in that area. Got lucky and got a site they say is their best view of the tower, so we will close them out for the season, 3 nights there. Then heading to West Yellowstone and staying there for 3 nights, and that will give us a day in Yellowstone and a day in the Tetons. So far, 10 day weather reports look like it will be in our favor, fingers crossed!

Then heading to CA via Reno and expect to do some boondocking via Harvest Hosts, BoonDockers Welcome, State and National Parks. Should be a blast!

Thanks again everyone! May post some pictures as we move!
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:56 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK on the road View Post
Once you leave Mt Rushmore I’d either continue on I90 towards Seattle - you are still early enough to see Mt Rainier National Park then head south to the Redwoods and continue south - Yosemite might still be snow free and then head towards the coast and Paso Robles and follow the coast to southern CA
If those dosent work head to Utah from Mt Rushmore the. Through Las Vegas
Have fun!
Thanks TK! We are going to save that trip for next year when we plan to head up to Alaska. That sounds like it will be a good early season trip on the way up!
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Sounds like one heck of a trip!
Thanks! I'll let you know how the StarLink performs!
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:34 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cody
Posts: 1,742
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkichi View Post
...Then heading to Devil's Tower KOA for the weekend, 3 nights there. Then heading to West Yellowstone and staying there for 3 nights
Devil's Tower to West Yellowstone is gonna be a loonnnggg day on the road. 8+ hours of straight driving, at least... some of that time slowed by steep grades & traffic, regardless of weather, or which route you take (interstate thru Billings & Bozeman, or US-highway over the Bighorns thru Cody).

And that's with no stops for fuel, meals, photos, roadside attractions, etc.

You know your driving habits & tolerances better than me... but unless you're time crunched, I'd split that up if it were me.
__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:42 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Devil's Tower to West Yellowstone is gonna be a loonnnggg day on the road. 8+ hours of straight driving, at least... some of that time slowed by steep grades & traffic, regardless of weather, or which route you take (interstate thru Billings & Bozeman, or US-highway over the Bighorns thru Cody).

And that's with no stops for fuel, meals, photos, roadside attractions, etc.

You know your driving habits & tolerances better than me... but unless you're time crunched, I'd split that up if it were me.
Thanks! I was thinking that might be the case. We will play it by ear, if we need to break it up we will, I can always extend the stay in West Yellowstone a day or two as nothing past that is set in stone. Maybe I can find a nice Harvest Host in between....
__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:41 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fredericksburg
Posts: 22
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Devil's Tower to West Yellowstone is gonna be a loonnnggg day on the road. 8+ hours of straight driving, at least... some of that time slowed by steep grades & traffic, regardless of weather, or which route you take (interstate thru Billings & Bozeman, or US-highway over the Bighorns thru Cody).

And that's with no stops for fuel, meals, photos, roadside attractions, etc.

You know your driving habits & tolerances better than me... but unless you're time crunched, I'd split that up if it were me.
Tom: All of your recommendations have helped immensely. We have made it through all of the sites in SD, WY, and MT ahead of any weather and to be honest, the weather was friggin' wonderfully warm! We just made it to Idaho Falls today and will stay here for a few to recoup and enjoy the snow that is forecast for Sunday. Monday we will begin our trek to CA. I really appreciate all of the recommendations from yourself and the rest of the forum, it has helped us in making this early part of the trip a success and avoid any disastrous missteps!
__________________

__________________
Don

2017 Aerolite 213RBSL
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum
Donkichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Nice Place BUT!! | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2020 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×