2014 Voltage 3895 LED's - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

California
Post 2014 Voltage 3895 LED's

Hello Voltage Owners,

My wife and I just purchased a 2014 3895. Looking to upgrade the interior lighting to LED. Not looking to make changes to the mood lighting of the 3 hanging lights over the kitchen counter, but pretty much everywhere else. Does anyone know what type of LED and where to buy? I would also like to do the same to the exterior work lights, but don't know if the same interior LED would work. Anything you could assist with would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

crobs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #2

Washington
If you can't find the info here, look on myvoltagerv.com. Tom has done this mod, and I plan too as well, when it thaws out. IIRC he lists the bulb #'s and where he purchased them.

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Arkansas
I got mine from M4
I used the 5050 SMD Warm White Light Bulb with Wedge Base 10-30 Volt for all the Wedge Base lights.
G4 / T3 Retrofit LED Light Cool Bright White with Side Pins Replaces 10w Halogen for all the small puck lights.
Large G4 / T3 Retrofit LED Light Cool Bright White with Side Pins Replaces 20w Halogen for all the large puck lights.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

California
Mike and slb5146,

Thank you both for the reply. I will check out myvoltagerv.com and have seen the G4 lights as well. The puck lights look pretty tough to pull out with the glass lenses. I will follow up if I can make the LED change and hopefully put up pics as well.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobs9 View Post
The puck lights look pretty tough to pull out with the glass lenses.
It's really not that hard. Just take your finger tips and pull down on the fixture:

Keep pulling down:

Until you can grasp the fixture with you finger and thumb:

Then unscrew the glass lenses.
If it would be easier keep pulling the fixture downward:

Until the little spring clips pop out being careful that they don't snap you finger. It's like getting your finger in a mouse trap if that spring flips out on your finger:

With the fixture completely out it should be an easy matter of pulling out the old bulb and plugging in the new LED.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Try and keep your bare fingers off the Halogen lamps, they don't like body oils. Same as the LEDs, get some linen gloves to handle the lamps for a longer life.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

California
Steve,

Wow...thank you for the picture detail and the assistance. Truly appreciated. I was afraid to pull down too hard on the lenses as they felt spring loaded and I did not want to snap them, but these pics sure did help. I will let you know how the MOD finished up!!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

Texas
How do these lights compare to the halogens in terms of brightness?

I'm also wondering what the "wedge base lights" are?
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #9

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
How do these lights compare to the halogens in terms of brightness?

I'm also wondering what the "wedge base lights" are?
We brought the 5050 LEDs because they are brighter. I think they put out about the same amount of light as the halogens. I don't know about the lumens for the halogen but the LED is 360 Lumens.

Here is what the Wedge Base LEDs look like:
Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #10

Arizona
I changed out all of the lights in my Voltage 3905 except for the pantry light and the steps. I didn't even know they were there for a couple of weeks. I find that they are not as bright as the original lights but are bright enough. And they use almost no electricity. Seriously. I have an inverter control panel that shows me how many amps are being used. I don't remember the exact number but it was something like this. With all the original bulbs turned on I was drawing in the neighborhood of 60 amps. With the LED's all turned on I am drawing less than 2 amps.

The photos that slb5146 put here are helpful, but be careful when removing those lenses. I let one of the first ones I changed slip and it hit the bathroom vanity and broke. I how have a few spare lenses I purchased and will most likely never use. I found that the recessed lights in the area that are plywood would not pull down far enough to get a hold of. So I inserted a screwdriver blade to keep them from turning in place. I also decided it was safer to use a piece of duct tape doubled over and placed on the lens when removing. Saved me a lot of fumbling with them. I just gives you something to get a grip on if the lens tries to get away from you.

This was not a 20 minute light bulb changing project for me. I am getting on in years and it took me a good day to do the job. The one above the steps leading into the bedroom was a bitch to get to.

Also, I found that the warm white color is much more appealing than the cool white. Personal preference I suppose, but the cool white has than blue appearance.

Home Depot and Wal-mart have some nice battery operated LED lights for other areas. Under the kitchen sink, closets etc. I have them everywhere, almost.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote