Portable generator question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #1

Arkansas
Portable generator question

I have a 35' Dutchman toy hauler. It is 30amp but I intend to upgrade it to 50amp. I have a large generator on my Avion and miss that convience when traveling with the toy hauler. The Avion is now setup to use as a guest house so the generator is important.

The unit has one A/C and nothing out of the ordinary. The water heater could be used with propane.

I am looking to buy a portable that I will carry in the pickup bed. I understand that starting power is important and would assume that would be the deciding factor.
So my questions are:
1. How large to run everything and
2. Can the regular power cord be used to plug in to the generator?

Anything I missed let me know.

Thanks,
Bill

labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #2

Georgia
Smile Inverter Type Generator ONLY

Hello,
The Generator needs to be an inverter style so as not to ruin all of your RV electrical/Electronics. Basically, a computer-controlled generator to ensure a constant and accurate flow rate of AC to your RV. Those big-box stores cheap "Contractor power" generators will FRY your RV's power center box and possibly a few appliances as well. Way more dollars in the long run and IT WILL HAPPEN!

Secondly, figure out your wattage needs approximately to size the generator properly. I personally bought a Robins-Subaru 4300ise (Discontinued) and it powered a 30 amp RV with plenty of power to spare running anything and everything including the 15k AC. It even doubled down and powered two 30 amp RV's but I am not sure (Do not remember) if either were also running the AC at that instance.

These are more or less made for the RV industry so they are also Q U I E T!

Here is a helpful link to get you started: https://healthyhandyman.com/best-inv...r-rvs-camping/

I hope that helped a little.

Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #3

Georgia
OH, almost forgot: A 30 amp generator will have a 30 amp TWIST-LOCK plug, so if you have a 30 Amp RV male to plug into it, you will need a "generator dongle" (Dog Bone) adapter. This adapter will be a standard straight female plug 30 Amp end to a 30 Amp male twist-lock end to plug into your generator...
Old 03-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #4

Arkansas
Understand. I do have the bone but have never used it. Was given to me so I just held on to it.

Our local Pawnshop has a couple nice generators in very good condition. An ACDelco, 6500 surge and 6000 running with dual start and a Gentron PRO2 10,000W peak with dual start. Both are gas only.

Trying to decide which one. ACDelco a few hundread cheaper but both better then a new one.

Thanks for your help.
Bill
Old 03-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by labill View Post
I am looking to buy a portable that I will carry in the pickup bed. I understand that starting power is important and would assume that would be the deciding factor.
So my questions are:
1. How large to run everything and
2. Can the regular power cord be used to plug in to the generator?

Anything I missed let me know.

Thanks,
Bill
120 v X 30 a = 3600 watts

240 v X 50 a = 12000 watts

The following are approximate. Read label on appliance for actual values.

Air conditioner - 1500 watts
Micro wave - 1500 watts
water heater - 1500 watts
space heater - 1500 watts
TT 50 amp converter/charger working at full capacity - 600 watts
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #6

Florida
You will need to make sure that with a generator that you have TWO 110v legs NOT 220. Even the 50 amp RV uses this setup.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Arkansas
Most of the ones I have seen have 1-220 4 prongs and 1-110 3 prongs plus the normal 110 receptacles.

The two units I am looking at have this setup.

This will not work?
Old 03-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #8

Florida
110 single phase 30 amp will run your RV. The 220 will not.... well, maybe for a moment or two.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:09 PM   #9

Florida
Our triton is 50 amp came with onan 5.5 works great I have a spare portable home generator predator 3500 that I used just because. I ran one AC and all was good I did not use micro it’s a amp killer with everything else on. for fun we hooked up my friends 2 in tandem Honda 2200s that also worked well no issues All our best from fla
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #10

Georgia
Who is the moderator for this section of the forum?
I am brand new and so my very first post was here on this question so it was censored until a Moderator had judged it
My next post that was an afterthought was posted BUT NOT MY ORIGINAL DETAILED RESPONSE for this gentleman!

Hello?????
Old 03-05-2020, 01:55 AM   #11

Arkansas
I emailed Gentron and asked them about this used unit. There response was within a day and they sent me a manual. That makes for confidence in a company.

Leaning towards this unit because of the power.

Want to thank everyone for the help and advice. That's what makes this a great forum.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-07-2020, 02:09 AM   #12

Florida
Youtube shows some pretty good real world uses and quarks of what you may be looking at hope this helps All our best FLA

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote