Please help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2024, 05:14 PM   #1

Ohio
Please help

So I have a I believe mid 90s Dutchman like 32 ft camper well it didn't have a box where the camper plugs into so I went and bought a breaker box to plug the camper in and so I got it hooked up and plugged it in and Nothing I'm not sure where so my bf took the lil electric tester thing and it shows the box in the camper (with the fuses) is getting power but irs nothing is turning on I was even told to switch wires around and still nothing. I am about to be homeless and I need this camper. They also have a huge shed with a breaker box connected but the tester says there's nothing going to tha shed...

WHAT AM I MISSING
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I HAVE NO IDEA

Katiethelady86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:00 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethelady86 View Post
So I have a I believe mid 90s Dutchman like 32 ft camper well it didn't have a box where the camper plugs into so I went and bought a breaker box to plug the camper in and so I got it hooked up and plugged it in and Nothing I'm not sure where so my bf took the lil electric tester thing and it shows the box in the camper (with the fuses) is getting power but irs nothing is turning on I was even told to switch wires around and still nothing. I am about to be homeless and I need this camper. They also have a huge shed with a breaker box connected but the tester says there's nothing going to tha shed...

WHAT AM I MISSING
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I HAVE NO IDEA
The description you provided is confusing.

Please provide make, model, and year of the RV for better advice. Pictures of what you did will help greatly.

Since I do not know exactly what is going on, I will proved an overall typical analysis.

What devices are not working? Some work on a 12 volt DC system. Some work on a 120 volt AC system.

First, you must have a connection to the power grid.
RV's may use a
15 amp 120 volt connection.
20 amp 120 volt connection.
30 amp 120 volt connection.
50 amp 240 volt split phase connection.
Which one are you trying to connect to.

You may use a generator in place of a connection to the power grid. Are you using a generator?

Second, you must have a cable that connects the grid power to the RV. What kind of cable are you using? 30 amp and 50 amp systems have special connectors.

Third, the RV needs a main breaker and service panel with branch breakers.
Does the RV have them? What is the main breaker capacity?

From here on, thing can vary. There is the 120 volt side of the RV and a 12 volt side of the RV.

There may be more than one 120 volt circuit in the RV. Each should have its own branch breaker in the main service panel. How many branch breakers are there?

There may be a converter/charger or inverter/charger installed. Post make and model of charger. These devices convert 120 volts to 12 volts. One of the branch breakers will provide 120 volts to the device.

The 12 volt output of the charger will charge the RV batteries and provide 12 volts to lights, propane furnace, water pump and other 12 volt devices.

There will be a 12 volt fuse panel with a fuse for each device.

Please see attached links for a better explanation.

12 volt Side of Life part 1
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

12 volt Side of Life part 2
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2
Some of the information is a little dated, but it is still pretty good

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:29 PM   #3

Ohio
Camper

I have a camper and I didn't have the box that the keeper plugged in to which is the breaker box. So we went and bought the breaker box and hooked it up, we got power going to the camper, but nothing's working. It shows power with the little power tester thing that the breakers are getting power. But nothing is coming on nothing's working. We switched the wires around thinking that they were backwards. But they were still nothing. We pulled the fuses out and we put them back in nothing. On the breaker box inside of the camper. It says 45 AMP I bought a 30 amp box. Could that be why but it also has a 30 amp cord.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:31 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Pictures?
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:38 PM   #5

Ohio
Pictures of what? I can't take pics it's like a 95 Dutchman pull behind
Old 01-17-2024, 12:46 PM   #6

Florida
Are you running 110 to the camper? Are the 12 volt systems working?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:14 PM   #7

Texas
2020 Kodiak Cub bought new has rotted slide floor.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:28 PM   #8

Florida
,don’t you wish that sometimes, they would have the decency to update us on what’s going on? They ask for help then seem to disappear…

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote