Check new units carefully - Dutchmen Owners
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > Dutchmen News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #1

Montana
Check new units carefully

OK, just noticed another quality control issue. there is NO caulking around my outdoor kitchen... Zero, nada, zip... I see the foam backing that establishes a barrier but it doesn't appear to be water "proof." From the inside, no leakage...but that would just be a matter of time.

Off to get Marine clear silicone or whatever it is... Gotta wait till I get a day at least in the 50's with the sun on it. Grrrr... So far, the rear light covers fell off, they "fixed" them with silicone as they would not "click" into place and they fell off again. So, I pointed it out and they put a new set of NON-OEM ones on. lots of little fit and finish things, and sealed up a hole where the water lines go into the belly of the trailer. It looks like a fix at the plant after manufacture and they didn't seal up the hole.

I expected these thing, to be honest, but still frustrating... I have a new Aspen Trail 2340BHSWE.

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Most definitely not standing up for the manufacturer but it is not always their fault when crap happens.
The tail light covers falling off isn't their fault, they didn't make the assembly they only bought a car load of the cheapest stuff available.

RVs and camping go together and that's nature. The manufacturer supports nature and its critters so they don't take special pains to seal all the penetration points on the units. When camping the mice and spiders and ants need an easy access point so there it is.

Also, keep in mind, if the unit is entirely sealed tighter than a bull's a$$ at fly time there wouldn't be anywhere fro the water to drain when a pipe breaks or slips off a connector.

Now see, don't you feel bad now that you understand?

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Most definitely not standing up for the manufacturer but it is not always their fault when crap happens.
The tail light covers falling off isn't their fault, they didn't make the assembly they only bought a car load of the cheapest stuff available.

RVs and camping go together and that's nature. The manufacturer supports nature and its critters so they don't take special pains to seal all the penetration points on the units. When camping the mice and spiders and ants need an easy access point so there it is.

Also, keep in mind, if the unit is entirely sealed tighter than a bull's a$$ at fly time there wouldn't be anywhere fro the water to drain when a pipe breaks or slips off a connector.

Now see, don't you feel bad now that you understand?
Much better... I knew I would have..."issues." All the core systems are working fine and that was my main concern so, I'm good. I can fix the rest myself. As soon as it quits snowing and going down the the teens, yes, I live in Montana and it is April 19th with four or more inches of snow falling... I will pressurize the water system while I have the bed and under sink and under stove opened.

I noticed that the undersink storage on these is really kind of not well done. I'm working on it but found one from 2018 in a vid (look at 1:25 into the video) and they did a much better job with the under sink storage back then. I wonder why they changed it... They did put the stainless sink in, but there is still room for a drawer in there and the shelf and the door by the main door to the trailer.

I'm getting ideas and you can either build or buy drawers/internal doors and buy make facing.
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #4

Michigan
check it out

Ordered a 4225 and also lined up an RV Inspection at the dealer to be completed during the PDI. Especially in this environment with absenteeism high in manufacturing plants and laborers doing jobs they don't normally complete.
ekmezsets@yahoo.com
emezsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfour5 View Post
Much better... I knew I would have..."issues." All the core systems are working fine and that was my main concern so, I'm good. I can fix the rest myself. As soon as it quits snowing and going down the the teens, yes, I live in Montana and it is April 19th with four or more inches of snow falling... I will pressurize the water system while I have the bed and under sink and under stove opened.

I noticed that the undersink storage on these is really kind of not well done. I'm working on it but found one from 2018 in a vid (look at 1:25 into the video) and they did a much better job with the under sink storage back then. I wonder why they changed it... They did put the stainless sink in, but there is still room for a drawer in there and the shelf and the door by the main door to the trailer.

I'm getting ideas and you can either build or buy drawers/internal doors and buy make facing.
I did the door mod to improve access to the huge area under the sink and put in a second level and as part of this discovered "handles" that also work as towel holders. Very nice perfect match for the OEM handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Mod 1 (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	6865   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_121653.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	6866   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_125659.jpg
Views:	26