2014 Voltage 3895 LED's - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

California
Post 2014 Voltage 3895 LED's

Hello Voltage Owners,

My wife and I just purchased a 2014 3895. Looking to upgrade the interior lighting to LED. Not looking to make changes to the mood lighting of the 3 hanging lights over the kitchen counter, but pretty much everywhere else. Does anyone know what type of LED and where to buy? I would also like to do the same to the exterior work lights, but don't know if the same interior LED would work. Anything you could assist with would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

crobs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #2

Washington
If you can't find the info here, look on myvoltagerv.com. Tom has done this mod, and I plan too as well, when it thaws out. IIRC he lists the bulb #'s and where he purchased them.

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Arkansas
I got mine from M4
I used the 5050 SMD Warm White Light Bulb with Wedge Base 10-30 Volt for all the Wedge Base lights.
G4 / T3 Retrofit LED Light Cool Bright White with Side Pins Replaces 10w Halogen for all the small puck lights.
Large G4 / T3 Retrofit LED Light Cool Bright White with Side Pins Replaces 20w Halogen for all the large puck lights.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

California
Mike and slb5146,

Thank you both for the reply. I will check out myvoltagerv.com and have seen the G4 lights as well. The puck lights look pretty tough to pull out with the glass lenses. I will follow up if I can make the LED change and hopefully put up pics as well.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobs9 View Post
The puck lights look pretty tough to pull out with the glass lenses.
It's really not that hard. Just take your finger tips and pull down on the fixture:

Keep pulling down:

Until you can grasp the fixture with you finger and thumb:

Then unscrew the glass lenses.
If it would be easier keep pulling the fixture downward:

Until the little spring clips pop out being careful that they don't snap you finger. It's like getting your finger in a mouse trap if that spring flips out on your finger:

With the fixture completely out it should be an easy matter of pulling out the old bulb and plugging in the new LED.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Try and keep your bare fingers off the Halogen lamps, they don't like body oils. Same as the LEDs, get some linen gloves to handle the lamps for a longer life.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

California
Steve,

Wow...thank you for the picture detail and the assistance. Truly appreciated. I was afraid to pull down too hard on the lenses as they felt spring loaded and I did not want to snap them, but these pics sure did help. I will let you know how the MOD finished up!!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

Texas
How do these lights compare to the halogens in terms of brightness?

I'm also wondering what the "wedge base lights" are?
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #9

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
How do these lights compare to the halogens in terms of brightness?

I'm also wondering what the "wedge base lights" are?
We brought the 5050 LEDs because they are brighter. I think they put out about the same amount of light as the halogens. I don't know about the lumens for the halogen but the LED is 360 Lumens.

Here is what the Wedge Base LEDs look like:
Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #10

Arizona
I changed out all of the lights in my Voltage 3905 except for the pantry light and the steps. I didn't even know they were there for a couple of weeks. I find that they are not as bright as the original lights but are bright enough. And they use almost no electricity. Seriously. I have an inverter control panel that shows me how many amps are being used. I don't remember the exact number but it was something like this. With all the original bulbs turned on I was drawing in the neighborhood of 60 amps. With the LED's all turned on I am drawing less than 2 amps.

The photos that slb5146 put here are helpful, but be careful when removing those lenses. I let one of the first ones I changed slip and it hit the bathroom vanity and broke. I how have a few spare lenses I purchased and will most likely never use. I found that the recessed lights in the area that are plywood would not pull down far enough to get a hold of. So I inserted a screwdriver blade to keep them from turning in place. I also decided it was safer to use a piece of duct tape doubled over and placed on the lens when removing. Saved me a lot of fumbling with them. I just gives you something to get a grip on if the lens tries to get away from you.

This was not a 20 minute light bulb changing project for me. I am getting on in years and it took me a good day to do the job. The one above the steps leading into the bedroom was a bitch to get to.

Also, I found that the warm white color is much more appealing than the cool white. Personal preference I suppose, but the cool white has than blue appearance.

Home Depot and Wal-mart have some nice battery operated LED lights for other areas. Under the kitchen sink, closets etc. I have them everywhere, almost.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #11

Oklahoma
I'm thinking you must have had nearly 60 10 watt 12 volt Halogen lamps burning to draw 60 amps.

Ohm's Law tells me a 10 watt lamp at 12 volts draws a tad over .8 amps, not even one amp.

Conversely, working the other way, 60 amps at 12 volts would be 720 watts of power made. Given an estimate of 35 puck lights in the rigs each one would be 20 watt lamps.

It seems as if you had more consumption going on than just the estimated Halogen lamps unless they were 20 watts lamps. All but four of mine were 10 watt lamps but 95% of my Halogens have been replaced with 10 watt LEDs.

The 2 amp draw from the LEDs is a reasonable number however.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I'm thinking you must have had nearly 60 10 watt 12 volt Halogen lamps burning to draw 60 amps.

Ohm's Law tells me a 10 watt lamp at 12 volts draws a tad over .8 amps, not even one amp.

Conversely, working the other way, 60 amps at 12 volts would be 720 watts of power made. Given an estimate of 35 puck lights in the rigs each one would be 20 watt lamps.

It seems as if you had more consumption going on than just the estimated Halogen lamps unless they were 20 watts lamps. All but four of mine were 10 watt lamps but 95% of my Halogens have been replaced with 10 watt LEDs.

The 2 amp draw from the LEDs is a reasonable number however.
I can go through and count all the different lights, there are a bunch of them. And in my 60 amp draw I am counting all the larger draw exterior work lights.

All in all I am extremely happy with my LED lights. I can light the rig up like a white Christmas tree and go visit neighbors. Hard to miss it in a large flock of campers.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #13

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I find that they are not as bright as the original lights but are bright enough.
I am curious about the type LED that you used. Where did you get them? Could you provide a Link if you ordered them online? Do your LED's use the 5050 LED Chips? The 5050's are brighter than some of the cheaper LED's.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #14

Arizona
The Brightest Ba15s LED Light Bulb Replacement - Warm White Color - 2nd Generation with 66 LED's - Single Contact Base - 10-30V DC : Amazon.com : Automotive

The above are the work security and porch lights. They are plenty bright.

LEDwholesalers T10 LED 194 Wedge base, Dash Board or Dome Light Bulbs 12v DC 15 SMD LED 1.44 Watt 105 Lumen Warm White, 1415WW : Amazon.com : Automotive

LEDwholesalers Tower Type G4 12v Ac/dc 15 LED Holagen Bulb Replacemnt for Rv Camper Trailer Boat Marine 1.44 Watt 105 Lumen Warm White 1411ww - Amazon.com

I'm pretty sure these second two are what I went with. I ended up returning some that were cool white. Had I seen the 50/50 I would have and still might order some. The hanging mood lights are the one I would like to have brighter. I cant remember which is bayonet and which is pin light right now but will look into that in the morning. I remember on the pin style light I purchased I had to cut about 3/16" of the pins off to get the light to fit into the small puck light fixtures. It's been awhile so my memory is not real fresh.

I can check them tomorrow. I went and bought everything all at once and made some mistakes. We were gearing up to leave on a three month maiden voyage so I felt rushed. If you are not in a hurry to get then changed all at once I would recommend doing a little at a time and get it right the first time. Like I mentioned above, I may be replacing some of my light choices.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #15

California
Arlan,

I appreciate all the follow up. I ordered the cool white lights 5050. I am hoping that they do not emit too much blue, but thought they were much brighter than the warm white lights that I looked at.

I do not plan on changing the hanging mood lights over the counter. Have you changed out the lights in the corner of the pop-out that are push button on?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Have you changed out the lights in the corner of the pop-out that are push button on?
I don't understand the question.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #17

California
I will try and send over a pic
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #18

Nevada
Arlin: I think he is talking the Sconce lights above couch.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #19

Arkansas
Quote:
Have you changed out the lights in the corner of the pop-out that are push button on?
I think you are referring to the corner lights in the Living Room Slide-out. I did change out the halogen bulbs to the 5050 Warm White Wedge type LED's.

I also installed a pull-chain for the five overhead puck lights in the slide-out. We didn't like the overhead lights on all the time but wanted the little corner lights on most of the time. We could not do that without the pull-chain because they were all wired together on one rocker switch in the control center. Here is a picture to try to illustrate my pull-chain addition.

I just drilled a small hole for the pull-chain cord and placed the switch above the small hole. All 5 of the puck lights were wired from that one puck light so the switch controls all 5 puck lights. We don't use those puck lights very often so the pull-chain is used very little.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #20

Arizona
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
I think you are referring to the corner lights in the Living Room Slide-out. I did change out the halogen bulbs to the 5050 Warm White Wedge type LED's.

I also installed a pull-chain for the five overhead puck lights in the slide-out. We didn't like the overhead lights on all the time but wanted the little corner lights on most of the time. We could not do that without the pull-chain because they were all wired together on one rocker switch in the control center. Here is a picture to try to illustrate my pull-chain addition.

I just drilled a small hole for the pull-chain cord and placed the switch above the small hole. All 5 of the puck lights were wired from that one puck light so the switch controls all 5 puck lights. We don't use those puck lights very often so the pull-chain is used very little.
I see what crobs9 was referring to now. My 3905 does not have those (push button) lights. Instead I have more glass. I would rather have the lights. Looking at the wall space in the photo, I think my slide may be wider but I don't know that for a fact. I find a lot of heat is transferred into the coach through all of that glass. I am looking into window awnings right now. I actually have to consider at what angle I park as not to get a bunch of sunshine coming though those windows.