Show off your Mods - Page 14 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #261

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post
With LED's, such as the ones that been suggested (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

They are 12v, so I don't need anything else (like a watt controller), right? I can just hook up directly to a 12v line/switch. Is that correct? If one wanted a dimmer, any suggestions?
Nothing more needed than a 12 volt DC source. Concerning dimmers, there are wireless dimmers and manual dimmers. I have and use both so give me a choice and I'll get the addy for you of what I use.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #262

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Nothing more needed than a 12 volt DC source. Concerning dimmers, there are wireless dimmers and manual dimmers. I have and use both so give me a choice and I'll get the addy for you of what I use.
I can see a benefit of both, I'll most likely look at wireless first. Thanks for sharing with me.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #263

Oklahoma
Wireless LED Light Dimmer Controller Brightness Adjustable Control DC 12V 24V 8A | eBay this one I use for the LEDs I have above the couch and dinette.
If you go with this one you'll need to occasionaly reset it by removing power to it. I just flip a switch and it's ready to go. I might have to do this more often if I don't use those LEDs over the couch
New DC 12V 8A 96W LED Light Dimmer Adjustable Bright Brightness Controller USA this one is over the bed for the LED reading lights.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #264

Tennessee
This mod is in my plans one day. Thanks for taking the guess work out of it.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #265

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
The blocks were so cool I copied the idea for my Kodiak. They work great. Thanks Fanboy.
Cool deal! Post em up. This is such a great thread. Love seeing everyone's ideas.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:38 AM   #266

Arizona
Following other suggestions, I've ordered the CAMCO 18" plug.
Amazon.com: Camco 55572 18" 50 AMP Locking Male/50 AMP Locking 90 Degree Female PowerGrip Dogbone Electrical Adapter: Automotive
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #267

Idaho
Simple table improvement

This was such a simple modification that I'd be surprised if it has already been posted...but if not, here it is: My Voltage 3905 came with two tables. One intended to be used inside (2 support poles and narrow) and a wider one for use in the garage (3 poles). It is usually just my wife and me and the wider table intended for the garage bench seating means having to scoot across the second bench on your butt to get access to the patio area (flattened garage door). So, since it is just the two of us, I got a spare receiver for the pole from the local RV store and attached it to the narrower table. That allows the narrower table to be used in place of the wider 3-pole table and means we can get to the patio without having the slide our butt across the opposite bench and still have plenty of room for the two of us to eat, but we have to sit side-by-side. When we have company, we use the wider table, but for 90%+ of our meals, we use the narrower table.
PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #268

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I am no electrician, but when I went to use a 12-volt source, I am getting something unexpected. I first decided to tap the 12-volt plug in receptacle. My voltmeter says that it is 12 volts (pos to pos post, neg to neg post). However, when I soldered wires to the two posts and run wire up to the switches panel area (perhaps 2 feet of wire) and then attach a length of LED lights, the voltage DROPS significantly to less than 6 volts, meaning the LEDs then either don't light, or barely light. Surely there is not enough power being used by the LEDs, so why the significant voltage drop? I had good solder joints and wouldn't think that 2 feet of fairly thin gauge wire to be behind the voltage drop. Can anyone with better electrical know-how than I have, explain what is going on and/or what the solution is?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #269

California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
This was such a simple modification that I'd be surprised if it has already been posted...but if not, here it is: My Voltage 3905 came with two tables. One intended to be used inside (2 support poles and narrow) and a wider one for use in the garage (3 poles). It is usually just my wife and me and the wider table intended for the garage bench seating means having to scoot across the second bench on your butt to get access to the patio area (flattened garage door). So, since it is just the two of us, I got a spare receiver for the pole from the local RV store and attached it to the narrower table. That allows the narrower table to be used in place of the wider 3-pole table and means we can get to the patio without having the slide our butt across the opposite bench and still have plenty of room for the two of us to eat, but we have to sit side-by-side. When we have company, we use the wider table, but for 90%+ of our meals, we use the narrower table.
Great idea! Do you mind posting a picture or pictures of this set up.👍
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #270

Nevada
Quote:
I am no electrician, but when I went to use a 12-volt source, I am getting something unexpected. I first decided to tap the 12-volt plug in receptacle. My voltmeter says that it is 12 volts (pos to pos post, neg to neg post). However, when I soldered wires to the two posts and run wire up to the switches panel area (perhaps 2 feet of wire) and then attach a length of LED lights, the voltage DROPS significantly to less than 6 volts, meaning the LEDs then either don't light, or barely light. Surely there is not enough power being used by the LEDs, so why the significant voltage drop? I had good solder joints and wouldn't think that 2 feet of fairly thin gauge wire to be behind the voltage drop. Can anyone with better electrical know-how than I have, explain what is going on and/or what the solution is?
Did you wire in series or parallel. Sounds like you wired in series.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #271

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Did you wire in series or parallel. Sounds like you wired in series.
Well, no idea. I attached the pos lead to the + attachment point on the LED strip and the neg lead to the - attachment point on the LED strip..these are right next to each other on the LED strip.

Does that provide enough info?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #272

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
Great idea! Do you mind posting a picture or pictures of this set up.👍
Don't have the unit here to get picture, but all you need is another receiver for the pole...set the table on one of the posts and have the new receiver in place on the second pole...mark the holes and then attach. It will be offset but the table is not unstable in the slightest. I can get a picture when I go to the trailer.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #273

Arizona
I'm fairly new to wiring, and I'm still trying to figure out how to wire my rig up. Could it be that your wire is too small and it's not carrying enough amps to carry the full 12v?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #274

Nevada
Quote:
Well, no idea. I attached the pos lead to the + attachment point on the LED strip and the neg lead to the - attachment point on the LED strip..these are right next to each other on the LED strip.

Does that provide enough info?
Get you meter out read voltage From positive to Ground on spot of where you are going to connect should read around 14v-12V.
Then measure negative side to ground this should read about 0v.
If you look behind there are a multiple wires wire nut together usually white wires this is common ground. Use the common ground for the negative side of led's. where you find the 12v you will use for positive side of led's.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #275

Idaho
Quote:
Don't have the unit here to get picture, but all you need is another receiver for the pole...set the table on one of the posts and have the new receiver in place on the second pole...mark the holes and then attach. It will be offset but the table is not unstable in the slightest. I can get a picture when I go to the trailer.

Hopefully the images will show up and show what needs showing...ok, apparently I can't figure out how to post the images. If anyone can suggest how to do this, I'd appreciate the suggestion. I have them on Dropbox and I click on the image and it offers "share link"...which I then paste into this forums box for inserting an image location. Can't I just upload the image?
Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #276

California
You have to go to post reply not just quick reply. Once on post reply click on the attachments paper clip & a box will come up.
Hope that helps.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #277

Idaho
Here are pics of the table mod. The one post that is not attached to the table top would obviously be removed. The empty receiver is the one that would be used if using the smaller table in the gallery. And sorry for the clutter. Kind of cramped in there now, so just took the pics...didn't try to straighten up.

And thanks DesertRat for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140825_123801.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1391   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140825_123931.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1392   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140825_123948.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1393  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #278

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmons View Post
I'm fairly new to wiring, and I'm still trying to figure out how to wire my rig up. Could it be that your wire is too small and it's not carrying enough amps to carry the full 12v?
I suppose that is possible, but considering how little current is needed for the LEDs, I can't imagine the wire size to length to be the issue. I definitely get a 12 volt read on the voltmeter when checking voltage at the plug (cigarette lighter type plug-in receptacle).
Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #279

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Get you meter out read voltage From positive to Ground on spot of where you are going to connect should read around 14v-12V.
Then measure negative side to ground this should read about 0v.
If you look behind there are a multiple wires wire nut together usually white wires this is common ground. Use the common ground for the negative side of led's. where you find the 12v you will use for positive side of led's.
I think I understand...to restate. I connect a wire at the positive post on the cigarette lighters positive post...this I connect to the pos. position on the LEDs. From the neg position on the LEDs, I should attach a wire there and the other end to a group of white wires wire-nutted together to serve as the negative (ground) for the LEDs.

I will try this and report.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #280

Nevada
Be surer you don't have voltage on wire nuted wires.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI