New Voltage owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2023, 12:09 PM   #1

Wyoming
New Voltage owner

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum just purchased a new 2022 Voltage toyhauler. So far love this Fifth wheel but not impressed with the quality of the trim interior and exterior quality? My old Voltage seems like it was so much better quality? Anyone else having these issues?

Mrleveraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Your observations are normal. The quality of the build changes over the years. I have seen fewer complaints lately, but that may mean people read each others posts and choose not to complain.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 02:12 PM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Your observations are normal. The quality of the build changes over the years. I have seen fewer complaints lately, but that may mean people read each others posts and choose not to complain.
GotchA I was wondering if it was just my unit or across the board thank you
Old 08-06-2023, 02:48 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleveraction View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum just purchased a new 2022 Voltage toyhauler. So far love this Fifth wheel but not impressed with the quality of the trim interior and exterior quality? My old Voltage seems like it was so much better quality? Anyone else having these issues?

Just curious, how did you purchase a new 2022 Voltage so late in 2023? When I bought mine in early summer of 2017 it was a 2018 model year.

Also, as to the trim, several of the interior wood pieces started to just fall off and I had to glue them back on with new glue. Annoying but about as easy a fix as you could ask for. On the exterior side the vinyl decals started to fade terribly at about the 3 year mark and the vinyl trim under the front bedroom area came out and had to be replaced twice. The second time I just used clear silicon along the edges like caulk and now fine.

Kitchen slide out motor and gear box failed at about 3 year mark. Can’t blame that one on Dutchmen as they don’t make the parts. Wardrobe slide motor ripped off the wall as it was not anchored sufficiently. We made a metal bracket we attached to the trailer frame and then attached the motor to that—this one was their fault.

Suspension leaf springs failed on my two axle trailer. Seems to be very common on this style toy hauler. Replaced with custom made 10 leaf set up and new equalizers and shackles.

China bomb tires blew at year 2 or so and replaced all 4 with Goodyear Endurance tires.

Fridge didn’t cool during the day because installer had insulation tape blocking one of the fans from running and also too much air gap above the fridge allowing heat build up. Added insulation and cleared fan.

Both fresh water tanks were crushed during install and over time developed leaks. Those had to be patched twice because the second leak only showed after the first repair caused the second to show itself.

That is what I recall. Most dangerous and biggest expense was suspension, followed by water tanks.

I am sure there are more I can’t think of. [emoji3]
Old 08-06-2023, 10:07 PM   #5

Wyoming
I'm not sure why they had 2 left over Voltage toy haulers but they did and it was a smoking deal still had same warranty since it was new. Going in tomorrow for some warranty repairs will see how this goes. Absolutely love the camper just wish some parts were better quality.��
Old 08-07-2023, 12:26 AM   #6

California
Keep an eye on those tires. Not sure which model you have or if it is a two or three axle but your tires might over 2 years old now and will likely age out before they wear out.

You might consider new tires, especially if you have the Westlake’s, and even more so if you have a two axle trailer. Not trying to scare you but there could be over 3,500 lbs. on each tire and if one goes the other one on the same side almost certainly will right after.

Anyway, enjoy your new rig! Lots of good memories with mine.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:04 AM   #7

Wyoming
Thank you for the reminder I'm a car dealer and when I bought it I thought the same thing but forgot Im going to upgrade to something new and better mine is a 2 axle unit I had a Fuzion before and sold it for a Brookestone missed the Toyhauler glad to be back in a Toyhauler
Old 08-12-2023, 09:19 PM   #8

Nevada
Hi everyone,
Been on another Forum with my Truck Camper, I have a 2015 Voltage 3895 Toy Hauler, I have been one of the lucky ones, I changed out the Westlakes and was able to buy one Salius with the money made, Mind is 6wheels, so I can handle a little more weight, from the people I have talked with, most that have a 2 wheel toy Hauler stated that they are always over weight, with my side by side I am closed to overweight, I have had trouble with the trim inside and out, the Decals on the front last only 2 years because of the AZ sun that we go to every winter. Dutchman dealers are the s--ts and when we took our in a month after purchase, it took 2 months to repair, they said it was parts, and it was in for outside trim, No big repairs so far....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 12:05 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Just curious, how did you purchase a new 2022 Voltage so late in 2023? When I bought mine in early summer of 2017 it was a 2018 model year.

Also, as to the trim, several of the interior wood pieces started to just fall off and I had to glue them back on with new glue. Annoying but about as easy a fix as you could ask for. On the exterior side the vinyl decals started to fade terribly at about the 3 year mark and the vinyl trim under the front bedroom area came out and had to be replaced twice. The second time I just used clear silicon along the edges like caulk and now fine.

Kitchen slide out motor and gear box failed at about 3 year mark. Can’t blame that one on Dutchmen as they don’t make the parts. Wardrobe slide motor ripped off the wall as it was not anchored sufficiently. We made a metal bracket we attached to the trailer frame and then attached the motor to that—this one was their fault.

Suspension leaf springs failed on my two axle trailer. Seems to be very common on this style toy hauler. Replaced with custom made 10 leaf set up and new equalizers and shackles.

China bomb tires blew at year 2 or so and replaced all 4 with Goodyear Endurance tires.

Fridge didn’t cool during the day because installer had insulation tape blocking one of the fans from running and also too much air gap above the fridge allowing heat build up. Added insulation and cleared fan.

Both fresh water tanks were crushed during install and over time developed leaks. Those had to be patched twice because the second leak only showed after the first repair caused the second to show itself.

That is what I recall. Most dangerous and biggest expense was suspension, followed by water tanks.

I am sure there are more I can’t think of. [emoji3]
Where did you have your leaf springs made? Are they made with American steel? I went with a 4k 8 leaf spring but had one fail. Failure appears to be from cheap steel/manufacturing process.
bobkimtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 12:09 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleveraction View Post
I have 2016 3605 that had many issues with suspension. You can read all about it in the blogs. I hope your 2022 has resolved those problems. As for quality it goes hand in hand they don’t make trailers like they use to. Can’t beat the motor home quality and gvw when traveling on the highways.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:37 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkimtaylor View Post
Where did you have your leaf springs made? Are they made with American steel? I went with a 4k 8 leaf spring but had one fail. Failure appears to be from cheap steel/manufacturing process.

My leafs were made from a company called Triangle based in Fontana but the shop that installed them in North County San Diego specializes in suspension work for trucks and trailer plus off road trucks. The shop is in Escondido.