Hot water heater & furnace - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2023, 07:16 AM   #1

Texas
Hot water heater & furnace

What would cause the hot water heater and the furnace to stop working at the same time? I can hear the pilot for the furnace kicking on and off repeatedly about every 20 seconds but it's not staying on to allow the air to get hot. The hot water heater is doing the same thing. I think it's odd that both of them started doing it at the exact same time and I truly don't know why or what would cause it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #2

Montana
My thoughts would be
- ran out of propane
- issue with propane regulator
- compromised propane lines

Can other propane appliances work? Stove burners, fridge on propane, etc?

Old 11-11-2023, 02:32 AM   #3

Texas
Everything else works. I finally went to bed around 3am after trying to figure it out and when I woke up the hot water heater was working. I had to catch a flight so I'm not sure about the furnace so I will check that out as soon as I get back.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 08:47 PM   #4

Virginia
I am no expert but I had a similar issue with my furnace. I did some research on youtube and my issue was a sail switch. It senses air flow and if it malfunctions it won't allow the furnace to ignite. They are about $20 and I ordered one but while I was waiting for it to arrive, I sprayed the old one with contact cleaner and it has worked ever since. I'm saving the new one as a spare part. I'm not saying this is your problem but it is worth considering. Good luck.
bls82261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:09 PM   #5

North Carolina
Hot Water and Furnace Simultaneous Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
What would cause the hot water heater and the furnace to stop working at the same time? I can hear the pilot for the furnace kicking on and off repeatedly about every 20 seconds but it's not staying on to allow the air to get hot. The hot water heater is doing the same thing. I think it's odd that both of them started doing it at the exact same time and I truly don't know why or what would cause it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Does you gas stove work? If yes, that eliminates the regulator? Check for kinks in the hosing?

If the furnace and the hot water are separated from each other, it is unlikely that two sail switches would fail simultaneously.

Are the fans coming on or are you just hearing the igniter click on and off?

Art Whalen
Art W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:56 PM   #6

Florida
Dirt dobbers love propane and will build nests in the intake tubes- way up in the tube.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote