Grey tank help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #1

Tennessee
Grey tank help

hello everyone! First time poster here. I have a problem with my 2007 Dutchmen Denali 37 FKS Park model. The gray tank for the kitchen is full. The gray tank for the bathroom and shower is not full. We keep both gray tank valves open all the time.I have closed and open the valves multiple times and the kitchen grey tank is still full. I have attached pictures of the two valves where the gray tank is. I don't understand why the kitchen grey tank won't empty. I can't find any information on park models, as we have a regular toilet that water sits in the tank. Please help!! And thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191013_085148.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	5949  

Forrest137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Plugged drain pipe

There are multiple possible problems. The most likely is a plugged drain pipe. A flexible plumbing snake can be used to probe and open the drain.

A lose handle can leave the gate valve closed when the handle is in the open position.

Piles of stuff grown in a gray tank can break loose and block the drain.

Piles of stuff deposited can form a matt or lump that will block the drain.

The issues are the same as for a black water tank except the black tank drain pipe and valve is usually larger and will pass larger lumps.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

Illinois
Just asking, but is it backing up in the drain inside or is the gauge just saying it's full? The gauges are notoriously inaccurate.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #4

California
Two great replies by @Persistent and @lcv80 but one other piece of advice is many people say it is a bad idea to leave valves open because you want all the water and junk (food bits, grease, etc., to fill up the tank so when the valve is open you have the big volume help flush the tank. When open all the solid particles can clump together and dry out creating blockages.

Once you figure out whether you really do have a blockage or a bad gauge I would suggest keeping the valves closed all the time unless you are actually dumping the tanks.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

Tennessee
thanks everybody for the tips. I actually figured out that the two valves are my two gray tanks and the other valve on the front is the black. So I've had them mixed up this whole time. All is well now and emptied. Again thank you!
Forrest137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

California
If you've had your black valve open for a while, I'd completely fill and dump that tank a few times to flush out any build up. Or use a back flush kit.

Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote